Gravity - effects on the body

Terame

Registered Member
Hi people,
second post, so hopefully this is in the correct place :)

I am looking for theoretical ways to reduce the effects of G-Forces on the body.

Does anyone know the main causes of damage to the body during extreme G-loads? I couldn't find much on the net, so I'm looking for some help.

It's for a fiction piece, but I like to suspend disbelief with a little fact buried within ;)

The human body can withstand up to 9G's, I believe, although I don't know what the consequence of exceeding those nine would be -- perhaps it is loss of consciousness, perhaps death. Loss of consciousness is a definite consequence of high G-force, however, and is preceded by tunnel vision. I believe this has something to do with blood flow.

Try searching for information on pilots -- they often experience high G-forces and have a few techniques to prevent the effects of such.

Increasing Gs make it harder for the heart to deliver blood, against the force due to acceleration, to the brain. This is more of a problem when one is oriented in a seated or standing position so that the heart has to pump against the "G" forces. Lying prone can help.

Combat pilots use flight suits that squeeze their legs in order to help the blood continue to cirulate instead of pooling in their extemities. The tunnel vision is the first symptom of low blood flow to the brain.

Terame said:
I am looking for theoretical ways to reduce the effects of G-Forces on the body.
I have seen in various sci-fi movies (eg. Event Horizon) a supposed technique for protecting the human body against high G-forces – put the person(s) in water. In other words, submerge each person in a cubicle of water with a mouth piece for breathing. I am not sure of the physics behind this idea.<P>

Hercules Rockefeller said:
I have seen in various sci-fi movies (eg. Event Horizon) a supposed technique for protecting the human body against high G-forces – put the person(s) in water. In other words, submerge each person in a cubicle of water with a mouth piece for breathing. I am not sure of the physics behind this idea.<P>
Submersion in water would assure that the pressure forces on your body were well distributed, but to stay stationary with respect to your accelerating rocketship, your body must have the same acceleration applied to it.

Gravity has a profound affect on the height of every living creature on earth. At zero gravity humans would be immensely taller - probably unbelievable so. We wouldn't exist. That fact that our gravition force on earth is 9.8 at sea level - correct me if I am wrong - determines the height and proportion of all life on earth: humans, all animals, trees, and plants.

Back