Food Banks

Ted Grant II

Registered Senior Member
A few weeks ago, I thought it would be nice to donate to a food bank, but as I don't want to support any religious organizations, I went online and searched for "Secular Food Banks".

I got several hits, but on delving deeper into the first handful, they were all either run by religious organizations or relied on their support. I also noticed that they were supported by the Lottery and various local authorities.
They were all had mission statements that included some reference to Jesus and "Christian Values".

I selected one called "HOPE" and visited their building. There was a guy in charge who used his own car to collect food donations from several local supermarkets. He was very friendly and showed me around. There was a large room with several women making up food packs, picking from a vast array of shelving. I asked a few questions. They feed about 100 families, who have to get vouchers from other organizations in order to qualify.
In another room I met a few of the other staff. On the wall was a huge poster showing Jesus on the cross.
In large letters under the cross, it said, "Jesus died to give you HOPE ! "

I told them I would like to donate, but not for any religious reason.
They said they were happy to take donations from anybody, religious or not.
I walked out and sat by a river, watching the white foam dancing in the sun.
A cloud moved across the sun, the river darkened and I felt a chill in the air.
Was it a sign ?

I went back to the building and gave the guy £20.
He was very pleased and offered to give me a receipt.
I declined and said the reason I donated was because I am a kind person.
I don't expect a reward, either now or when I'm dead.
So, God, if you exist, please ignore my donation.

I always refuse receipts for donations.
If I wanted to make money off my action, I wouldn't be donating it in the first place.

Back