Fungi and Algae in Drinking Water

Diode-Man

Awesome User Title
Registered Senior Member
Last year my "brother" gave me a gallon of water to drink which he stated was "distilled," I drank half then let the gallon sit in my room for a few months. My stomach ached for several weeks, eventually the water turned a dark swampy green. (there was a swampy gross pond of the same color near his previous work too!)

How damaging could that be to my body?

My "brother" grew up as my "arch bully," but I never thought he'd poison water and give it to me. If there is a God, he's going to hell for that shit.

I'm now angry I didn't keep the water for observation under a microscope.

Even the cleanest water will form algae if left to sit for a "few months". The only way to tell if the water sickened you was to test it when you drank it.

Distilled water is not good for drinking, as mentioned. However, in distilled water nothing should be able to grow, either. Unless of course, you drank directly from it, hence inoculating your bottle....

naw your brother contaminated it im sure or it was bad water.

i do a lot of marine bio studies and have a constant source of DI water on hand. 20 gallons plus always been in the same container and never cleaned. i have had that container for over 6 years. not a visible trace of algae or similar large quantities of bacteria. the container is constantly being contaminated.... get my drift. trust me though i wont drink it.

see the reason is there isnt much of anything in the water for stuff to grow with... its just water. to get that much green the water would have to have a fair amount of nutrients. i grow phytoplankton as food so i know whats needed to get green water. cant grow without nutrients... final.

Last edited:
naw your brother contaminated it im sure or it was bad water.

i do a lot of marine bio studies and have a constant source of DI water on hand. 20 gallons plus always been in the same container and never cleaned. i have had that container for over 6 years. not a visible trace of algae or similar large quantities of bacteria. the container is constantly being contaminated.... get my drift. trust me though i wont drink it.

see the reason is there isnt much of anything in the water for stuff to grow with... its just water. to get that much green the water would have to have a fair amount of nutrients. i grow phytoplankton as food so i know whats needed to get green water. cant grow without nutrients... final.

Egad! And you consider yourself to be some sort of marine biologist????? Even an amateur one?????

Even distilled water kept on hand in labs for eyewash in case of chemical splashes/etc. is considered unsafe after 6 months because of bacterial growth contamination.

Tell the WHOLE truth now, what are you really? Some kind of lowly deckhand??

wtf are your talking about?

Your entire statement that I quoted. And this in particular: "see the reason is there isnt much of anything in the water for stuff to grow with... its just water. to get that much green the water would have to have a fair amount of nutrients. i grow phytoplankton as food so i know whats needed to get green water. cant grow without nutrients... final."

Any - and I repeat ANY biologist (marine or otherwise) knows that even distilled water contains enough traces of nutrients for bacteria to grow. Granted, it's not 'green water' but it does support microbial growth and development.

So, exactly what is your occupation? Student? Assistant? General flunky? Or what?

Egad! And you consider yourself to be some sort of marine biologist????? Even an amateur one?????

Even distilled water kept on hand in labs for eyewash in case of chemical splashes/etc. is considered unsafe after 6 months because of bacterial growth contamination.

Dude. I had the water for like 3 months and it became a dark and unsettling green in that time.

Believe you me, distilled water doesn't turn green after 3 months. So obviously something really **cked up was going on there!

My brother once told me he "heard the voice of God," so I'm telling you, something really weird was/or is happening with him! Murderers don't hear the voice of God! Thats like saying Hitler was a good guy, which he for sure was f**king not. (though, like Hitler, he probably thought he was doing the "right thing," how else could such shit happen?)

My brother was a door bashing child when he was young, and a hellion of a bully. These days I avoid contact with him, I've forgiven him of his jackassery, but my brain has associated his face with pain, and I don't think that can be undone over night. And I get extremely annoyed when he expects me to forget his murder attempt, which I'm sure he would deny just as he denied everything else fucked up he did when he was young... he would tell the parents the exact opposite story of what actually happened, and with his booming voice It was hard to get the truth through to them.

The piano has given me the truth of light, which light, he will continue to pretend to see as he always has.

Last edited:
read only has been running around bashing me in threads. i think that he does not like the idea that i am trying to understand certain concepts.

as i said i would not drink my DI water. for sure there is bacteria and im sure if i did some tests i would discover some trace of algae.

i had 2 600 gallon clear acrylic containers of di water. in those three years i never did anything other than rinse the insides out with DI. no scrubbing or use of critical cleaners e.g. alconox. i used those containers as a water source of controlled quality. the containers where open to the air but, i was in a clean room. still wouldn't drink it haha

Last edited:
Dude. I had the water for like 3 months and it became a dark and unsettling green in that time.

Believe you me, distilled water doesn't turn green after 3 months. So obviously something really **cked up was going on there!

My brother once told me he "heard the voice of God," so I'm telling you, something really weird was/or is happening with him! Murderers don't hear the voice of God! Thats like saying Hitler was a good guy, which he for sure was f**king not. (though, like Hitler, he probably thought he was doing the "right thing," how else could such shit happen?)

My brother was a door bashing child when he was young, and a hellion of a bully. These days I avoid contact with him, I've forgiven him of his jackassery, but my brain has associated his face with pain, and I don't think that can be undone over night. And I get extremely annoyed when he expects me to forget his murder attempt, which I'm sure he would deny just as he denied everything else fucked up he did when he was young... he would tell the parents the exact opposite story of what actually happened, and with his booming voice It was hard to get the truth through to them.

The piano has given me the truth of light, which light, he will continue to pretend to see as he always has.

Dude, yourself - learn to read more carefully!

You completely misunderstood me. My ONLY point of discussion was that real distilled water WILL still support microbial growth - and I specifically said NOT 'green water.'
Got it now???

Dude, yourself - learn to read more carefully!

You completely misunderstood me. My ONLY point of discussion was that real distilled water WILL still support microbial growth - and I specifically said NOT 'green water.'
Got it now???

i think your point was more than as you say.

and what i wrote

not a visible trace of algae or similar large quantities of bacteria. the container is constantly being contaminated.... get my drift. trust me though i wont drink it.

to get that much green the water would have to have a fair amount of nutrients. cant grow without nutrients... final.

ok im guilty of bad grammar (i have add)

seems to me you are having trouble reading and that you are suggesting more than whether distilled water would support a tiny amount of algae or bacteria.

still distilled water doesn't have the level of purity that DI water has. so i would suspect a slightly higher level of growth in distilled water

also im not bashing you readonly i just protecting what you have challenged and insulted

Last edited:
Read-only said:
Any - and I repeat ANY biologist (marine or otherwise) knows that even distilled water contains enough traces of nutrients for bacteria to grow. Granted, it's not 'green water' but it does support microbial growth and development.
Mate, actually if it is properly distilled the contaminants are far too low to support growth. It is especially lacking in macronutrients, including carbon and nitrogen sources. However, there is always the chance of downstream contamination. And for the record, I am a biologist.

Mate, actually if it is properly distilled the contaminants are far too low to support growth. It is especially lacking in macronutrients, including carbon and nitrogen sources. However, there is always the chance of downstream contamination. And for the record, I am a biologist.

Good. Then please explain why in ever single lab I worked in, we were explicitly told to dump the distilled water used for emergency eyewash after 6 months of storage.

Hmpf.

Good. Then please explain why in ever single lab I worked in, we were explicitly told to dump the distilled water used for emergency eyewash after 6 months of storage.

However, there is always the chance of downstream contamination.

Depending on the system you use (yours sound to be static) it is just a basic precaution to ensure that a) there is water at all in it, and b) that it the system is kept reasonably clean. Moreover, most systems do not actually use distilled water. As far as I remember it only needs to be potable.

Last edited:
Depending on the system you use (yours sound to be static) it is just a basic precaution to ensure that a) there is water at all in it, and b) that it the system is kept reasonably clean. Moreover, most systems do not actually use distilled water. As far as I remember it only needs to be potable.

and bacteria can and will start growing and they could be the wrong sort.

i did have to tag the DI water .... blue 1. its been awhile. lets see i think the msds says it isnt potable (DI) it can carry bacteria it doesn't have any chlorine to kill stuff.

Back