Geneva Large Hadron Collider

albertchong1999

The truth is out there
Registered Senior Member
Regarding to the Large Hadron Collider, can it produce a small black hole in that collider?

My answer is NO.

So It won't eat up the whole world, don't worry... Intense gravity is produced by great mass, not by AN atom itself which has not enough mass by its own. So the black hole hypothesis in that collider will dismay lot of scientist.

Regarding to the Large Hadron Collider, can it produce a small black hole in that collider?
Depends on which model you ask.

My answer is NO.
And you reached this conclusion based on ....?

So It won't eat up the whole world, don't worry... Intense gravity is produced by great mass, not by AN atom itself which has not enough mass by its own.
The point would be that it starts eating other particles and gets bigger. If it didn't eat any it wouldn't be dangerous. Which it isn't.

So the black hole hypothesis in that collider will dismay lot of scientist.
Except that very very few people put forth any models which suggest the LHC can make black holes and no one would be that put out if it didn't make any. Its mostly for testing the limits of the Standard Model. The issue of black holes is mostly a secondary one in terms of research. It'd be nice if we saw some but it wouldn't really be a 'dismay' if we didn't. The great thing about the LHC is that its a win win situation. If it finds no new particles, particularly the Higgs, then it means the entire Standard Model must be torn down and ubilt back up again. If it does find the Higgs it is a massive vindication of the Standard Model.

Most physicists want something completely outside our expectations. Research would be terribly boring if we only saw what we expected. In fact, I've seen the guy who runs the LHC give a talk at a conference where he recalled telling Margaret Thatcher (she visited CERN in the early 80s and asked 'What do you do' to this guy) that his work is to find things which contradict theory because it's a lot more interesting when that happens.

Back