Have Systematists Defined the Modern Evolutionary Synthesis?

Eugene Shubert

Valued Senior Member
What is your favorite list of precisely stated ideas that is, or is logically equivalent to, the "modern evolutionary synthesis"?

I love these precisely stated ideas that very succinctly sum up evolutionary developmental biology.......

One way of visualizing this is to use a mathematical analogy.

Functional biology = anatomy, physiology, cell biology, gene expression

Developmental biology = δ [functional biology]/δt

Evolutionary biology = δ/[developmental biology]/δt​

To go from functional biology to evolutionary biology without development is like going from displacement to acceleration without dealing with velocity.

Reference:
Resynthesizing evolutionary and developmental biology.
Gilbert SF, Opitz JM, Raff RA.
Dev Biol. 1996 Feb 1;173(2):357-72.

Nice ideas. Very satisfying. But I'd redefine functional biology to its sphere of environmental exposure, or more properly to the typical environmental range. Too many people consider quantitative genetics as a static, omnipresent process. And maybe the last formula should be:

Evolutionary biology = δ/[developmental biology]/δi, where i is the number of generations. Or the inverse of the interval.

isn't evolution the foundation for all biology? do we need a synthesis then? It's like saying you need a plan to explain the role of the concrete in a parking garage. concrete is the parking garage.

But it keeps doing things that we don't like, which gets us money. Eventually.

Death? They already know about that one. I need something I can exploit people with for money.

As long as the morbidity rate is lower than silicone (or at least concealable until the FDA looks the other way), that would be a winner.

Last edited:
And there are no side effects till the age of 40 when trophy wives don't need their frontal assets any more since they will have been traded in for a newer model.

Back