From Discrimination, To Death

LunarSun

Registered Member
Forgive me if I brought up an old or already existing topic, I'm new to the site and have not looked around in every forum/thread. I am however, curious to other people’s opinions on the following subject: Where it is quite apparent that the Christian/Catholic faiths are one of the most dominating religions in the world. Followed closely by Judaism, Muslim, Jehovah Witness and Buddhism; I ask the question: Whatever happened to the old religions?
Many religions such as Wicca, Paganism, and many of the Native American, Aztec, and Nordic theology, as well as their cultures have long been essentially destroyed. I realize that some of these cultures do still exist today, and are not completely wiped out, but I am curious as to why many of you believe they were wiped out in the first place. A main reason is fear, this is apparent if you simply look at the psychological aspect, of how we perceive things we do not understand. This however, doesn't mean we would not be able to change that now.
Many new age Pagans and Wiccans are still being hazed, or discriminated against, just as different races are. Why, even though we have come so far as a species, are we still unable to accept that which is different from us? If we are unable to accept something different, then it shows quite blatantly through past events (genocide of the Native Americans, Holocaust, etc), that we will ultimately destroy each other.
If the difference between religions and races is so great that even a celestial being is unable to mend it, what hope do we truly have of surviving as a race?

(I ask for no negative criticism, I merely brought this up for a discussion/debate, for I am curious about the thoughts of others on this topic)

Discrimination is as old as religion.

A basic fear of outsiders (that may be the first of a raiding party or conquering tribe) is very deeply ingrained within us.

Even so, the very notions of religion and its exclusiveness are a primitive remnant that is simply outdated in our modern world. In a more competitive environment, it can be beneficial. However, with our intellect, it's not much more than an excuse to act primitive and not put work into finding a better way. I'm sure cooperation can easily be argued as more beneficial...

You answered your own question by pointing out that it is primitive and let's face it-- Religion is a primitive mindset.

Discrimination is as old as religion.

A basic fear of outsiders (that may be the first of a raiding party or conquering tribe) is very deeply ingrained within us.

Even so, the very notions of religion and its exclusiveness are a primitive remnant that is simply outdated in our modern world. In a more competitive environment, it can be beneficial. However, with our intellect, it's not much more than an excuse to act primitive and not put work into finding a better way. I'm sure cooperation can easily be argued as more beneficial...

You answered your own question by pointing out that it is primitive and let's face it-- Religion is a primitive mindset.

I agree that religion is a primitive mindset, though it does allow those who are afraid of the unknown a sense of comfort, which is understandable, for without that sense of control, or comfort in one's life, one would simply spend everyday worrying, and thinking, instead of achieving their goals. The question is then however, how would we be able to combine the minds of both Science and Religion, Philosophy and the lack of thought? To put things that have, for hundreds of years, been in a diplomatic war is, though I rarely say this, impossible. I say this because, if we cannot achieve a sense of peace and harmony between the contrasting sides, then attainment of cooperation is a far cry away.

I agree that religion is a primitive mindset, though it does allow those who are afraid of the unknown a sense of comfort, which is understandable, for without that sense of control, or comfort in one's life, one would simply spend everyday worrying, and thinking, instead of achieving their goals.
Some people might. I am an atheist and I don't worry any more than most believers I know- over the basic problems of life.
The question is then however, how would we be able to combine the minds of both Science and Religion, Philosophy and the lack of thought?
I would suggest that they cannot be well combined.
The tenets of each is just too different.
Science calls upon the scientific method in which falsifiable data is examined.
Religion requires faith of which examination is unnecessary.
Philosophy examines without evidence so much as speculation.
To put things that have, for hundreds of years, been in a diplomatic war is, though I rarely say this, impossible. I say this because, if we cannot achieve a sense of peace and harmony between the contrasting sides, then attainment of cooperation is a far cry away.
Those are not the only options.
One option is much better education on a global scale. Reduce speculation and fear, educate people about how to examine things for what they are and educate people about one another.
Education is Key.

i don't think the differences in themselves are the problem, but the lack of effective communication and cultural exchange.

however, by extreme extrapolation, if there was ideal effective communication and cultural exchange, we would all become one culture and one religion.

i also thin that religions which don't reserve a space for themselves in the internet will be "dead" religions for future generations. and by reserve i mean to have answers where there will definitely be questions, if the questions overwhelm the answers the religion or cult will be shrouded in ambiguity and misunderstanding, and will be casted out and forgotten. at best, it's members or adherents will keep to themselves and be alienated.

Back