Genetic resistance to AIDS

fedr808

Valued Senior Member
I heard of this very rare genetic mutation in Europe that prevents AIDS.
I'm pretty sure that the people with it do not produce a protein that is put on the skin of the white blood cells. It is not life threatening. But supposedly AIDS needs the protein to latch onto and to get to work, and without it, it is impossible for AIDS to take hold and so the person is "immune" I read of a story where someone with advanced AIDS had a bone marrow transplant from a person with this mutation and within 6 months there was no trace of AIDS.

Does anyone have any more info on this?

It's not that the protein is not on the surface of the cell. What has happened is the binding site on the protein that HIV binds to is altered in such a way that the viral particle can no longer attach. HIV attaches to CD4 and a co-receptor CCR5 surface protein of CD4+ T-cells, and the mutation occurs in the CCR5 gene. The CCR5 in the immune individuals has changed so that the surface protein of HIV cannot bind to it, and thus cannot enter the cells and destroy them.

I haven't heard anything about that, but it's very likely. A lot of mutations (even harmful ones) can protect people against other serious diseases. For example, in Africa where Malaria runs rampant, having one sickle-celled gene actually HELPS them. Malaria attacks healthy red blood cells, so sickle cells are not conducive for malaria.

It's not that the protein is not on the surface of the cell. What has happened is the binding site on the protein that HIV binds to is altered in such a way that the viral particle can no longer attach. HIV attaches to CD4 and a co-receptor CCR5 surface protein of CD4+ T-cells, and the mutation occurs in the CCR5 gene. The CCR5 in the immune individuals has changed so that the surface protein of HIV cannot bind to it, and thus cannot enter the cells and destroy them.

okay thanks idle

Back