Have these nuclei escaped the squamous cells ?

Jennings

Registered Member
Attached is a microscopic photo of simple squamous epithelium . I am having trouble with a few aspects of this photograph and hope somebody will be able to help clarify
1. Why are the nuclei (dark dots) located in-between the cells and not within ?
2. It was said that the pink area between the cells is "cytoplasm" but cytoplasm is supposed to exist within cells not outside . How is the pink area cytoplasm and not extra cellular fluid ?
3. From this picture , under normal conditions it seems that the nuclei have made there way out of the squamous cells and into the extracellular fluid ?

What is going on here ? Is there something im not seeing ? Or is it the context of what is happening that is throwing me off here . What are some of your opinions about this ?

Attached is a microscopic photo of simple squamous epithelium . I am having trouble with a few aspects of this photograph and hope somebody will be able to help clarify
2. It was said that the pink area between the cells is "cytoplasm" but cytoplasm is supposed to exist within cells not outside . How is the pink area cytoplasm and not extra cellular fluid ?
3. From this picture , under normal conditions it seems that the nuclei have made there way out of the squamous cells and into the extracellular fluid ?

What is going on here ? Is there something im not seeing ? Or is it the context of what is happening that is throwing me off here . What are some of your opinions about this ?

Interesting. I'm not certain either, but I'll hazard some questions.

First, here's a link: http://std.about.com/od/glossary/g/squamousgloss.htm

How is it you were informed the dark-stained material are the nuclei? How were you informed the pink colored is "cytoplasm". What type of tissue/organism is the picture from?

What you think is extracellular is actually the cells...
The white parts are cavities, not the cells.

Back