growing meat

smoking revolver
Valued Senior Member
Read this article at the BBC.
An international research team has proposed new techniques that may lead to the mass production of meat reared not on the farm, but in the laboratory.

Developments in tissue engineering mean that cells taken from animals could be grown directly into meat in a laboratory, the researchers say.

This possibility has been described in science fiction for some time, but it's good to see it finally materialising in the non-fictional world of today.

1. People will get the chance to get meat products in regions where it is hard to get it.
2. It's a lot more humane way of getting meat than slaughtering animals.

Let's just hope that mass producing this meat won't be expensive.
If it's cheap then we're one step closer on solving the hunger and malnutration problem that a lot of the world's population has.

Sounds good to me. But won't the consistency of muscle fiber require exercise? If so, it could be a little creepy or even dangerous stepping into a steakfield someday. Here's hoping we just get merrily passed around the field, like along the surface of a happy crowd after a successful stagedive. As I pilot, I might have to land in one of those fields someday, so I don't relish the thought of a writhing, muscular sea of plants beneath my sputtering plane.

But maybe all that muscle power could be put to work tilling alternate rows, or assembling something friendly. But hold the brains: No angry Ents, please.

I've thought of this too. Sounds feasible, and it would be perfectly humane to animals.

Yeah. Perhaps grow motor neurons to respond to simulated exercise and somehow leave out the sensory neurons.

I think that people wouldn't start buying laboratory meat until real meat got to expensive. At which point, who cares about consistancy? After 100 years of eating mush meat, tough meat would seem absolutely weird.

It's interesting actually. I don't eat meat myself,
but the reasons are both philosophical and physiological,
so I don't think I'll consider that lab-grown meat even if the philosophical aspect of the problem is solved.

It's interesting actually. I don't eat meat myself,
but the reasons are both philosophical and physiological,
so I don't think I'll consider that lab-grown meat even if the philosophical aspect of the problem is solved.
I have many friends who dont eat meat not becuse they dont like it, but because they dont want some animals suffer (who they dont even know personally).

Anomalous said:
I have many friends who dont eat meat not becuse they dont like it, but because they dont want some animals suffer (who they dont even know personally).

thats me. but it wolud still seem ethically wrong to me even if the meat was never a part of an animal. its like soymeats, i dont eat meat, and i dont want to enjoy what it tastes like because not only have i grown to be repulsed by the smell of it, but it is like saying that i still want to.

I see no problems with it.
I'd prefer a more elegant solution though. One dreamed up by Douglas Adams which I'm sure many of you are aware. A cow that desires nothing more than to become steak. And would even talk you into eating it if you were a touch squeamish on the subject...

Anyway. As to the muscle consistency. Veal is the most expensive form of cow on the planet. And it's so because it's those tender baby cows that have never had any exercise in their short miserable lives. With this technology, we can have veal for every meal.

But, for those who like a more chewy meat (and some recipes would surely call for different grades of texture) then I see no problem with stimulating some form of exercise routine. Wouldn't that be be freaky though. Going into the lab when all the limbs are flailing about and exercising...

You don't eat meat so what makes you think you are sure you can speak for those that do? Anyway there is nothing elegant about it and it might as well be called a vegetable. Thats just God aweful. It reminds me of the screen play Alien 4 when Weaver broke into the lab filled with human experiments. AGGHHHH!

meat is disgusting enough not to mention being grown in labs. My apologies if I offend you

Chatha said:
meat is disgusting enough not to mention being grown in labs. My apologies if I offend you

disgusting, why ?

Human evolution owes its developmnt to meat, are you ashamed by that, or wana deny that fact ? Most intelligence people are non vegetarean ? Thats how we have evolved, now here is our chance to manipulate that fact, get the same nutritions without any pain to anyone.

Back