Forget Norway, we have an insane guy to go free

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
After 10 years in a mental institute, the angel of death is set to go free. He killed 4 people with a car. He had violent tendencies in kinder garten, choked his sister at 12. Now the judge thinks he is ready for society:

http://www.aol.com/video/angel-of-d...=maing-grid7|main5|dl21|sec1_lnk1&pLid=201249

I dunno, if he were to move to my neighbourhood, I would make sure he wouldn't stay for long.... The question is, just who is going to take the blame, if he goes wild again???

Mental illness can be treated successfully.

I know. The question is again, if something shit happens (he misses his medication or whatever) and kills or hurts again, who is going to be blamed? The judge? The shrink? The system??

I know. The question is again, if something shit happens (he misses his medication or whatever) and kills or hurts again, who is going to be blamed? The judge? The shrink? The system??

I'm going to blame the ex-husband of his friend who tries some domestic violence and gets whacked in the head with a lawn mower blade.

The judge isn't releasing him, the clinical people are. They're saying he was mentally ill at the time but is now cured of his dangerousness.

The pervasive fear in the potential of a person to do harm is highly illogical. It's downright phobic. This is largely why US has one of the largest per capita incarceration rates in the world, and some of the toughest sentences.

A person who drinks and drives is potentially more dangerous than someone mentally ill who killed people. So is a soldier, prison guard or policeman with a gun and a license to kill. So are the people who allow toxins into the food, air, water and consumer products. And people who damage the environment. And people who text while driving. And so on.

Fearing harm from the mentally ill or the poor or anyone who looks scary or anyone with a record is one of the most twisted of phobias people drag around. It foments a perverted sense of justice, merely because the person "seems" dangerous. Judges and juries run with this logic all the time and throw the book at people who may either be actually innocent or not even aware of what they have done.

But that's how it works in the US, because justice is highly discretionary, as it is with fairness or the ability to connect cause and effect due this highly probabilistic notion we might call "dangerousness".

What is the probability that this person will re-offend? Answer: who knows, if not the medical personnel who evaluated him? Why try to second guess them? Ah: it's done out of a sense of righteous indignation. Which is what, if not sheer irrationality?

Answer: that's all it is.

The judge isn't releasing him, the clinical people are.

The judge is making the final decision, based on what the shrinks day. So it is eventually up to the judge...

The pervasive fear in the potential of a person to do harm is highly illogical.

When you apply for a new job, what do they judge you by? Your HISTORY, obviously....

What is the probability that this person will re-offend? Answer: who knows,

Exactly my point. But who has the higher chance of offending, a random person or someone with a violent history?

Why try to second guess them?.

Why? Because if he lives next door to me it is going to be MY life in danger, not yours or the judge's. Fucking DUH!!!!!

But you know what? I will be on your side. I am perfectly alright with Breivnik getting released in 10 years when he is first up for parole. Do you know why? Because him traveling to the US and hurting me is pretty much zero. But if he kills again some nice Norwegians, hey, so be it...

But who has the higher chance of offending, a random person or someone with a violent history?
Is a person who was cured of a disease more likely to get that disease again than somebody who never had it? Maybe, in some cases. In other cases, maybe not.

I do agree with the attorney, he seems to be mimicking the right things to say and act.

Back