Giving up your DNA

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
I hate hate hate this new law. I understand if you are convicted and then have to give the DNA sample, but not having to give one if arrested. I find it worrisome how we roll over to fear and give up our rights so easily. How long til a crime is committed and they do neighborhood DNA sweeps saying "if you're not guilty, what do you have to worry about". :mad:

New Michigan law allows police to take, keep DNA before convictions

FLINT, Michigan -- You're not innocent until proven guilty anymore -- at least when it comes to your DNA.

Pretty soon everyone who is arrested for a violent crime will automatically become a suspect in every unsolved crime with DNA evidence nationwide.

With just a quick swab on the inside of your mouth at the time of arrest, police agencies across the nation will forever have access to your DNA.

No more waiting until that person is actually found guilty. Currently, DNA is taken only kept on file for convicted criminals -- which has given police the keys to solve several Genesee County cases that lingered unsolved for years....

.....The new testing for people arrested goes into effect July 1. The measure passed unanimously in the state Senate and by a vote of 103-3 in the House. Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed it into law Dec. 30.

Just for messing with you:

Let's say your kid gets kidnapped and murdered, and although there is inconclusive evidence against a person, he walks because there is no DNA evidence against him.

How would you feel?

Just for messing with you:

Let's say your kid gets kidnapped and murdered, and although there is inconclusive evidence against a person, he walks because there is no DNA evidence against him.

How would you feel?

I'd feel like crap. I'd be angry. But I'm not about screw over everyone's rights just because it suits my case.

I hate hate hate this new law. I understand if you are convicted and then have to give the DNA sample, but not having to give one if arrested. I find it worrisome how we roll over to fear and give up our rights so easily. How long til a crime is committed and they do neighborhood DNA sweeps saying "if you're not guilty, what do you have to worry about". :mad:

how about fingerprints...against those too?

So when you are arrested one of the first things done is take fingerprints AND they are kept. Regardless of weather or not there is a conviction.

Not to mention all the other times they are taken for jobs and other reasons. Guess you are against fingerprinting too then.

Fingerprints is a good point because it is exactly the same issue and it is interesting that this one doesn't bother the OP...

The government is trying to build as big of a fingerprints base as they can...

I agree to Orleander, this is an extremely anti-civil scheme law. DNA is our own fortress within us, if we give it up, we give up ourselves.

Fingerprints is a good point because it is exactly the same issue and it is interesting that this one doesn't bother the OP...

The government is trying to build as big of a fingerprints base as they can...

Having fingerprints of criminals on file is fine, it's part of the case, it would also be fine to have possible suspects(providing they be removed when the case is finished). Not only is it against civil liberties to have things like that on file from innocent people but it also invites corruption. Same as it's against civil liberties to put CCTV up everywhere so you can watch every move of innocent people or to bug their houses, after all; "if you're innocent you've got nothing to worry about".

1984 this is not.:bugeye:

They take fingerprints from:

- if you were arrested, innocent or guilty
- every immigrants
- certain job applicants
- military recruits
etc.etc.

Just building a nice government data base... :)

I have no problem with it in the least. In fact, I think everyone should be on file and babies should have a sample taken right after birth.

Not only would it aid in identifying criminals, it would also be TREMENDOUSLY helpful in identifying victims. At this very moment, there are hundreds of thousands of bodies, body parts and other remains held in morgues in the U.S. alone. If that database was complete now, every one of those could be identified in just a matter of a few hours.

The more samples you have in your database, the more pairs of false matches between different people's profiles.

...At this very moment, there are hundreds of thousands of bodies, body parts and other remains held in morgues in the U.S. alone. ....

I am not rolling over and giving up my civil rights...my children's civil rights just so a dead body can be identified.

I am not rolling over and giving up my civil rights...my children's civil rights just so a dead body can be identified.

That makes no sense at all coming from someone who doesn't mind a fingerprint database. That's very inconsistent thinking.:shrug:

That makes no sense at all coming from someone who doesn't mind a fingerprint database. That's very inconsistent thinking.:shrug:

I don't equate fingerprints with DNA. I don't think its inconsistent, you do.
If you want my DNA, find away to get it. I don't think I should have to give it to you because I was arrested.

Back