Georgia

*stRgrL*

Kicks ass
Valued Senior Member
Hey ya'll! Since I completely trust and look up to all of you here, I would like to ask a few questions. I am looking to move to either Louisiana or Georgia. I found an 8 bedroom beautiful house in Atlanta for a very reasonable price. The problem is I have never been to either state, just heard its really pretty, relaxing, fairly cheap and a better area to raise children. What I want to know is:
1) Anyone know how the job market is around those areas?
2) Is it actually a nice place to live?
3) Are there bad commutes (traffic jams) if you live outside a major city?
4) Does New Orleans actually stink? (Ive heard that the city smells - I could be mistaken it with a different city though)
and
5) Would anyone come to a house-warming bash if I threw one?:D

Okay the latter question was a kind of a joke. Im a horrible hostess:) So can anyone give any advise or any info on the states that I listed. Sure would be appreciated...

Banshee: You live in Louisiana right? Can you provide any info?:)

Take care:)

I am in the northern half of Florida and quite close to the Georgia border. I've been to Atlanta at least twice (once for the Olympics and once for E3).

Georgia is a good place. It is quite nice there. And since you have a deal on this house, why not go for it? That's my word. Forget Louisiana

Having lived in N.C., Fla, and La, I would say go for La. Lots more to do there and the people are laid back. There is a lot to do in any of those states so it is not just that.

What specfically are you looking for?

All major cities are a hassel for traffic jams. That includes Atlanta and New Orleans. Atlanta increased the size of their main arteries some years ago to deal with the problem and it is still there. New Orleans has recently increased it's size of the arteries and still needs more. Jobs are plentiful in N.O. depending upon your skills. It has been some years since I have been in the Atlanta area so I am not up to snuff on the job market there.

If you are looking for safety for the kids then do not live inside a large city. There are times when I don't lock the doors and am not worried about it.

Housing in the large cities will cost you. So will commuting. Take your pick.

The temperature will rise about 2 or 3 degrees coming in from outside the city. It is warmer in the Big Easy than in the areas surrounding it.

There are festivals in La starting in Mar and going through the fall. They are all over the state. The Strawberry Festival, The Crab festival, The Tarpon Rodeo, Shrimp festival, Oyster festival, Greek festival, Home owners festival, (did I mention Marti Gras?) Annual Chili Cookoff, The Jazz festival, and many, many, many, more. There is the Aquarium of the America's, The French Quarter, ( I can not for the life of me think of the big theater) the beaches, City Park, The Zoo, The Moon Walk (Where the paddle boats tie up at), Jackson Square, The Super Dome with all kinds of activities, NAS Cecil Air Feild (annual air show) Fort Jackson (civil war era, annual recreation) Jackson Park (annual civil war recreation), the cemetary that I can not think of the name of (it was in Easy Rider movie) and the list goes on and on. There are also many "shows" that occur during the year, such as the annual boat show, electronics show, gun and knife show, home owners show to mention a few.

In Atlanta I remember Atlanta Underground, some dynomite concerts, and a few other things. As I said it has been years since I have been in the area.

Back