Former UVM Researcher Prison-bound

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
I just heard about this yesterday from a colleague of mine..............

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=5092634&nav=4QcS

28 June 2006

A former University of Vermont professor was sentenced to prison today for faking research in order to win millions in federal grants.

It's been six years since a UVM grad student blew the whistle on Dr. Eric Poehlman's bogus research findings.

Wednesday Dr. Poehlman became the first researcher in the nation's history to be sentenced to serve prison time for scientific fraud.

Dr. Eric Poehlman declined comment as he entered the federal courthouse for his sentencing.

Poehlman falsified scientific data to secure more than 5-million dollars in grants to research menopause and obesity.

The work earned him international recognition, until six years ago when a research assistant discovered Poehlman had falsified data. Poehlman initially denied the charges, sued the University, and tried to ruin the career of Walter Denino, the grad student who blew the whistle on the scam.

"Dr. Poehlman very maliciously attacked my credibility and my character during the defense, during the investigation," said Denino.

"The predominant damage initially was psychological. Just the actual trauma of being involved in this and having the tables turned and you know accused of being naive," he added.

Poehlman pleaded guilty to one count of fraud a year ago.

At the sentencing he apologized.

He told the judge he faked the research because "I was on a (research grant) treadmill and I couldn't get off." "I panicked . . .I was desperate."

He pleaded for mercy. He asked that he not be sent to prison.

But Judge William Sessions said Poehlman's betrayal of public trust in scientific research was extraordinarily serious.

He sentenced Poehlman to serve one year in a federal prison and gave him 60 days to turn himself in.

Poehlman declined comment as he left the courthouse. But Sally Rockey, who oversees research grants at the National Institute of Health, said the sentence was appropriate -- and an historic first.

"Well there's only been one other case where we had a criminal prosecution of someone who perpetrated scientific misconduct," she explained.

"He is one of the first people to ever be debarred from federal funds for a lifetime and he's serving jail time," she added.

Rockey says Poehlman is the first researcher to be sentenced to prison for falsifying data.

Judge Sessions recommended that he serve his year behind bars at a federal prison work camp, but that decision will be made by the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Comments please

Sam

Oli said:
Sentenced not so much for "falsifying data" (as stated toward the end) as fraud (financial).
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/NEWS01/606290315/1009
Scientists are human too, so they are capable of human frailties. I think it'll mostly blow over although there'll be ocassional resurrection to show for certain that "scientists make things up" :D

Semantics; the fraud was that he used falsified data to get 5 million in research grants. He's the guy who promoted HRT for women, too.

"Millions of women have taken hormone therapy, only to learn in recent years that its health benefits were never proved and there were risks involved instead.

Now it turns out a key researcher who touted the benefits of hormone replacement is facing a five year jail term, reports CBS News Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson.

Dr. Eric Poehlman was renowned for his groundbreaking research on women and menopause. He theorized that menopause makes women lose muscle and gain fat, and causes health problems hormones could help fix.

His work was considered so significant it prompted doctors to prescribe hormones for years - a treatment now called into question because of its health risks. "

He's got a wiki page too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Poehlman

Semantics; the fraud was that he used falsified data to get 5 million in research grants.
I don't see it that way. The implication in the sentence
Poehlman is the first researcher to be sentenced to prison for falsifying data.
is that it was because the data were falsified, not that he obtained money through such falsification. I mean, falsifying data is criminal/ immoral/ undefendable but that's not why he was sentenced.
But regardless, send the guy down, he's done a disservice to science, society and himself. Not to mention the potential damage to the public's trust.

Back