FYI: How Much Bacteria Do People Carry Around?

KilljoyKlown

Whatever
Valued Senior Member
After reading this article I know I was surprised and I do have a new respect for my Belly Button Biodiversity now.:D

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-09/fyi-how-much-bacteria-do-people-carry-around
Enough to fill a big soup can. “That’s three to five pounds of bacteria,” says Lita Proctor, the program coordinator of the National Institutes of Health’s Human Microbiome Project, which studies the communities of bacteria living on and in us. The bacteria cells in our body outnumber human cells 10 to 1, she says, but because they are much smaller than human cells, they account for only about 1 to 2 percent of our body mass—though they do make up about half of our body’s waste.

The host of bacteria we carry around weren’t well-cataloged until recently. In July, at North Carolina State University, the Belly Button Biodiversity study found about 1,400 different strains of bacteria living in the navels of 95 participants. Of these, 662 strains were previously unrecognized.

A new nonprofit called MyMicrobes wants to connect people through a social network exclusively to talk and compare experiences with, you guessed it, bacteria (specifically gastrointestinal bacteria).

Could I get some sort of credit card and thereby carry fewer bacteria?

Your better off not handling any credit cards that other people put their grubby hands on. (You don't know where those hands have been before they touched your card):D Do you know if your bacteria is compatible with those that others are caring around. If not, does one persons bacteria kick the other persons bacteria's ass and take over the new neighborhood?:D

So we need to take good care of out little friends, and figure out how to keep the bad ones away. I wonder how long it's going to take them to figure out who's who in the bacteria zoo?

Bacterial life on and in humans orchestrates health and disease

http://esciencenews.com/articles/20...fe.and.humans.orchestrates.health.and.disease

A mounting tide of scientific evidence suggests that the old adage from Aesop's fables — "You are known by the company you keep" — also applies to the trillions of microscopic bacteria and viruses that live on the human body. Humanity's invisible but constant companions — more bacteria hang out on the palms of your hands than there are people on Earth — is the topic of an article in the current edition of Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN), ACS' weekly newsmagazine. C&EN Associate Editor Sarah Everts notes in the article that the astonishing diversity of microbes inhabiting every inch of the skin and parts of the interior profoundly influences your quality of life — mostly for good — from cradle to grave. Microbes protect people from disease, make essential vitamins, and provide digestive enzymes needed to break down plant fibers for energy. Microbes also may have a say in whether people are skinny or fat and how they smell.

In the past three years, scientists have begun several large projects to map the diversity and activities of these microbes in hopes of linking them to health and disease. The projects include the National Institutes of Health's Human Microbiome Project and the European Union's Metagenomics of the Human Intestinal Tract. These and other projects are starting to reveal that every part of the body has its own ecosystem, much like the diversity of landscapes on Earth.

Back