Have you? Would You?

Have you or would you ever date someone with wildly different views on religion?

• Yes.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I'm not sure, relationships are so complex.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Angelus

Daughter Of House Ravenhearte
Registered Senior Member
Have you or would you ever date/marry someone with wildly different views on religion than you. Ex. Athiest dating a fundamentalist christian and vice versa.

A heathen dating a fundy? Thats like a penguin dating a tree, what the hell are the two going to do together?
I have dated women with oppisite views, but they were not that drastically different. I just don't see love conquering a fundamentalist's beliefs.

ZERO MASS

If the date is for sex then who cares what anyone thinks. Otherwise it is a relationship doomed to failure.

Originally posted by Cris
If the date is for sex then who cares what anyone thinks. Otherwise it is a relationship doomed to failure.

damn cris don't scare me! my girlfriend is not a fundy, but she is pretty strong on her belief in god.... and to a lesser extent in the whole jesus thing... been with her for about a year and a half.. but to tell you the truth.. i do see that in the future this could become a problem.. if we were to say.... have children.. how would we raise them? i think i'm pretty easy going and open to any beliefs... so i think they'll become christian after being dragged (haha!) to church by her.. then eventually they'll talk to me about my views.. and we'll see what happens from there... i hope things work out between us though.. i don't want religious / theistic views to affect our future... give me some love advice cris!!! :D

Haha, religion effects me like deadly kryptonite. I'm serious, if you press a crucifix to my skin it has the same effect as in all them Dracula movies, my flesh sizzles and when you pull it away I've got this big red scar! I couldn't date anyone who regularly attends any sort of church or synagogue or mosk or what have you.

I did date a Christian that was a bit on the fundamentalist side. I just wouldn’t work for me. I remember telling her I was agnostic (Atheists would have been to hard for her and I did want to eventually get some!) She just looked at me blank. Then I explained and afterwards she started praying for me every time she went to church – which was fine. THEN she wanted me to go to church. I had to cut it off then. That said, my partner is Buddhist and her father is a Buddhist priest. I really don’t mind at all. There’s a difference – Christians tend to want to convert you and seem to think you have a fundamental flaw – and perhaps you’re in league with Satan :) Whereas, Buddhists just go with the flow (at least the ones I’ve meet).

I married a christian, and I am no supporter of religion. It works nice... she goes to church on Sunday, I sleep till noon. We've agreed that our children will have the option of attending church when they're old enough to decide (10-13?). Fortunately, my wifes worldview is not based on a literal view of the bible... so we still agree on most everything.

Sage,

Ah oh, sorry.

give me some love advice cris!!!
Hmm, not sure that this will work.

I married a Christian when we were 22 (1975). It was a very pretty English village Christian church wedding. During the several preparation sessions before the wedding I told the vicar that I was an atheist. He didn’t react very well. He stated that if he was to marry us then I would have to agree to raise any children as Christians. The fact that I had never been christened also gave him problems. After that session my fiancée very angrily ordered me to stay silent and go along with whatever he asked. Perhaps that was a sign I should have heeded. At the next session I dutifully lied and the vicar agreed to marry us. I went along with the ceremony and lied in all the right places, at least where the God parts were concerned.

My wife’s faith was pretty strong, and she attended church regularly, or rather did before we were married, and at one point before we were married she had been a Sunday school teacher.

We divorced 18 years later and that was 11 years ago. During our marriage we never touched on religion except by accident and then only briefly. It was a touchy subject and we had silently and mutually agreed to avoid it. It was not a big part of our lives. That was a pity because I would have loved to have discussed it in depth and often. Marriage seemed to require many compromises which I now resent. From that experience I decided that the loss of personal freedom was far too high a price to pay for a personal relationship. I have no plans to remarry or date again, although I have dated a number of times since the divorce.

We have 3 daughters who are now aged 21, 19, and 17, and no we never raised them as Christians. However, when they were younger I took them to the local village Christian group sessions on Sunday mornings. There wasn’t much in the village and these sessions had some good non-religious play activities. There was of course always a Christian lesson involved. I also went along and joined the other parents in the farmhouse kitchen for coffee. It was there that we held our real religious debates with me as the sole atheist. These were often lively and controversial and of course I was hopelessly outnumbered, but I learnt a lot. Bear in mind that I am not the quiet submissive type and tend to be very outspoken in verbal encounters.

If religious issues or your life philosophy is an important part of your life and if your partner has equally strong and opposing views then you must either suppress your views for the sake of a peaceful relationship, agree to argue fiercely and often and risk bitter arguements, or do the wise thing and break up the relationship. The latter is what I would do now with the wisdom of hindsight. But then I thoroughly enjoy my new personal freedom and am no longer prepared to compromise that for someone else.

Back