Giant Squid

airavata

portentous
Registered Senior Member
i was watching this show on NatGeo, about the giant squid. it went really in depth and showed quite a few videos and pics of dead giant squids that had been caught in fishing nets. i was stupified......they were HUGE. i mean really long and broad. noone has seen one alive however, and apparentley it lives very deep down.does anyone know anything more about this creature? i'm fascinated. looks like the legends about the kraken might be true:eek:

Yes giant squids are fascinating.
I can assure you that if the dead ones stupify you a live one would blow your mind.
Not saying I've seen one but when it comes to squid, dead ones look like a pile of goo compared to live ones. A giant squid would be overwhelming to witness in action.

See that big, suckerless squid (actually not but thats what it looks like) that they catch on film sporadically? THAT is a sight to see.

i share dr. lou's stupification. as far as i know a giant squid has never been caight on film. it lives really deep. there was a model in which a human being was compared to a giant squid...... oh man...only then did i realise how massive this thing really is.

I think it's soo wierd that they have never seen a live one before. You'd think that they would bump into one durring a deep-sea expedition..

Originally posted by DouBTlessWonDer
I think it's soo wierd that they have never seen a live one before. You'd think that they would bump into one durring a deep-sea expedition..

Like airavata mentioned that they live really deep. Sceintists believe that these squids probably exist but live way too deep for us to even explore on. It is believed that they live in extreme depths and very cold reigions of earth. I hace seen pictures of dead ones which were ridicuolously long but scientists say that are way longer than the ones found dead. I believe the longest one found yet had tentacles that were 23 feet long.:eek:

Geez, What a pity this is. Just yesterday CNN.com Science and Nature ran an article and showed a beautiful picture of the first ever photo of a giant squid taken under water by some Japenese scientist. Then they pulled the article because of copyright restrictions. I'm sure you'll be able to see it again soon. In the meantime refer to their replacement article at http://www.brokentype.com/blog/000262.html

Back