Have any atheists here suffered discrimination due to their lack of belief?

I had a coworker who was talking to me and another coworker. She was complaining about the jigaboos down town. I've never heard that word before, so I interrupted her and asked what a jigaboo was. The 2 coworkers looked uncomfortable and she said "black people"
I got up and left. I went to my boss (and friend) and said it was offensive. And she said "don't you think your religious beliefs are offensive to us?"

Lost a friend that day

I had a coworker who was talking to me and another coworker. She was complaining about the jigaboos down town. I've never heard that word before, so I interrupted her and asked what a jigaboo was. The 2 coworkers looked uncomfortable and she said "black people"
I got up and left. I went to my boss (and friend) and said it was offensive. And she said "don't you think your religious beliefs are offensive to us?"

Lost a friend that day

Wow thats... well i have no words for it.
You are right not to have her as your friend anymore.

I have never been discriminated against because of being an atheist. I think the Netherlands has more atheists then theists anyhow.. :scratchin: anyway its not a big issue around here.

I read somewhere that in the US creationism was taught in schools until quite recently. Given that Americans are more "fundamental" (for lack of a better word) in their belief, could that be the cause ?
As far as i know creationism has never been taught here, at least not in my live time.

Just for the record, im not saying ONLY Americans are more "fundamental" in their belief.
I just think Europeans are more relaxed regarding faith and religion.

That said, is it because of schools teaching creationism until recently, because of cultural differences or is it just not so and am i mistaken ?

No, I've never been really discriminated due to my atheism, but then again, I don't exactly advertise. But if someone asks me I won't hesitate to tell them and if they ask me why I'm an atheist, I won't hesitate to tell them why.

My dad is a Christian and he doesn't exactly like the fact that I'm an atheist, and every once in a while he sort of puts it in my face. It's irritating, but I just brush it off. And it doesn't happen that much. The people in my family are generally very tolerant of one another. My atheism hasn't created any real problems like it would in other families.

It seems in my area, people are generally accepting of different beliefs and lifestyles as long as it's not thrown into their face, which is a great policy in my opinion. I don't care if you're gay, as long as you don't throw it in my face and remind me that you're gay with every passing second. I don't care if you're a Christian/necropheliac/practitioner of beastiality as long as you don't put in my face. People should be courteous to the majority. I try to be mindful of that. I don't force my beliefs and try to proselytize others. But if the ask, I'll let them know, and 95% of the time there won't be any problems.

I'd say no because I'm not a dramatic pronouncer of my beliefs to everyone, maybe that's why I haven't really had much trouble with it. But I have come across in discussions where people make remarks like "Her boyfriend is questioning God, he's not sure he even believes in him anymore. I don't know what I'd do if I was that poor girl..." or "He's Muslim but at least he believes in something, ya know?" and just scoff them off as not worth the effort.

I had a coworker who was talking to me and another coworker. She was complaining about the jigaboos down town. I've never heard that word before, so I interrupted her and asked what a jigaboo was. The 2 coworkers looked uncomfortable and she said "black people" I got up and left. I went to my boss (and friend) and said it was offensive. And she said "don't you think your religious beliefs are offensive to us?"

Lost a friend that day
M*W: I spent my formative years in the deep South (SC). Segregation was the rule of the day. "Jigaboo" is a word White folks used to refer to Blacks in those days in the South. "Jigaboo" is a word that comes from 'an African who dances his native dance in the jungle.' It was widely used by Whites in the South. As children we were taught NOT to call a "colored person" a "jigaboo" to his face.

In the deep South in the early 50s, Black folks lived in little African-style villages similar to what was seen in the movie Ray (about Ray Charles life). They had to live in those tribal villages, because they weren't allowed to live in White neighborhoods, eat at White restaurants, or ride in the front of public transportation. There were signs posted at water fountains that said "White's Only." And, of course, they couldn't use White restrooms. When I was a child, they had their own schools and churches. When I was about 7, I saw white supremicists burn an all Black school and church. Little Black kids were running out of the school on fire. I'll never forget that. As a child, I saw them as human beings, even though my Southern upbringing would try to teach me otherwise. I lived in fear that the white supremicists would eventually come for the rest of us! Those Black folks knew their place, and they stayed in it. Civil rights might have helped them to a higher status in society, but it turned the table on the White folks.

Sorry, Oleander, that you had to experience that at work. I suspect your co-worker(s) were from somewhere in the South.

Not a one incident of discrimination based strictly on the fact that I'm not religious. Very strange all things considered actually.

The most I can say is that I see genuine shock on the typical theist face that I don't subscribe to any major religion. Or that one of my best friends in conversation was reduced to "oh shut up you athiest" at the end of this (paraphrased) conversation -

Friend: "Prayer really works!"
Me: "How so?"
F: "Well, I was so nervous outside my exam and I prayed, I prayed so hard. The exam was easy!"
Me: "So you didn't study?"
F: "Yes, of course I did"
Me: "So your studying had nothing to do with it"
F: "Of course it did, but - "
Me: "Your own intelligence was on vacation?"
F:"No!"
Me:"Maybe you should throw away those textbooks"
F:"Oh shut up you athiest"

I proceded to ask him if he realised that was no insult :)

But discrimination based directly on my lack of belief? No. Have I faced discrimination that has its roots deep in religion? Hell yes.

Yep. It's why I hated middle-school. Fucking fundamentalist pricks harassed me every damn day. I even got beaten after school once by some.
So, yeah.

In high school, though, no one gives a shit; half of the people in my school are agnostic, anyway. There's a lot of people belonging to liberal religions there, too, like wiccans, unitarian univeralists, lapsed catholics, and a few Roman neopagans.
Nor did anyone give a shit in elementary school.

Another reason why:
high school > elementary school > middle school.

No, not at all. What's wierd is we keep hearing stats about religious belief, etc. but few of my friends or co-walkers give a rat's ass about religion. Perhaps '80%' of Canadians believe is a god but darn if I know many of them. 90% of Canadians couldn't give the religion of the prime minister....I'm inclined to think we over emphasize adherece to religion in western societies. There are large vocal minorities who care a lot about Jesus, etc. but most folks who claim 'to care' don't give it any thought. and sure, 20,000 folks might go see the Pope when he visits town but 980,000 didn't....and 40,000 turned out for the Stanley Cup victory parade.

I hear about 'x' numbers of Catholics in the world. How are they achieved? Basically adding up the populations of 'traditional' Catholic countries. I can't speak for other contries but in Canada that means French, Polish, Irish, Italian, etc. Canadians. Huh? French Canadians are the most atheistic of Canadians and a miniscule attend Catholic services....but they are all added into 'x' hundreds of millions of world Catholics....the 'Pope's flock' . Probably not one in 25 of French Canadian 'Catholics' between 18 and 30 years of age has been inside a church for 10 years except to attend a wedding, funeral, etc.

I tend to give some credence to Oreo's observation. I think a considerable number of people in the world merely pay lip service to their religion, like placing themselves in the "RC" or "Islam" section in a consensus. A lot of these people probably do not follow the tenets of their own religion strictly, and I even venture to say a few of them are secretly atheist/agnostic.

It's just evolution...

Not a one incident of discrimination based strictly on the fact that I'm not religious. Very strange all things considered actually.

The most I can say is that I see genuine shock on the typical theist face that I don't subscribe to any major religion. Or that one of my best friends in conversation was reduced to "oh shut up you athiest" at the end of this (paraphrased) conversation -

Friend: "Prayer really works!"
Me: "How so?"
F: "Well, I was so nervous outside my exam and I prayed, I prayed so hard. The exam was easy!"
Me: "So you didn't study?"
F: "Yes, of course I did"
Me: "So your studying had nothing to do with it"
F: "Of course it did, but - "
Me: "Your own intelligence was on vacation?"
F:"No!"
Me:"Maybe you should throw away those textbooks"
F:"Oh shut up you athiest"

I proceded to ask him if he realised that was no insult :)

But discrimination based directly on my lack of belief? No. Have I faced discrimination that has its roots deep in religion? Hell yes.

Wow. Theists are reduced to simple 3rd grade style name calling when you actually bring out logic and reason to an argument. I love it!

I thought this would fit well with your post, Enterprise.
http://www.godisimaginary.com/i1.htm

Yes...I read the whole site already, it does :) There was a milk jug illustration that some guy did on youtube as well...basically showing that 'answered prayers' are a product of chance and self-fulfilling 'prophecy'.

Just for the record, the friend in the example is still a friend...i just couldn't resist showing him that he'd given his own efforts no credit.

Back