Genetic Diseases/Metabolic Pathways

bruce2k

Registered Member
Hi,

As part of my degree I am studying PCR analysis of DNA. I will be studying the effects of different enzymes have on the DNA after. So for example, in people who are lactose intolerant, I will study the gene sequence before and after the addition of B-Galactosinase. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good databse with the pathways for the genes/enzymes of interest.

I want to look into a number of disorders too so any advice or where to look for the genetics of the diseases and their metabolic pathways is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Welcome bruce2k. :)

Hmmm. I have to say that this doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. If you are looking for some input, you will need to provide more detail and clarification. (As an aside, I think you mean beta-galactosidase.)

....after the addition of beta-galactosidase.

Are you referring to some sort of in vitro experiment? Surely you can’t mean human experiments because (a) you won’t get ethics approval to give people a pure enzyme to consume and (b) it won’t work anyway because the beta-galactosidase enzyme is merely a protein and will be digested like any other protein – swallowing it won’t restore lactase activity and reverse lactose intolerance.

If it’s an in vitro experiment, how will that work? Are you going to simply co-incubate beta-galactosidase with some DNA? If so, what makes you think a hydrolase enzyme that acts of carbohydrate substrates to catalyze the hydrolysis of β-galactosides into monosaccharides will have any effect on DNA? I imagine that beta-galactosidase will have no interaction with DNA at all.

I will study the gene sequence....

What gene sequences will you concentrate on, and why? Are you referring to genomic DNA? Specifically, what type of analyses will you perform?

The phrase “study the gene sequence” suggests that you will perform DNA sequence analysis. But this would only be worthwhile if you thought that beta-galactosidase will induce changes in DNA sequences, which it won’t. Besides, if you want to study the mutagenic properties of something you need to do it in a living system (ie. in living cells) not simply naked DNA in a tube.

This is fine but you have to clearly provide the details.
You have a good point but study it more first then have a better output of it.
Elaborate the topic more then record what you have to say with it.

Back