Getting away with murder

gabreal

Registered Member
At school, everyone in the year has to write a LONG story. In my class, the damn teacher wants us to write a mystery story.

I've decided to do mine a bit like the movie "Murder by Numbers".

I need some help with the police investigation bit. I need to know how somebody can be convicted for muder. Stuff like, if the police needs motive, how muuch testimony, how investigation.

Because I live in England, I need these things by English Law.

Thanks

i dont even know my own law but i rock at class debates, here is the general stuf you need for a conviction: there must be sufficient evidence so prove that the person accused was at the scene during the time of the murder, then they must also prove that the person accused actually did it or they can say that they saw someone else do it, then it must be proved that the accused had the means to commit murder and didnt just look and the guy and he died

they can also use forensic evidence, they can call up primary witnesses and police officers, and for a successful conviction, the evidence must be sufficient to convince the jury that the defendant committed the crime "WITHOUT A REASONABLE DOUBT", and the defendant is innocent until proven guilty

I cant help you with English law, but I could help you out with what i know using American law... that movie is what i do for a living! send me a message if you need more info.

I'd definately like to know more. I guess IK could combine the laws. After all, they can't be too diferent.

Ah English law, I studied that last year. Okay, in order to have the charge of murder you need to kill someone with the actual intention to kill or seriously harm them. So if you go out of your way to hurt someone and they die from that.

You can get away with murder through the following means:

If you're a woman on your period, you are not acting the way you normally would so you'd have a lower sentence of manslaughter. But if there is evidence to prove it was thought of while not on a period, you be going down!

If you seriously injure someone and they are on life support and die from their injuries over a year after the incident happened you'll get manslaughter.

And if you kill someone in an act of momentary rage then you'll probably get manslaughter too as you are not thinking as you usually would. But if you have a history of short-temperness then that may not stand.

Hope ths helps.

Okay, momentery rage is different to pre-meditated murder. What exactly is the punishment for manslaughter?

Back to what eddiemrsci said, do you mean that there has tobe masses of evidence, or at least damn good stuff, for the defendant to be found guilty? So a person could have some evidence against him, but not much, and be found not guilty?

I just want to make sure I've got these things right.

Also, how would the persecution go?

Back