Grapefruit seed extract

smoking revolver
Valued Senior Member
I've been recently using a grapefruit seed extract called Citrosept after advised by work collegues to strenghten my immune system (I was getting a bit sick).

I had previously used some vitamins, etc., but nothing quite compared to the effect of this extract - I got back on track in no time and having used it for some time I have a much healthier feeling in this chilly and wet weather.

I don't have much information on it and its chemical properties, and maybe it's to do with placebo, but I couldn't care less because it works, and even better than I expected.

Have you used grapefruit seed extract, did it work for you?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grapefruit seed extract (GSE), also known as citrus seed extract, is a liquid derived from the seeds, pulp, and white membranes of grapefruit. While there

has been no scientific demonstration of efficacy, this extract has been claimed by some practitioners of alternative medicine to possess antibacterial,

antiviral, and anti-fungal properties. Indeed, it has been recommended by some nutritionists for the treatment of candidiasis, earache, throat infections,

and diarrhea. Some natural food retailers claim this extract to be a safe, natural, and an effective preservative. Recent studies have identified synthetic

preservatives in commercial grapefruit seed extracts. When preservatives were not present in some of the extracts, laboratory tests found the natural

extracts to have little or no natural antimicrobial attributes of their own. An early proponent was Dr. Jacob Harich (1919–1996). Some of the manufacturers

of GSE have claimed that their extract has compounds nearly identical to benzethonium chloride but the 2001 study overiewed by chemist G. Takeoka and

ran by fellow researchers have documented that commercial GSE preparations contain the synthetic compound benzethonium chloride that couldn't have

been made from GSE. Yet, promoters from book authors to cosmetic companies still affirm that citrus seed extract has strong natural healing properties

despite lack of scientific or clinical evidence.

On a side note, cosmictraveler, I find that spacing of yours makes it harder to read.

All I have to add to this is you must take care, it's been well documented that certain elements of Grapefruit increase the effects of prescription medicines. Infact they aren't totally sure how it effects ppl but it's clear it makes doses unstable and is somewhat dangerous.

I've been recently using a grapefruit seed extract called Citrosept after advised by work collegues to strenghten my immune system (I was getting a bit sick).

I had previously used some vitamins, etc., but nothing quite compared to the effect of this extract - I got back on track in no time and having used it for some time I have a much healthier feeling in this chilly and wet weather.

I don't have much information on it and its chemical properties, and maybe it's to do with placebo, but I couldn't care less because it works, and even better than I expected.

Have you used grapefruit seed extract, did it work for you?
I used it for some time
I don't know what form you took it in but I used to add a few drops to a glass of water - tastes very disgusting (once I even placed the drops directly on my tongue - big mistake)

anyway I stopped using it regularly because the excessive bitterness was affecting my digestion

I stopped using it when I switched on to neem leaves which are cheaper (just pick them off a tree) and nicer to eat (although still a bit of an acquired taste - used in the right proportion they make potato dishes quite tasty)

I have drops and I like the taste. 15-20 drops to a glass of water.
You can minimize the taste if add them to orange juice.
No neem growing in Latvia.

Energy drinks generally are unhealthy.

Avatar...I got a question for you...this seed extract does it affect the urinary tract? I am asking because I often take vitamins and sorts and it all gets out of my system, yellow in color. But does this extract not have the same effect?

As much as it may astonish you I don't pay attention to such details.
What's the difference any way? Everything affects something.

As much as it may astonish you I don't pay attention to such details.
What's the difference any way? Everything affects something.

yeah but it affects my sleep...gotta run to toilet every once in a while to pee, because I take vitamins that day.

On a side note, cosmictraveler, I find that spacing of yours makes it harder to read.

To me, it is allot easier to read. I'm sorry it affects you adversly and hope

that you might be able to adjust to it sometime soon. :)

It's an extract from grapefruit seeds - a lot more concentration.
I'd probably need to eat a few kilograms of grapefruit including their seeds in order to get the same dose.

"Grapefruit seed extract (GSE), also known as citrus seed extract, is a liquid derived from the seeds, pulp, and white membranes of grapefruit."

How is it a lot more concentrated than the real thing?

Because you'd need to eat larger quanitity of stuff, and that includes digesting the seeds to get the same amount of extract.

anyway I stopped using it regularly because the excessive bitterness was affecting my digestion

You actually can find GSE in a tablet or capsule. I know that NutriBiotic makes it this way. I found it in this form at seacoastvitamins.com, where I get my supplements. So that makes it easier to many to take, as the bitterness is no longer an issue. As far as the supplement in general, I think it's pretty good. It's antimicrobial properties are very helpful for many things.

I've been recently using a grapefruit seed extract called Citrosept after advised by work collegues to strenghten my immune system (I was getting a bit sick). . . . Have you used grapefruit seed extract, did it work for you?
No, but I usually take the things my wife recommends even when I find them discredited by science, so long as they cause no harm. Glucosamine/chondroitin appeared to greatly improve our old dog's health and mobility so we take it even though there's no possible way the substance could survive digestion.
While there has been no scientific demonstration of efficacy. . . .
Let's hear it for the placebo effect. Sometimes I think that in aggregate it might be responsible for more healing than all other medications. And it has far fewer side effects. :)
Yes, it's awful. It's not true double spacing, because every line spills over a few words onto the next line. If you want to do something like this, Avatar, use the website engine's spacing commands. Don't just put in a double carriage-return, because it doesn't coordinate with every member's line length.
Why not just eat a grapefruit?? I peel them and eat them all the time.
Are you ready for today's big "Duh"? You don't eat the SEEDS. :)

Back