For Cris and James R. question...

Gravage

Registered Senior Member
Since you are 2 most reasonable people on this religion board,I have a question:
I found on some website 2 days ago this text,I forgot the website,but I copied the text in my Microsoft word,please what are your opinions on this text-does this proof that God does exist,and how true is this new string theory-here it is:

"The fundamental particles of the universe that physicists have identified -- electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and so on -- are the "letters" of all matter. Just like their linguistic counterparts, they appear to have no further internal substructure. String theory proclaims otherwise. According to string theory, if we could examine these particles with even greater precision -- a precision many orders of magnitude beyond our present technological capacity -- we would find that each is not pointlike but instead consists of a tiny, one-dimensional loop. Like an infinitely thin rubber band, each particle contains a vibrating, oscillating, dancing filament that physicists have named a string.

In the figure at right,(umjesto slike dao sam na poèetku opisno sliku) we illustrate this essential idea of string theory by starting with an ordinary piece of matter, an apple, and repeatedly magnifying its structure to reveal its ingredients on ever smaller scales. String theory adds the new microscopic layer of a vibrating loop to the previously known progression from atoms through protons, neutrons, electrons, and quarks.
String theory thereby unravels the central Gordian knot of contemporary theoretical physics. This is a tremendous achievement, but it is only part of the reason string theory has generated such excitement.
Einstein was simply ahead of his time. More than half a century later, his dream of a unified theory has become the Holy Grail of modern physics. And a sizeable part of the physics and mathematics community is becoming increasingly convinced that string theory may provide the answer. From one principle -- that everything at its most microscopic level consists of combinations of vibrating strands -- string theory provides a single explanatory framework capable of encompassing all forces and all matter.
STRING THEORY PRESENT, FOR INSTANCE THAT THE OVSERVED PARTICLE PROPERTIES -THAT IS, ZHE DIFFERENT MASSES AND OTHER PROPERTIES OF BOTH THE FUNDAMENTAL PARTICLES ARE A REFLECTION OF THE VARIOUS WAYS IN WHICH A STRING CAN VIBRATE. Just as the strings on a violin or on a piano have resonant frequencies at which they prefer to vibrate -- patterns that our ears sense as various MUSICAL NOTES AND THEIR HIGHER HARMONICS- the same holds true for the loops of string theory. But rather than producing musical notes, each of the preferred mass and force charges are determined by the string's oscillatory pattern. THE ELEKTRON IS A STRING VIBRATING ONE WAY, THE UP-QUARK IS A STRNG VIBRATING ANOTHER WAY, AND SO ON...
Far from being a collection of chaotic experimental facts, particle properties in string theory are the manifestation of one and the same physical feature: the resonant patterns of vibration -- the music, so to speak -- of fundamental loops of string. The same idea applieString theory proclaims, for instance, that the observed particle properties -- that is, the different masses and other properties of both the fundamental particles and the force particles associated with the four forces of nature (the strong and weak nuclear forces, electromagnetism, and gravity) -- are a reflection ofs to the forces of nature as well. Force particles are also associated with particular patterns of string vibration and hence everything, all matter and all forces, is unified under the same rubric of microscopic string oscillations -- the "notes" that strings can play.
Almost everyone agrees that finding the T.O.E. would in no way mean that psychology, biology, geology, chemistry, or even physics had been solved or in some sense subsumed. The universe is such a wonderfully rich and complex place that the discovery of the ugh in scale, string theorists say, you'll find tiny, vibrating loops of string."

What do you think?

Gravage,

Nobody knows how true string theory is yet, because it is very difficult to test, or even make testable predictions with it. No doubt that will come in time.

I am interested in whether you think this points to the existence of god, and, if so, why you think it might. I don't see any necessary connection, myself.

Hail,James!

Originally posted by James R
Gravage,

Nobody knows how true string theory is yet, because it is very difficult to test, or even make testable predictions with it. No doubt that will come in time.

I am interested in whether you think this points to the existence of god, and, if so, why you think it might. I don't see any necessary connection, myself.

No,no,no.I 'm actually one of the strong atheists.I say,and I'm sure that God doesn't exist.Further science evolves,there less place for fantasy gods and spells of the universe.I don't know how far from Earth with telescopes we see today and how we will see in the near future,but what I know and I'm sure of is that there will be no sign of God,it's all really nature.Nature is the cause to itself.Only 2 things are truly eternal without a beginning and without an end:nature and energy.I couldn't tell this for matter,time and space,because I'm simply not sure.Have you ever had near-death experiences?My friend had.But he never felt God,or was out of his body,like other 8 million Americans were.He never saw anything.What he saw are memories from his life from childhood to these present days.He was 3 days in coma,and he didn't see God,or feel the presence of other supernaturals,or flied over his body thru medical rooms.If he had those near-death experiences,and he did have them only without God,ghosts and etc,how to explain such a thing?Easily.There are even atheists who also had such experiences,so I had some reasearch.Since there are atheists who both had near-death experiences and felt the presence of God,when they were clinically dead,I wanted to find out how and why?I found the missing,common link between these atheists.Weak atheists wanto to have someone to care about them,they really want God to be existent subconsciously,which was the product.They really didn't know if God exists or not,but however they wanted to.Those who have never been taught that exists,but those who have doubts about that does God exist or not ,have actually need for God.That's why they "felt" God.Strong atheists,as far as I know,have never had such difficulties,they were only been on places where they wanted to be have a peace-my friend is one of them.

I believe in God and I believe in science. In science we are trying to find a theory of everything, in spirituality, we are finding unity. They are two different ways of approaching the same thing we called life.

String theory is certainly an interesting field these days, but they have a lot of kinks to work out :) There's actually 5 different string theories, no one knows which is the 'right one', although combining the 5 in one theory called M-Theory is looking promising. Of course, it doesn't help that to isolate such a string and observe it would take a particle accelerator bigger than our entire galaxy. I suspect it'll be some time before science gets an understanding of String Theory, and the 16 or more dimensions that come with it. Nevertheless it's one of the most interesting fields in physics today, which is why I've been paying so much attention to it ;)

Back