Genetics Job Info

Tall

Registered Member
Hey everyone, first post here. I have this project for my Algebra class in which I have to talk about what I want to do when I'm older. I've put some thought into it, and decided something in Genetics would be a good thing to do the project on, and would be interesting.

The big question of the project is: "How much math will be needed to do your carreer?" Can anybody who knows fill me in on this, or give me a site to check out? It's asking stuff like would I use basic algebra skills, calculus, trig, etc., and what would I use them for in the job, like coding DNA or something. I'm not sure exactly where in genetics I want to do the project on, so could you also point a couple of the branches out?

Thanks in advance! :) :D

Hi Tall,

I'm an evolutionary/conservation geneticist. Although I took 3 semesters calc. and of course algerbra and trig, I only use algerbra in my research. Just basic stuff for making solutions (i.e. look at the use of algerbra in any basic chemistry text). There is a huge area of research in bioinformatics which I suspect will contain a lot of mathematical concepts. Also, genetic analyses use algorithms for phylogenetics that use basic and advanced mathematical concepts. Go to <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=Books> for free access to books on genetic analysis. Also, try looking at a text called "Evolutionary Genetics" by John Maynard Smith.

Good Luck

Re: Re: Genetics Job Info

Originally posted by paulsamuel
Hi Tall,

I'm an evolutionary/conservation geneticist. Although I took 3 semesters calc. and of course algerbra and trig, I only use algerbra in my research. Just basic stuff for making solutions (i.e. look at the use of algerbra in any basic chemistry text). There is a huge area of research in bioinformatics which I suspect will contain a lot of mathematical concepts. Also, genetic analyses use algorithms for phylogenetics that use basic and advanced mathematical concepts. Go to <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=Books> for free access to books on genetic analysis. Also, try looking at a text called "Evolutionary Genetics" by John Maynard Smith.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info! It helped a lot. ;)

Back