Forget the church, follow the man

Grumpy

Curmudgeon of Lucidity
Valued Senior Member
Painstakingly removing those passages he thought reflected the actual teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, Jefferson literally cut and pasted them into a slimmer, different New Testament, and left behind the remnants. What did he edit out? He told us: “We must reduce our volume to the simple evangelists, select, even from them, the very words only of Jesus.” He removed what he felt were the “misconceptions” of Jesus’ followers, “expressing unintelligibly for others what they had not understood themselves.” And it wasn’t hard for him. He described the difference between the real Jesus and the evangelists’ embellishments as “diamonds” in a “dunghill,” glittering as “the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man.” Yes, he was calling vast parts of the Bible religious manure.
When we think of Jefferson as the great architect of the separation of church and state, this, perhaps, was what he meant by “church”: the purest, simplest, apolitical Christianity, purged of the agendas of those who had sought to use Jesus to advance their own power decades and centuries after Jesus’ death. If Jefferson’s greatest political legacy was the Declaration of Independence, this pure, precious moral teaching was his religious legacy. “I am a real Christian,” Jefferson insisted against the fundamentalists and clerics of his time. “That is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/04/01/andrew-sullivan-christianity-in-crisis.html

“I am a real Christian,” Jefferson insisted against the fundamentalists and clerics of his time. “That is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus.”

Andrew Sullivan is a practicing Catholic, I am an Atheist, Jefferson was at most a Deist, if not a full blown Atheist. Yet we have all three said much the same thing, IE being a Christian is to follow the philosophy of Jesus, not to follow church doctrine and dogma. I have been ridiculed for my posts on this subject by others in other threads, so when I saw this article by Andrew Sullivan I thought it might illuminate what I have been saying and contribute to a discussion of what it means to be a Christian, one not based on blind obediance to the church you have been indoctrinated into, or even a belief in any diety, but to come to an appreciation of moral wisdom through reason alone.

Must one be a believer in everything in the Bible to be able to be a Christian?
Can the good parts be seperated from the bad parts?
Must one believe in god in order to find wisdom in parts of the Bible?
Are there secular sources for what Jesus taught(both before or after his time)?
Can an Atheist be a good Christian?

Grumpy:cool:

I won't say it's an ignoble effort to strip Christianity down to the actual "good" parts, but it seems a rather useless one. If one is already able to see the fallacy of the faith, then one can also see that the "good" ideas are not exclusive to, nor particularly effectively professed by, the Nazarene. Once you're able to realize that morality is about the experience of conscious creatures--which you must if you're able to discern the "good" from the "bad" parts of Christianity--then Christ and his teachings are redundant.

He removed what he felt were the “misconceptions” of Jesus’ followers, “expressing unintelligibly for others what they had not understood themselves.”

Jesus even had to repeatedly tell his followers they were wrong, much like handling cranks on a science forum. Neither "follower" does the subject any good, and most likely do a good deal of harm. Just look at how cranks reinforce each other's ignorance.

JDawg

There is no such thing as redundant evidence. And Jesus's words are evidence, which when combined with evidence from other sources builds a solid framework for reasoned morals. Again, do not mistake the shaky edifice of the religion built around his words for the words themselves. Everything in the Bible was written long before Jesus was born(and are the Jewish religion)or several generations after he died. And the religion built around him was informed more by politics and power games than by Jesus's philosophy(as Andrew covers well in his article).

Yes.

At least, poetically yes.
(Rationally, an atheist could uphold the same ideals that a good Christian would uphold, though their beliefs would have a different root cause.)

I do believe the United church is based on the principle that Man cannot really follow God. That Jesus is the one to follow, as he is able to set a human example.

I will try to answer the questions you posed, as I seemed to have glossed over them in my previous post, which was more of a general (albeit accurate) explanation of my view on this matter.

It probably depends on how you define "believe," but I would say yes, one must believe each story in the Bible to have intrinsic value to the faith, even if one contends some stories are meant to be read as allegory.

Not according to Jesus.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)​

No, but since the wisdom within is not exclusive to it, the Bible becomes worthless.

Not only are there moral teachings prior to Jesus, but it is absurd to assume that society survived and even thrived without this supposedly-revolutionary wisdom.

No, because an atheist cannot be a Christian. If you're asking can an atheist live their life in a manner that Jesus would have approved, then yes. But what would be the point of defining oneself as Christian if the ideas are not derived from Christianity?

However, one cannot call themselves a Christian if they are following only what is included in Jefferson's Bible, because that is not Christianity.

JDawg

There is no such thing as redundant evidence.

Who said there was? The redundancy I'm referring to is the Bible (or rather parts of it) taught as moral philosophy when we already have better sources. Have you not considered that if one is able to differentiate the good from the bad in the Bible, one's moral basis must come from a place outside of the Bible's teachings?

And Jesus's words are evidence, which when combined with evidence from other sources builds a solid framework for reasoned morals.

No they don't. For one, you have to do a hatchet job on Jesus' teaching to get the good from the wholly immoral, so his teachings simply cannot be the basis for your own morality, if you are able to see the flaws in his. Secondly, his rationale for why we should do the good things is not at all compatible with our own. You and do not do good things so that we may enter the kingdom of heaven, we do them because we understand the morality is based on the experience of consciousness.

And what exactly are Jesus's words evidence of? I have a feeling you don't know what the word means...

Again, do not mistake the shaky edifice of the religion built around his words for the words themselves. Everything in the Bible was written long before Jesus was born(and are the Jewish religion)or several generations after he died. And the religion built around him was informed more by politics and power games than by Jesus's philosophy(as Andrew covers well in his article).

I'm not confusing anything. I've given you the words themselves, and you've arbitrarily (perhaps for your own political reasons?) dismissed them. You pick and choose which version of Jesus you want to believe, and then which words spoken by which version. The fact that you are able to do this renders Jesus unnecessary.

An excellent quote by CS Lewis, from his book Mere Christianity:

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: “I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.” That is the one thing we must not say. A man who said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

DaveC426913

I agree. Most of my childhood up until my middle teens was spent in an intense Christian atmosphere. I had to learn to "pass" from an early age(I've really never believed in god). But the intense study led me to the same conclusion Thomas Jefferson reached, that the Bible is largely a big pile of superstitious, supernatural poo, but there were a few diamonds to be found there if you can sift them out. There are even bits and pieces of actual historical data, unfortunately embellished with superstitious non-sense like a page in a mideval book.

But I do find wisdom in what Jesus said(as well as things I don't agree with, he was only human). And I have lived my life according to those teachings(along with the wisdom of others)as well as I could, not from fear of punishment, or fear I won't get a reward after I die(a ponzi scheme to get obedience in this life, by the way), nor because it makes me superior is some way or part of a chosen few. I have behaved this way because my reason tells me this is the way I should behave, a conviction of the rightness of the philosophy. Or, as Jefferson put it...

“the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man.”

High praise, indeed, from a man of whom it is said that never has greater intellect been in the White House as when Jefferson dined alone.

Not according to Jesus.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)​
No silly. "The LAW" here being, Moses' law, you know, the ten? But then, yeah, if you're an atheist, you don't believe in divinity. . . so you can pretty much make anything your god, right? Money, toys, sex, drugs, rock n roll, arguing on the internet? :p

Other than that, there isn't a whole lot else that is in "The Law" that any atheist might consider . . . separating out, is there? All Jefferson argued is that, as in the day of the Christ, it is the politically powerful in any religion that add commentary to any divine inspiration. So much more is heaped upon the words of the prophets than to what the prophets actually meant. In many instances, isn't it just a matter of interpretation?

I suppose, that is why Moses and Jesus are looked at as the most divine of them all. But to be absolutely fair, I haven't read them in their native language, and again, much gets unfairly interpreted with political bias, doesn't it? Likewise, I could never hope to render a judgement on the works of Mohamed, I'm sure most English translations are bias to one extreme or the other. But these prophets aren't venerated for nothing. JDawg your ego's desperate grasp to your world view I think prevents you from learning pearls of wisdom where they are free to you. Love and compassion are much more amiable companions than isolation and apathy.

"Don't blindly believe what I say. Don't believe me because others convince you of my words. Don't believe anything you see, read, or hear from others, whether of authority, religious teachers or texts. Don't rely on logic alone, nor speculation. Don't infer or be deceived by appearances."

"Do not give up your authority and follow blindly the will of others. This way will lead to only delusion."

"Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself give up the bad and embrace the good.
"

~ The Buddha

THIS is precisely the bullshit Jefferson was railing against. :p What a load of horseshit.

When asked directly if Jesus was god, did he EVER say he was? When asked if he was the son of god, did he ever confirm that he was? Nope, he just said we were all sons and daughters of the most high. Get off it.

No silly. "The LAW" here being, Moses' law, you know, the ten? But then, yeah, if you're an atheist, you don't believe in divinity. . . so you can pretty much make anything your god, right? Money, toys, sex, drugs, rock n roll, arguing on the internet? :p

But these laws are precisely the justification for the atrocities committed in the Old Testament, and Jesus endorses these atrocities by commanding that the old laws be upheld. There are plenty of other instances in which Jesus calls for similar injustices to be done, such as in Mark 7 when Jesus criticizes people for not killing the child that curses their father and mother.

Other than that, there isn't a whole lot else that is in "The Law" that any atheist might consider . . . separating out, is there? All Jefferson argued is that, as in the day of the Christ, it is the politically powerful in any religion that add commentary to any divine inspiration. So much more is heaped upon the words of the prophets than to what the prophets actually meant. In many instances, isn't it just a matter of interpretation?

While there is plenty of reason to believe that, there is no warrant to cherry-pick teachings from him that agree with our own morals. This is done based on our own understanding of morality, not the teachings of Jesus. Since Jesus actually teaches some horrendous things in the Bible, neglecting those in favor of those more gentle and kind is a distinction made entirely separate from whatever "framework" the scripture supposedly sets up for us, and thereby demonstrates the fallacy of the claim that we get our moral foundation from scripture.

Also, I'd say there is plenty in the law that any humanist would want to stay away from. The initial throat-clearing of the first four commandments, for example, are unintelligible in a secular sense. That honoring your mother and father is so vague, failing to take into account physical, mental, or sexual abuse, and punishable by death, is reason to seek better wisdom elsewhere. The ninth commandment's wording that one should not bear false witness "against" thy neighbor implies that bearing false witness for your neighbor might be permissible, and either way it's vagueness is irresponsible given the severity of punishment.

And, of course, the tenth commandment includes the wife with the chattel, which is about as damning a mark as a text can have when trying to claim divine authorship.

So, yes, there is plenty about the laws that one would want to distance himself or herself from.

I suppose, that is why Moses and Jesus are looked at as the most divine of them all. But to be absolutely fair, I haven't read them in their native language, and again, much gets unfairly interpreted with political bias, doesn't it? Likewise, I could never hope to render a judgement on the works of Mohamed, I'm sure most English translations are bias to one extreme or the other. But these prophets aren't venerated for nothing. JDawg your ego's desperate grasp to your world view I think prevents you from learning pearls of wisdom where they are free to you. Love and compassion are much more amiable companions than isolation and apathy.

It's interesting that the only commentary not allowed by those who have not read the texts in their original languages (an arbitrary and unnecessary requirement itself) is of a critical nature. We are apparently quite free to assume that the political influence on the texts is wholly negative, however, and that the bad stuff we read within is entirely due to this political influence, and not the intent of the authors.

:rolleyes:

THIS is precisely the bullshit Jefferson was railing against. :p What a load of horseshit.

When asked directly if Jesus was god, did he EVER say he was? When asked if he was the son of god, did he ever confirm that he was? Nope, he just said we were all sons and daughters of the most high. Get off it.

Jesus most certainly did claim to be the son of god, in both words and actions. By calling himself the "Son of Man," he referenced Daniel 7:

I saw in the night visions, and behold, One like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before Him. And dominion and glory was given Him, and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations and languages, should serve Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion which shall not pass away, and His kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.

He also answered in the affirmative when the charge was put to him directly:

And coming into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, Jesus asked His disciples, saying, Who do men say Me to be, the Son of Man? And they said, Some say, John the Baptist; some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. He said to them, But who do you say I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, You are the Christ, the Son of the living God. Jesus answered and said to him, You are blessed, Simon, son of Jonah, for flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but My Father in Heaven.

In John 8:5, he references the Old Testament's God's name for itself, "I AM" when asked if he is greater even than Abraham:

Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

These were not cryptic statements by any means, but accepted by those being spoken to to be affirmation of his status as the Christ.

But don't let your ignorance of scripture get in the way of your opinion...

Anyway, Lewis' argument is not reducible to whether or not Jesus actually said he was God (he never actually said he was just a man, nor just a prophet, either), but based on Jesus's teachings, which when taken as they are intended to be taken, cannot be read as great moral teachings, but only as the words of God or a madman. (Lewis added "Devil of Hell," but he was a devout Christian, so this non-sequitur can be excused. )

The Esotericist

if you're an atheist, you don't believe in divinity. . . so you can pretty much make anything your god, right? Money, toys, sex, drugs, rock n roll, arguing on the internet?

Actually, if you are an atheist you have no god, nor a need for a replacement for a god. You may have unhealthy preocupations(like the pursuit of money, no matter the consequences)but being an atheist only tells you one thing about anything else he thinks, and that is it does not include any god.

So much more is heaped upon the words of the prophets than to what the prophets actually meant. In many instances, isn't it just a matter of interpretation?

True that.

"Don't blindly believe what I say. Don't believe me because others convince you of my words. Don't believe anything you see, read, or hear from others, whether of authority, religious teachers or texts. Don't rely on logic alone, nor speculation. Don't infer or be deceived by appearances."

"Do not give up your authority and follow blindly the will of others. This way will lead to only delusion."

"Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself give up the bad and embrace the good."

~ The Buddha

One of the other wise men within who's words I have found wisdom. Though I rely more on logic than the above quote recommends.

JDawg

I find little that C. S. Lewis said to be wise, he was largely a religious apologist and promoter. The argument he presents is idiotic.

There is no such thing as redundant evidence. ”

Who said there was? The redundancy I'm referring to is the Bible (or rather parts of it) taught as moral philosophy when we already have better sources. Have you not considered that if one is able to differentiate the good from the bad in the Bible, one's moral basis must come from a place outside of the Bible's teachings?

As I said, if you would read my post...

There is no such thing as redundant evidence. And Jesus's words are evidence, which when combined with evidence from other sources builds a solid framework for reasoned morals.

There can be no such thing as too much evidence and Jesus provides such evidence. So does Buddha.

No they don't. For one, you have to do a hatchet job on Jesus' teaching to get the good from the wholly immoral, so his teachings simply cannot be the basis for your own morality, if you are able to see the flaws in his.

Yes, they do. But like any other man ever to exist, not everything Jesus said or was said to have said is wise. If you are looking for perfection you are doomed to have no source at all. Like Jefferson, it is our intellect that allows us to find the diamonds in the pile of crap. Your obvious hatred of everything that is in the Bible clouds your intellect from seeing the diamonds, you only see crap.

You and do not do good things so that we may enter the kingdom of heaven, we do them because we understand the morality is based on the experience of consciousness.

I do reject the rationale, but so did Jefferson. As I said, not everything Jesus said or was said to have said is wise.

And what exactly are Jesus's words evidence of? I have a feeling you don't know what the word means...

Again, your history of knowing what I know is abyssmal. I know exactly what I speak of. Stop the ad hom and start using the intellect you claim to have.

I'm not confusing anything. I've given you the words themselves, and you've arbitrarily (perhaps for your own political reasons?) dismissed them.

I use my intellect to separate what I think is wise from that I think is not. I keep that I consider wise and dump that I do not consider wise back onto the pile of crap.

"Find out for yourself what is truth, what is real. Discover that there are virtuous things and there are non-virtuous things. Once you have discovered for yourself give up the bad and embrace the good."

~ The Buddha

You pick and choose which version of Jesus you want to believe, and then which words spoken by which version. The fact that you are able to do this renders Jesus unnecessary.

No evidence is unnecessary. It is the accumulation of evidence that leads to being able to tell the difference between wisdom and crap. And Jesus certainly provides such evidence.

It probably depends on how you define "believe," but I would say yes, one must believe each story in the Bible to have intrinsic value to the faith

This is crap. I have said nothing about faith or belief, for I have neither. I reject those things for reason and discrimination. As did Jefferson. He is right and you are wrong.

Not according to Jesus.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

A blatant example of addition to the story for the political purposes of the religion. And, if not, not something I agree with, whoever said it. This didn't make it into Jefferson's Bible either.

Must one believe in god in order to find wisdom in parts of the Bible? ”

No, but since the wisdom within is not exclusive to it, the Bible becomes worthless.

More evidence is not worthless, whatever it's source. That is an idiotic statement , not an intellectual one. By this standard you can have no evidence from any source. Again your illogical and unreasonable bias is the opposite of wisdom.

Not only are there moral teachings prior to Jesus, but it is absurd to assume that society survived and even thrived without this supposedly-revolutionary wisdom.

No, because an atheist cannot be a Christian.

Garbage. One does not have to accept everything written in the Bible to follow the philosophy of Jesus. Jefferson was a Christian, but he was also a skeptic, so am I.

However, one cannot call themselves a Christian if they are following only what is included in Jefferson's Bible, because that is not Christianity.

A perfect illustration of your inability to differentiate between the philosophy of Jesus and the religion built around his story. One(the philosophy)can be followed without buying the BS(the religion)of the other. And the definition of Christian is a follower of Jesus, not a follower of the religion. And if you had bothered to read Andrew's article you would have read the exact same thing from a Catholic. The religion is one of the greatest sources of evil in history, the philosophy is not.

Follow the man, ignore the religion. Both Andrew and I agree with Jefferson.

...I have said nothing about faith or belief, for I have neither.

"...without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him."

"...by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

I find little that C. S. Lewis said to be wise, he was largely a religious apologist and promoter. The argument he presents is idiotic.

By all means, don't provide any sort of argument for why his argument is idiotic...:rolleyes:

I've already supported his argument in my previous post. If the whole of your argument is "This is idiotic" then I'll take that as your concession of the point.

There can be no such thing as too much evidence and Jesus provides such evidence. So does Buddha.

I ask again: Evidence for what?

(I will keep track of how many times you neglect to answer this question. We are currently at 1)

Yes, they do. But like any other man ever to exist, not everything Jesus said or was said to have said is wise. If you are looking for perfection you are doomed to have no source at all. Like Jefferson, it is our intellect that allows us to find the diamonds in the pile of crap. Your obvious hatred of everything that is in the Bible clouds your intellect from seeing the diamonds, you only see crap.

I have made my argument very clearly for why the good parts of the Bible can be thrown out with the bad, and none of it has to do with any sort of "hatred." This is an intellectual position, not an emotional one. I've never had a horse in this race. Quite unlike you, come to think of it.

Indeed, if we're going to make this personal, I would reckon that your insistence on attaching yourself to Jesus is fear of totally eschewing the faith. It was what you admittedly grew up around, so it stands to reason that your wholly irrational belief that Jesus was some great moralist is based on the connection it has with your childhood. To dismiss one is to break with the other, and you don't want to do that.

I do reject the rationale, but so did Jefferson. As I said, not everything Jesus said or was said to have said is wise.

You're intentionally obfuscating the matter, because you full well know that much of what he taught was not merely "unwise," but "entirely immoral." How can one be called a great moralist when so much of his teachings are not?

And the rationale is everything. How can we learn moral values if we don't agree with why something is done?

Again, your history of knowing what I know is abyssmal. I know exactly what I speak of. Stop the ad hom and start using the intellect you claim to have.

You've already used ad homine

EDIT: I'd love to know why some of my posts are being cut-off midway through. This post appeared as a whole early this morning, and now it is cut in half.

Last edited:
"...without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him."

"...by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

Oh, but didn't you know, Photizo? Grumpy arbitrarily decided that this isn't really what Jesus said!

:rolleyes:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/04/01/andrew-sullivan-christianity-in-crisis.html

“I am a real Christian,” Jefferson insisted against the fundamentalists and clerics of his time. “That is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus.”

Andrew Sullivan is a practicing Catholic, I am an Atheist, Jefferson was at most a Deist, if not a full blown Atheist. Yet we have all three said much the same thing, IE being a Christian is to follow the philosophy of Jesus, not to follow church doctrine and dogma. I have been ridiculed for my posts on this subject by others in other threads, so when I saw this article by Andrew Sullivan I thought it might illuminate what I have been saying and contribute to a discussion of what it means to be a Christian, one not based on blind obediance to the church you have been indoctrinated into, or even a belief in any diety, but to come to an appreciation of moral wisdom through reason alone.

One must believe in salvation via the atonement of the Messiah Jesus. There are a lot of people who have only been exposed to the very core message of Jesus and have believed and have been saved i believe. People are responsible for their own response to the Message that they have received. Some have received little. But if one receives a lot one is responsible for their response to a lot.

No.

No. But if one believes in God one will obtain more wisdom and if one believes God one will obtain more wisdom still.

Might be.

No. One has to be a Christian before striving to be a Christian.

"Good" Christian? Only God is Good. We are saved by believing not by being good.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Correct. Jesus taught that we all share the same divine relationship with god. This doesn't necessarily undermine his divinity though. It merely raises other to the potential level of the divine.

Photizo

You are assuming that I think the Bible is an authority, I don't. What it is is a collection of the writings of many diverse people and groups documenting what they believed. I don't think that what they believed is true. In fact I reject as ludicrous most of the faith statements to be found there. This thread is not about beliefs, it is about what can be found in the words of Jesus that makes sense to a rational person, in particular Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Sullivan and me.

Adstar

One must believe in salvation via the atonement of the Messiah Jesus.

I would point to my above response as being relivant to you as well. No, one does not have to buy the religious beliefs of the authors of the Gospels to see value in the words of Jesus. I reject your theology as superstitious non-sense while accepting the wisdom of the philosophy Jesus taught.

Can the good parts be seperated from the bad parts? ”

If you blindly believe that the Bible is the word of some god, you are correct, you're stuck with all of it. And how much did you get when you sold your daughter?
If you recognize that the Bible is a collection of diverse books written by many different fallible humans it is possible to reasonably reject the non-sense while recognizing the diamonds of wisdom.

Must one believe in god in order to find wisdom in parts of the Bible? ”

No. But if one believes in God one will obtain more wisdom and if one believes God one will obtain more wisdom still.

Just how does that work? If one who believes every word of the Bible is the Truth(TM) how does one apply logic and reason to it?

Are there secular sources for what Jesus taught(both before or after his time)? ”

Might be.

And you must apply reason and your own judgement to discerne that. It's just one more step to do the same with what is written in the Bible. Ignore the religion, follow the man.

No. One has to be a Christian before striving to be a Christian.

Sounds like some shady hucksterism to me, sort of like having to buy the whole pig when what you need is a ham sandwich. One does NOT have to be of the Christian religion to follow the philosophy of Jesus(the REAL definition of being a Christian by the way). In fact Jesus would not be a member of the Catholic church today(or any fundy church, either), he drove the money changers out of the Temple, according to the story(I don't know if the story is true, but it does fit with what he taught).

JDawg

Oh, but didn't you know, Photizo? Grumpy arbitrarily decided that this isn't really what Jesus said!

Nothing arbitrary about it. It is non-sense to believe in non existent gods. It does not make any difference if Jesus said it or if it was added to what Jesus said by the church for political purposes, it is non-sense.

By all means, don't provide any sort of argument for why his argument is idiotic

Just following your sterling examples. C. S. Lewis(whom I have read)is not worth my time to discuss, if you wish to discuss such drivel start a thread on the subject. Hope you like the sound of crickets.

There can be no such thing as too much evidence and Jesus provides such evidence. So does Buddha. ”

I ask again: Evidence for what?

Evidence of moral thought. Just like the prior examples of moral thought you think makes Jesus irrelivant(though no additional evidence is ever irrelivant to a thoughtful person). And Buddha provides additional evidence. In a search for reasonable morals no moral thought should be ignored simply because you have a prejudice against the source(and your prejudice is plain to see).

I have made my argument very clearly for why the good parts of the Bible can be thrown out with the bad, and none of it has to do with any sort of "hatred." This is an intellectual position, not an emotional one. I've never had a horse in this race. Quite unlike you, come to think of it.

No, you have made irrational statements that show only your hatred of the Bible. It is an emotional position, not a rational one. Maybe if you invested a little time studying all sorts of horses you would understand what the race is all about.

Indeed, if we're going to make this personal, I would reckon that your insistence on attaching yourself to Jesus is fear of totally eschewing the faith.

I have not attached myself to any source(we are only discussing one source among many I have studied), I take the good I find and reject all the rest. You can't do that because of your personal hatred of the source that blinds you to the pearls among the manure, you would trample them underfoot.

It was what you admittedly grew up around, so it stands to reason that your wholly irrational belief that Jesus was some great moralist is based on the connection it has with your childhood. To dismiss one is to break with the other, and you don't want to do that.

Jesus was a moral teacher, as was Buddha, as was Lenin, as was Isaac Asimov. Why would I throw the pearls I have found back into the pigsty? It took a good bit of mental effort to seperate them in the first place. While I started off within Christianity(not by my choice), I have moved on from that to other sources as well. And just like it is idiocy to buy into every word said in the Bible, it is also idiocy to reject it without reasoned consideration. Both are mindless and irrational.

You're intentionally obfuscating the matter, because you full well know that much of what he taught was not merely "unwise," but "entirely immoral." How can one be called a great moralist when so much of his teachings are not?
And the rationale is everything. How can we learn moral values if we don't agree with why something is done?

An argument I have often heard from fundamentalist theists. And I do not know that what Jesus taught was "entirely immoral." Once again you show you simply do not "know" what I think. You seperate the moral teaching from the religious non-sense by using your reason, you ought to try it sometimes. I find your position to be just as irrational and wrong as a full blown religious fundy.

Syne

Correct. Jesus taught that we all share the same divine relationship with god. This doesn't necessarily undermine his divinity though. It merely raises other to the potential level of the divine.

The whole concept of the "divine" is, in my opinion(can't prove it), superstitious non-sense. It leads you away from the wisdom into the woo of religious belief. Jesus did not claim to be a god, the religious edifice built around him is the source of that non-sense. And religion is not about morals, it is about control and power, control of others and power over them.

Back