God is a Magnet?

CounslerCoffee

Registered Senior Member
Is religious experience merely an electronic impulse? "God, Ghosts, and Magnets" asks this question. Some of the world's top neuroscientists have found a link between a specific part of the brain and moments of religious experience. If their theory about the brain is correct, faith and religious experience may simply be an electromagnetic field in the brain.

This new science, neurotheology, began when scientists explored a condition called "temporal lobe epilepsy." Epileptics often report profound religious experiences. Scientists began to wonder: Could there be a connection between the temporal lobes of the brain and divine revelation?
Article - TechTV

Well, so much for the idea of God. My refrigerator magnets are what give me faith! Who’s to say that God didn't put that electromagnetic field there?

And evil satanic impulses are caused by cheese!

-- The Grand Dragon Gizzard

Last edited:
That doesn't explain religious beliefs that don't depend on such "religious" experiences (I guess they see it as a form of emotional reaction). Faith doesn't come about after a religious experience - it's a conscious decision that can be based on any experience. The religious experience - and I mean that as a lifetime of meaning - only comes afterwards.

Having said that, it should be interesting to trace a possible correspondence between so-called ley-lines and spiritual activity. Maybe the world is hardwired to God after all, eh? ;) Certain paths lead to an awareness of God, others lead away from it...

Back