Fossil feather colour

blobrana

Registered Senior Member
"The complex coloured plumage of extinct birds which once soared over the heads of dinosaurs could soon be revealed.
Scientists have shown they are able to interpret the colour patterns seen in 100 million-year-old fossil feathers."

Read more

The idea of a palamino mammoth appeals to me.

Most big animals are kind of dull, though. Something about not needing to be distinguished as a member of the same species from a bunch of other similar species, it's said.

"The complex coloured plumage of extinct birds which once soared over the heads of dinosaurs could soon be revealed.
Scientists have shown they are able to interpret the colour patterns seen in 100 million-year-old fossil feathers."

Read more
If true that is wonderful news. I've always wondered what colors the dinosaurs were.

Deinonychus: the source of 300 trillion barrels of crude oil.

deinonychus-tm.jpg

It seems very odd in retrospect, but I never considered that dinosaurs may have been coloured.

@pjdude1219
There are other methods

"American researchers have extracted colourful organic molecules from the fossilised remains of 350-million-year-old sea creatures."

Source

"Patterns in the scales resemble those associated with skin colour changes in lizards. This provides the strongest evidence yet that the animal had stripes"

Source

Last edited:
Back