Glow-in-the-dark mushrooms

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
With the arrival of Japan’s rainy season (which typically lasts from the end of May to July), a glow-in-the-dark mushroom begins to sprout in the Wakayama prefecture. The Mycena lux-coeli mushrooms, known locally as shii no tomobishi-dake (literally, “chinquapin glow mushrooms”), sprout from fallen chinquapin trees. As they grow, a chemical reaction involving luciferin (a light-emitting pigment contained within the mushrooms) occurs, causing them to glow a ghostly green.
The caps can grow to as large as 2 cm (about 1 inch) in diameter, but because the mushrooms are prone to dehydration, they only have a few days to live once the rain stops.

mycena-lux-coeli.jpg

Mycena lux-coeli mushrooms are caused from the literal meaning of "toadstool" -- the mixture between toad feces and fireflies resting on them cause a chemical imbalance to make them glow.

Or maybe not. ;)

Cool mushrooms though. Are they edible or have any special psychedelic properties?

- N

Indeed - they're also terribly useful for recharging the batteries on all electrical items and helping deflect lightning strikes issued by General Volgin during the Shagohod Hanger Battle in Grozny Grad.

Of course, it may be entirely possible I'm confusing life with Metal Gear Solid 3, but I like to doubt it...

Neildo:

Just came across the page while Stumbling, haven't been able to find any more info on the mushrooms though I looked.

Mr Anonymous:

Might be useful in caves when the battery runs out (if you are one of those who go caving). :)

In the Bornean rainforest at night, it's pitch dark on the ground as no moonlight or starlight makes it through the canopy. If you turn of your headlamp and close your eyes for a while, upon opening them, the whole ground glows in what looks like pools of moonlight. It's all bioluminescent fungus, though.

In the Bornean rainforest at night, it's pitch dark on the ground as no moonlight or starlight makes it through the canopy. If you turn of your headlamp and close your eyes for a while, upon opening them, the whole ground glows in what looks like pools of moonlight. It's all bioluminescent fungus, though.

In India, its fireflies, like dancing stars. :)

Well.
We seem to be on an associative train here.
Let me add my two cents.

There are crickets on some south pacific island which are in danger of extinction. The reason? An introduced predatory fly has taken advantage of the sound of the cricket mating call to home in on them and kill them.

So. Natural selection steps in.

What happens?
Crickets with smooth wings are selected and the mating calls of the crickets die out. The flies can no longer track the cricket by their signature sound.

A problem?
You bet.

If the flies can't find the crickets... neither can the cricket females...

But.
Ha!
Here's the tricky bit.

A series of experiments has taken place where speakers blaring out cricket mating calls have been placed and observed.
The mute crickets swarm around these speakers and intercept females heading for the speakers.

The scientists suggest that the same thing occurs sans speakers. There are still some few crickets left that make noise.

But, it's all headed towards an evolutionary dead end.

Or is it?

They don't know.
They'll have to wait and see if 'nature finds a way'...

As to the mushrooms.
Pretty spooky green glow.
Almost unreal looking.

As to the mushrooms.
Pretty spooky green glow.
Almost unreal looking.

Very useful too, we use the luciferase gene (from fireflies) in reporter assays and detect the luminescence as an endpoint. Cool stuff!

An introduced predatory fly has taken advantage of the sound of the cricket mating call to home in on them and kill them.

Let's hope they never acquire the skill of the lyrebird. ;)

http://www.devilducky.com/media/46386/

Awesome video shown above of their mimicking capabilities. Serious!

Edit: Oops, the fly hears the crickets to find em, I thought the fly was able to mimick the sound to have the crickets come to them, lol -- whoops!

- N

Back