• Other

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
So what do we call this?

Microsoft founder turned philanthropist Bill Gates released a glass full of mosquitoes at an elite technology conference to make a point about the deadly disease malaria.

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," Gates said while opening a jar onstage at the Technology, Entertainment, Design Conference — a gathering known to attract technology kings, politicians, and Hollywood stars.

"I brought some. Here I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected" ....

.... Gates then waited a minute or so before assuring the audience the freed insects were malaria-free.

(FOXnews.com)

Is it terrorism? After all, sending a harmless white powder in the mail in order to pretend to threaten someone is a prosecutable offense. Is it mere activism?

I find the whole idea rather amusing, but making rich people uncomfortable is often viewed as a bad thing.

And, hell, if teachers are terrorists, one would think making a room full of rich people think they're about to get malaria ought to count as something.

Does anyone remember the time when this sort of thing was funny?

Notes:

"Bill Gates Unleashes Swarm of Mosquitoes on Crowd". FOXnews.com. February 5, 2009. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,488348,00.html

Toppo, Greg. "Education chief calls teachers union 'terrorist organization'". USA Today. Updated February 24, 2004. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-02-23-paige-remarks_x.htm

you know...at what age does senility begin to show? to be honest i think it can start as early as 50. that is in some people can go as far as 90s. life is strange that way.

you just dont know. i say tht i dont care about money nearly as much as i care about retaining all my marbles.

you know...at what age does senility begin to show? to be honest i think it can start as early as 50. that is in some people can go as far as 90s. life is strange that way.

you just dont know. i say tht i dont care about money nearly as much as i care about retaining all my marbles.

Today people are being afflicted with Alzheimer's at younger and younger ages, some in their 50's.

You actually have marbles, I thought they were grains of sand! :D

So what do we call this?

I find the whole idea rather amusing, but making rich people uncomfortable is often viewed as a bad thing.
Who, other than rich people would see this as a bad thing?
Everyone enjoys seeing 'pretty' and rich people fall.

Does anyone remember the time when this sort of thing was funny?
I still think it's funny. Don't underestimate the joy of pushing the buttons of/harrassing people who have no sense of humor.

So anyone actually believed that the mosquitoes were not malaria free ?

Poor mosquitoes.

Interestingly, the mosquitoes that bite you are always females..
And the scorpions that can sting you are the females.
The female praying mantis and black widow eat their male partners.

I think Bill Gates has a pretty good sense of humor for a super rich guy that could probably take over several small African nations with the mercenaries he hires. Do you guys remember when he got pied in the face at an airport, and he didn't press charges? His only complaint was that they could have tasted better. I know if I got pied by a stranger I'd kick the shit out of them.

while I can not condone the method I don't think anyone can dislike his message( except for rich people who think being rich and powerful should allow them more rights)

Last edited:
Back