Genetic Jot that makes us unique

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
The genetic differences between individual human beings are much greater than was previously thought, according to research that offers a fresh explanation for the unique physical and psychological characteristics of every person.

A revolutionary map that compared the genomes of 270 people has shown that humans are not 99.9 per cent genetically identical as assumed, but that much more of our DNA varies between one person and the next.

Whereas previous analysis of the human genome had suggested that no more than 0.1 per cent of it underlaid all the genetic differences between individuals, the new findings indicate that at least three times more DNA actually varies.

The results reveal a new category of genetic diversity that promises to explain certain inherited disorders, and why some people are more susceptible to diseases or respond badly to particular drugs.

The work could be especially significant for HIV/Aids, Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and developmental disorders similar to Down’s syndrome, which can all be affected by the newly identified disparities. The extra variation also expands the ways in which a person’s DNA profile can affect temperament and behaviour, and points to previously unknown genetic differences between Homo sapiens and our closest animal relative, the chimpanzee.

Just as humans seem to be 0.3 per cent genetically different from one another, and not 0.1 per cent, so we may be 3 per cent and not 1 per cent different from chimps, scientists behind the study say.

Charles Lee, of Harvard Medical School, a leader of the research, said: “The evidence shows that we are more genetically unique, compared to one another. That is gratifying in a way. We are all physically different, and we all react differently to environmental stimuli and to drugs.

“We are also finding evidence that could help to explain why humans are not chimps. We can safely say that there’s a lot more genetic variation between the human genome and the chimp genome than was appreciated.”

The first studies of the human genome, which was mapped five years ago, reached the figure of 0.1 per cent variation between individuals by looking at changes in single DNA “letters” known as single nucleotide polymorphisms, or SNPs. Similar studies put the genetic difference between humans and chimps at about 1 per cent of DNA.

This surprisingly low genetic variation led many scientists to wonder how so little DNA could be responsible for such significant differences as those between individual humans, and between humans and other animals.

The new research offers an answer: the old estimates were incomplete. It has expanded the range of variation by looking also at much larger segments of genetic code, which can be repeated many times or deleted entirely from the genome.

While most people have two copies of each gene, one inherited from each parent, some genes or fragments of genes can be absent altogether, or repeated five or ten times over in certain individuals. These changes, known as copy number variation (CNV), sometimes have no obvious effects, but they can influence disease or other aspects of human development.

An international research team has now mapped the genome for CNV, encompassing genetic changes of 500 or more DNA letters.

Their results, published today in the journal Nature, show that 12 per cent of the human genome is susceptible to such variation. Not all these possible changes will separate any two individuals, but scientists think that their genomes will usually vary by about 0.3 per cent.

Matthew Hurles, of the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, in Hinxton, Cambridgeshire, a leader of the research, said: “The variation that researchers had seen before was simply the tip of the iceberg, while the bulk lay submerged, undetected.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2466842,00.html

This news plays right into the racist's hands.

This is about individual variation. Its not surprising actually that it's so high, but I wonder how much of the unique region contributes to our individuality. It may not be as obvious as it appears.

I do not think so for two reasons:

(1) Most of the racist's are not bothered by scientific facts or even well aware of them as they already "know" their "race" (which ever one it is) is superior to all others.

(2) As Samcdkey noted, this news indicates greater variation in the genetic potential of INDIVIDUALS OF ALL RACES. - Thus it support the view that at least 49% of race "A" has supperior genetic gifts than the bottom 49% of race "B."

Not necessary to say which race is A and which is B and clearly there is no reason to discriminate on the basis of race in the opportunities extended to any race. Doing so just throws away (by underdevelopment) approximately half of the best brains.

There is no evidence that differences assigns to intraracial or interracial variance.

Thereby it plays into no one's hands.

Geoff

That's why boys often grow up to be just like their fathers--even when they try desperately not to. Genetics are powerful stuff.

Ever heard the story about the Jims?
http://science.howstuffworks.com/twin1.htm

Anybody who's looked at some identical twin studies knows that genetics are a force to be reckoned with. They often define us to the very fine details.

Quick! Everyone close your eyes and pretend you didn't see! We can't let the racists win!!

Heh.
Science is what it is.
Do you think we should stifle scientific research in order to further our cultural ideals?
And where will this end?

And. As Geoff said, nobody even mentioned race.

Oh well, better sweep it under the rug, then.

I don't know if it needs to be interpreted in a "racist" way. We're all different and all beautiful. We just don't mix well, or at least, it's not a good idea (and history proves it).

Multiculturalism is a failure, but that doesn't mean we have to hate each other.

:m:

I'm sorry people, I suppose I must be being exceptionally dense today - but I couldn't help discerning from actually reading the above article that it's been discovered that humans, quite despite actual expectation, in practice actually differ from each other to a significant extent - meaning, in essence, there remain actually fewer grounds supporting whatever notions as exist regarding concepts of ethnic grouping rather than more.

Quite how this is supposed to be playing into racist's hands to begin with I'm afraid I don't appear to possess the wit to readily gather - perhaps someone could care to enlighten me here, please or have I been reading a completely different article...?

Oh, always old man. This particular week it seems to be all I apparently live for....

Its really frustrating how every discussion degenerates to the same ole same ole overanalysed overemphasised and totally unimportant issues

Mmmmm, I can imagine. Largely why I rarely initiate threads. The past several weeks it all seems to be pulled down to a debate concerning racism whatever the subject matter...

Sorry it appears, for now, to have gone down the tubes - but, hey - good article. I for one am glad you posted it. Actually interesting read, for what its worth.

Back