Genetic Splicing

Wings

Registered Senior Member
This is just a brainstorming exercise for those interested. Upon reading the resurrected Wings post, I noticed the combination of both bird and human DNA. Now I thought to myself: "Well that's just silly. We all know it can't be done." Let's suppose it can. How would one go about splicing two species DNA? How would you create a viable embryo? What information are we lacking? What technology do we need? I have yet to formulate my own hypothesis, but I just thought I'd throw it out there before I tried it.

Alright, I'll start off by explaining what 'genetic splicing' is. To simply put it, DNA(deoxyribosenucleicacid) is made up of smaller molecules which build on each other to form a double helic formation. genes are expressed by amino acids that express protiens that tell other cells what to do. . . yada yada yada. All you need to understand is that DNA in all Eukaryotic organisms is composed of the same nucleic acids bonded to a phosphobackbone. since there are only 4 nucelic acids used in DNA (represented as G T C A), genes are expressed by the order of these acids (example. . a gene might be seen as 5' GAATCCAAGATTAC3') so say a cell is spliced open, the DNA is seperated (out of the double helix into 2 sincle helix polymers) and the gene is placed into a spot.

so what we need compared to what we have

we have the ability to put bacterial DNA into corn DNA. most all corn that you eat has a toxin called Bt toxin integraded into it, producing a natural pestacide that soil bacteria produce.
People commonly call these results GMOs or Genetically Modified Organisms.

theoretically you would need haploid sells(gametes or sex cells). You would need to go through your meiosis I and II and then take a daughter cell and yeah. . . just science after that.

Back