Great people (Scientists) who believe'd in god

Alan McDougall

Alan McDougall
Registered Senior Member
http://www.adherents.com/people/100_Nobel.html

50 Nobel Laureates and Other Great Scientists Who Believe in God
religious practice.

50 Nobel Laureates includes chapters on the following individuals:
PART I. Nobel Scientists (20-21 Century)

Albert Einstein Nobel Laureate in Physics Jewish

Max Planck Nobel Laureate in Physics Protestant

Erwin Schrodinger Nobel Laureate in Physics Catholic
Werner Heisenberg Nobel Laureate in Physics Lutheran

Robert Millikan Nobel Laureate in Physics probably Congregationalist

Charles Hard Townes Nobel Laureate in Physics United Church of Christ (raised Baptist)

Arthur Schawlow Nobel Laureate in Physics Methodist

William D. Phillips Nobel Laureate in Physics Methodist

William H. Bragg Nobel Laureate in Physics Anglican

Guglielmo Marconi Nobel Laureate in Physics Catholic and Anglican

Arthur Compton Nobel Laureate in Physics Presbyterian

Arno Penzias Nobel Laureate in Physics Jewish
Nevill Mott Nobel Laureate in Physics Anglican

Isidor Isaac Rabi Nobel Laureate in Physics Jewish
Abdus Salam Nobel Laureate in Physics Muslim
Antony Hewish Nobel Laureate in Physics Christian (denomination?)

Joseph H. Taylor, Jr. Nobel Laureate in Physics Quaker
Alexis Carrel Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology Catholic

John Eccles Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology Catholic

Joseph Murray Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology Catholic

Ernst Chain Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology Jewish
George Wald Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology Jewish
Ronald Ross Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology Christian (denomination?)

Derek Barton Nobel Laureate in Chemistry Christian (denomination?)

Christian Anfinsen Nobel Laureate in Chemistry Jewish
Walter Kohn Nobel Laureate in Chemistry Jewish
Richard Smalley Nobel Laureate in Chemistry Christian (denomination?)

PART II. Nobel Writers (20-21 Century)
T.S. Eliot Nobel Laureate in Literature Anglo-Catholic (Anglican)

Rudyard Kipling Nobel Laureate in Literature Anglican
Alexander Solzhenitsyn Nobel Laureate in Literature Russian Orthodox
François Mauriac Nobel Laureate in Literature Catholic
Hermann Hesse Nobel Laureate in Literature Christian; Buddhist?

Winston Churchill Nobel Laureate in Literature Anglican
Jean-Paul Sartre Nobel Laureate in Literature Lutheran; Freudian; Marxist; atheist; Messianic Jew

Sigrid Undset Nobel Laureate in Literature Catholic (previously Lutheran)
Rabindranath Tagore Nobel Laureate in Literature Hindu
Rudolf Eucken Nobel Laureate in Literature Christian (denomination?)
Isaac Singer Nobel Laureate in Literature Jewish
PART III. Nobel Peace Laureates (20-21 Century)
Albert Schweitzer Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Lutheran
Jimmy Carter Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Baptist (former Southern Baptist)

Theodore Roosevelt Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Dutch Reformed; Episcopalian

Woodrow Wilson Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Presbyterian

Frederik de Klerk Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Dutch Reformed

Nelson Mandela Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Christian (denomination?)

Kim Dae-Jung Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Catholic
Dag Hammarskjold Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Christian (denomination?)
Martin Luther King, Jr. Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Baptist
Adolfo Perez Esquivel Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Catholic
Desmond Tutu Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Anglican
John R. Mott Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Methodist
Part IV. Founders of Modern Science (16-21 Century)

Isaac Newton Founder of Classical Physics and Infinitesimal Calculus Anglican (rejected Trinitarianism, i.e., Athanasianism;
believed in the Arianism of the Primitive Church)

Galileo Galilei Founder of Experimental Physics Catholic

Nicolaus Copernicus Founder of Heliocentric Cosmology Catholic (priest)

Johannes Kepler Founder of Physical Astronomy and Modern Optics Lutheran

Francis Bacon Founder of the Scientific Inductive Method Anglican

René Descartes Founder of Analytical Geometry and Modern Philosophy Catholic

Blaise Pascal Founder of Hydrostatics, Hydrodynamics,
and the Theory of Probabilities Jansenist

Michael Faraday Founder of Electronics and Electro-Magnetics Sandemanian

James Clerk Maxwell Founder of Statistical Thermodynamics Presbyterian; Anglican; Baptist

Lord Kelvin Founder of Thermodynamics and Energetics Anglican

Robert Boyle Founder of Modern Chemistry Anglican

William Harvey Founder of Modern Medicine Anglican (nominal)

John Ray Founder of Modern Biology and Natural History Calvinist (denomination?)

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Mathematician and Philosopher,
Founder of Infinitesimal Calculus Lutheran

Ernst Haeckel German Biologist,

the Most Influential Evolutionist in Continental Europe

Thomas H. Huxley English Biologist and Evolutionist,

Famous As "Darwin's Bulldog"
Joseph J. Thomson Nobel Laureate in Physics, Discoverer of the Electron,
Founder of Atomic Physics Anglican

Louis Pasteur Founder of Microbiology and Immunology Catholic
Part V. Great Philosophers (17-21 Century)

Immanuel Kant One of the Greatest Philosophers
in the History of Western Philosophy Lutheran

Jean-Jacques Rousseau Founder of Modern Deism born Protestant;
converted as a teen to Catholic

Voltaire French Philosopher and Historian,
One of the Most Influential Thinkers of the Enlightenment raised in Jansenism

David Hume Scottish Empiricist Philosopher, Historian, and Economist,
Founder of Modern Skepticism Church of Scotland (Presbyterian)

Spinoza Dutch-Jewish Philosopher,

the Chief Exponent of Modern Rationalism Judaism; later pantheism/deism

Giordano Bruno Italian Philosopher, Astronomer, and Mathematician,
Founder of the Theory of the Infinite Universe Catholic

George Berkeley Irish Philosopher and Mathematician, Founder of Modern Idealism,
Famous as "The Precursor of Mach and Einstein" Anglican

John Stuart Mill English Philosopher and Economist,
the Major Exponent of Utilitarianism agnostic; Utilitarian

Richard Swinburne Oxford Professor of Philosophy,
One of the Most Influential Theistic Philosophers
PART VI. Other Religious Nobelists

60 more Nobel Prize winners are listed
(32 scientists, 17 writers, 11 Nobel Nobel Peace Laureates)
PART VII. Nobelists, Philosophers, and Scientists on Jesus

Quotes by 16 individuals about their beliefs about Jesus
- Alexis Carrel
- Albert Einstein
- Arthur Compton
- Robert Millikan
- Francois Mauriac
- Sigrid Undset
- T.S. Eliot
- Mother Theresa
- Albert Schweitzer
- Theodore Roosevelt
- Frederik de Klerk
- John R. Mott
- Kim Dae-Jung
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Jimmy Carter
- Blaise Pascal

Webpage created 18 April 2007. Last modified 9 June 2007.
We are always striving to increase the accuracy and usefulness of our website. We are happy to hear from you. Please submit questions, suggestions, comments, corrections, etc. to: webmaster@adherents.com.
>

Einstein:
I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

Not a good start.
And the point of posting this list would be...?

The reason is because there is no scientific alternative to a Creator - it is a most scientific premise.

Shocked the list does not include Isaac Newton. :confused:

Einstein:
I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

Not a good start.
And the point of posting this list would be...?

Not so. Einstein accepted a Creator premise and of Monotheism, albiet in his own clinical scientific way and without being religious - but the later was again altered in his last years.

Not so. Einstein accepted a Creator premise and of Monotheism, albiet in his own clinical scientific way and without being religious - but the later was again altered in his last years.
Link please.
Especially bearing in mind that that quote is from one year before he died.
Not much time left after that for his "last years".

There are plenty of religious scientists, but that doesn't mean that religion is scientific in nature, nor does it mean that the scientists' faith was, in any way, predicated on their scientific understanding of the world.

There are plenty of religious scientists, but that doesn't mean that religion is scientific in nature, nor does it mean that the scientists' faith was, in any way, predicated on their scientific understanding of the world.

The term religion is new. Christianity and Islam are not original belief systems. Monotheism and good laws are scientific, emperical premises. I've yet to see a Hebrew law or stat which is NOT scientific. Usually, all can be proposed is some FX miracles - but nothing outside these.

Monotheism and good laws are scientific, emperical premises.
False. As are many of of your posts.

I've yet to see a Hebrew law or stat which is NOT scientific.
That's because you apparently have little understanding of what actually constitutes science, or reality.

The reason is because there is no scientific alternative to a Creator - it is a most scientific premise.

Shocked the list does not include Isaac Newton. :confused:

You are right about Isaac Newton, in fact he spent more time trying to find a code in the bible than he did on pure scientific thought

Link please.
Especially bearing in mind that that quote is from one year before he died.
Not much time left after that for his "last years".

If you ask for proof, does it mean you researched at found none?

http://www.einsteinandreligion.com/godcomments.html
Einstein used to speak so often of God that I tend to believe that he has been a disguised theologian.

—Friedrich Dürrenmatt
in Albert Einstein (Diogenes Verlag, Zürich, 1979), p. 12, quoted in Jammer, p. 7

Short Comments on God
For more of Einstein's comments on God, see the Spinoza page on this site.

Knowing God's Thoughts
I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.

— From E. Salaman, "A Talk With Einstein," The Listener 54 (1955), pp. 370-371, quoted in Jammer, p. 123.
Could God Have Done It Differently?
What I am really interested in, is knowing whether God could have created the world in a different way; in other words, whether the requirement of logical simplicity admits a margin of freedom.

— C. Seelig, Helle Zeit—Dunkle Zeit (Europa Verlag, Zuürich, 1956), p.72, quoted in Jammer, p. 124.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following comments are excerpted from Calaprice. See pp. 145 - 161.

God's Punishment
Why do you write to me “God should punish the English”? I have no close connection to either one or the other. I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible; in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him.

— Letter to Edgar Meyer colleague January 2, 1915 Contributed by Robert Schulmann; also see CPAE Vol. 8 (forthcoming).
God and Goodness
Whatever there is of God and goodness in the universe, it must work itself out and express itself through us. We cannot stand aside and let God do it.

— From conversation recorded by Algernon Black, Fall 1940; Einstein Archive 54-834
God's worry
If God has created the world, his primary worry was certainly not to make its understanding easy for us.

— Letter to David Bohm, February 10, 1954; Einstein Archive 8-041
An Unperceivable Being
To assume the existence of an unperceivable being ... does not facilitate understanding the orderliness we find in the perceivable world.

— Letter to an Iowa student who asked, What is God? July, 1953; Einstein Archive 59-085
Awe of the Structure of the World
I don't try to imagine a God; it suffices to stand in awe of the structure of the world, insofar as it allows our inadequate senses to appreciate it.

— Letter to S. Flesch, April 16, 1954; Einstein Archive 30-1154

# From his later years [1968]:

The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer.

— Albert Einstein
in Goldman, p. vii

Atheism

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atheists Irk Einstein
In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human understanding, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.

— Prince Hubertus zu Löwenstein, Towards the Further Shore (Victor Gollancz, London, 1968), p. 156; quoted in Jammer, p. 97
I was barked at by numerous dogs who are earning their food guarding ignorance and superstition for the benefit of those who profit from it. Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics and comes from the same source. They are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional "opium of the people"—cannot bear the music of the spheres. The Wonder of nature does not become smaller because one cannot measure it by the standards of human moral and human aims.

— Einstein to an unidentified adressee, Aug.7, 1941. Einstein Archive, reel 54-927, quoted in Jammer, p. 97
Atheists Miss the Wonder of the World

You find it strange that I consider the comprehensibility of the world (to the extent that we are authorized to speak of such a comprehensibility) as a miracle or an eternal mystery. Well a priori one should expect a chaotic world which cannot be grasped by the mind in anyway. One could (yes one should) expect the world to be subjected to law only to the extent that we order it through our intelligence. Ordering of this kind would be like the alphabetical ordering of the words of a language. By contrast, the kind of order created by Newton's theory of gravitation, for instance, is wholly different. Even if the axioms of the theory are proposed by man, the success of such a project presupposes a high degree of ordering of the objective world, and this could not be expected a priori. That is the "miracle" which is being constantly re-enforced as our knowledge expands.

There lies the weaknesss of positivists and professional atheists who are elated because they feel that they have not only successfully rid the world of gods but "bared the miracles." (That is, explained the miracles. - ed.) Oddly enough, we must be satisfied to acknowledge the "miracle" without there being any legitimate way for us to approach it . I am forced to add that just to keep you from thinking that --weakened by age--I have fallen prey to the clergy …

— From a letter to Maurice Solovine; see Goldman, p. 24
Einstein Not a "Freethinker"
The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive. However, I am also not a "Freethinker" in the usual sense of the word because I find that this is in the main an attitude nourished exclusively by an opposition against naive superstition. My feeling is insofar religious as I am imbued with the consciousness of the insuffiency of the human mind to understand deeply the harmony of the Universe which we try to formulate as "laws of nature." It is this consciousness and humility I miss in the Freethinker mentality. Sincerely yours, Albert Einstein.

—Letter to A. Chapple, Australia, February 23, 1954; Einstein Archive 59-405; also quoted in Nathan and Norden, Einstein on Peace P. 510
You might also want to look at this reference where Einstein explicitly denies being an atheist.

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

If you ask for proof, does it mean you researched at found none?
Nope, it means I'm asking YOU to substantiate your statement.
And I see that not only do you include the quote that I gave, but also that none of them do actually substantiate your view, while others directly contradict you.
How strange.
Another lie you've been caught in.

False. As are many of of your posts.

That's because you apparently have little understanding of what actually constitutes science, or reality.

THE FIRST SCIENTIFIC EQUATION:

The appropriate opening verse which says there was a BEGINNING of the Galaxies and the Earth [the universe]. Feel free to put up a pre-dating similar equation of a finite universe. Now if you agree or not the universe is finite does not impact: it remains a scientific premise.

If you study the text, you will also find that Evolution comes from Genesis [the first record of life form groupings and their mode of procession]. Also the first seperation of Medicine [a scientific faculty] from the occult as well in the same book [the ID and treatment of malignancies and the effects of contagious and infectcious deseases].

THE FIRST SCIENTIFIC EQUATION
Trolling again.
A statement does NOT constitute a scientific equation. You have been told this.

If you study the text, you will also find that Evolution comes from Genesis
It has also been pointed out to you previously that evolution is not in genesis.

Reported.

Nope, it means I'm asking YOU to substantiate your statement.
And I see that not only do you include the quote that I gave, but also that none of them do actually substantiate your view, while others directly contradict you.
How strange.
Another lie you've been caught in.

Not believing in a personal Creator does not negate the belief in a Creator. Read again what he says on atheists - those who hold there is no creator. Note also at all times Einstein believes in Monotheism - one Creator.

Not believing in a personal Creator does not negate the belief in a Creator. Read again what he says on atheists - those who hold there is no creator. Note also at all times Einstein believes in Monotheism - one Creator.
Also false. If anything Einstein was a pantheist. The universe itself was "god" as far as he was concerned.
Read what he says about atheists?
Yet YOU fail to see what is also said about theists in the same sentence.
The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer.
I.e. believers are FUNNIER than non-believers.:rolleyes:

Trolling again.
A statement does NOT constitute a scientific equation. You have been told this.

Depends what the statement is saying. The applicable factor is whether it is fully aligned with what you call an equation. The said verse is fully vindicated by the prevailing scientific equation - and more, being dispensed in a mode understandable by all generations of man - itself a feat. The terms science and equation are new.

It has also been pointed out to you previously that evolution is not in genesis.

Reported.

Pointed out? All factors of evolution comes from Genesis, with no addition by Darwin. This includes:

LIFE FORM GROUPS. [First recorded in Genesis].

REPRODUCTION: THAT THE OFFSPRING FOLLOWS THE PROGRAM INHERITED BY THE HOST SEED - AND ABLE TO PASS ON THE SAME PROGRAM. [Try showing this with the absence of the host or its seed!]

SPECIATION: THAT A SPECIES [KIND] FOLLOWS ITS OWN KIND. [Of note this does not contest Darwin's premise all life originated from one source, but only says that once a species emerges, it will then follow its own kind. Here, genesis does not say an animal could not have originally come from a water based life - only that a Zebra will follow on to be a Zebra].

Please point out again what ToE says which contradicts the precedent Genesis, or adds anything to it? Or where do you think got his notions from - its not recorded anywhere else outside Genesis?

Reported.
More trolling.
And a repeated lie.

Last edited:
Also false. If anything Einstein was a pantheist. The universe itself was "god" as far as he was concerned.
Read what he says about atheists?
Yet YOU fail to see what is also said about theists in the same sentence.
I.e. believers are FUNNIER than non-believers.:rolleyes:

Are you reading?

Knowing God's Thoughts
I want to know how God created this world. I'm not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.

Reported.
More trolling.

Yes, go and complain - it shows you lost. You have no other responsa? You must either negate a post with counters - which you have never done - or accept:

CHECK MATE. :D

Sorry that your favorite word EQUATION is not seen in Genesis - that maybe because it is an authentic, ancient document before that word was coined. But there is no confusion, accept when one is confused by deceptively simple sounding texts - or worse.

Back