Hair Loss and Genetics

Frisbinator

Registered Senior Member
My grandfather on my Mom's side still has a full head of hair and he is about 82 I believe. Nobody in my family suffers from hair loss that I know of, I say "that I know of" because I don't really know my Dads family, both of his parents died 30 years ago.

My question is, is it still possible for me to suffer from hair loss and eventually go bald? What are the chances of somebody that leads a healthy and active lifestyle and has no hair loss on his mother's side or his father's side (that he knows of, there is a possibility that there is, however.) to become bald? Is it even possible? Are the chances miniscule?

Any educated input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

<B><U>Male pattern baldness -- some background.</U></B>

5-alpha reductase is an enzyme that was first discovered in the male prostate. It catalyzes the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, which in turn binds to the androgen receptor and initiates development of the external genitalia and prostate. The gene for 5-alpha reductase has been mapped to chromosome 5.

More recently, 5-alpha reductase was found in human scalp and elsewhere in the skin, where it carries out the same reaction as in the prostate. It is thought that disturbances in 5-alpha reductase activity in skin cells might contribute to male pattern baldness, acne, or hirsutism. The discovery of a plant homolog of human 5-alpha reductase may lead to new drugs, and the race is now on to find inhibitors of 5-alpha reductase.

-------------------------------------------

Now, you will notice that the gene is on chromosome 5. Thus, contrary to what 99% of people commonly believe, male pattern baldness it is an autosomal trait and is not a sex-linked trait. It’s easy to see why people are confused, however, because the condition predominantly affect males and <b><i>appears</I></B> to be passed through generations like a sex-linked trait. This is because expression of 5-alpha reductase is a <B><I>sex-limited trait</I></B>. In other words, alleles of this gene are expressed differently in males compared to females. So although the alleles are passed randomly to male and female offspring, the baldness trait generally only appears in the male offspring.

In answer to your question, it is still possible for you to suffer from male pattern baldness despite there being no obvious instances in your immediate family. There are many epigenetic factors that contribute to the condition. But I cannot attach a probability to that statement. You’ll have to wait and see! :D

Back