Go Go Godzilla!!

Someone enlighten me here, but why is a 4 meter long sea crocodile nicknamed "Godzilla".
I hardly find 4 metres to be horribly huge.

"Scientists have nicknamed the creature Godzilla, because it looks a bit like a dinosaur and has jagged teeth. " BBC News

Well yes, I saw that. >_>
Still, I find that Godzilla implies size, not teeth.
I personally wouldn't be that afraid of this one, compared to some of the real big beasts out there.

Oh, it was generally the smaller ones that were by far the most dangerous - Velociraptor for example, unlike in the movies, was actually only a couple of feet high but could run like the wind and jump feet first... Nasty, feathery little bastards. Been the ruination of many a time Travelers otherwise perfectly idyllic picnic.

Speed, diminutive size, cooperative behaviour - these are the real killer in nature. Just look at our contribution to the natural world, and we never really had much in the way of teeth or claws or muscle to begin with....

makes you wonder what kinds of creatures never showed up on fossil records. there could be huge beasts of the deep that never ventured close enough to shore to die in an area that would be pushed above the sea.

Oh, undoubtedly. Fossilisation in itself is such a rare process to begin with and then there's finding the things - any "knowledge" we possess of these ancient times spotty at best, doubtfully ever definitive - just look at the way T-rex has changed over the course of less than a century - from dim witted plodder with ridiculous stubby arms to fast moving monster "bird" with ridiculously stubby arms most of which within ones own lifetime.

There's just no consistency I tell you - Buggers are evolving faster now they're rock than they ever did when they were alive! :mad:

Back