fluoride and the nervous system

matthew809

Registered Senior Member
I recently switched from fluoride toothpaste to non-fluoride toothpaste(about a year ago). Within the past couple of months I've experienced a few tooth problems and I had to go visit a dentist. I actually haven't been to a dentist in more than 10 years, and I haven't once had any dental issues- until now. The dentist actually told me I had excellent teeth overall, with no cavities or decay, and I was one of the lucky ones.

It turns out that I grind my teeth at night on my left side, pretty severely. I've been doing it for many years but never noticed. He showed me the marks in my teeth due to grinding, which I remember having for a long time- yet I never had any pain until recently. I also remember a few of my teeth in the grinding zone being wobbly- yet I never had any pain until a couple of months ago.

So anyway, my teeth only recently became sensitive due to the grinding. Also, I have a chipped wisdom tooth that never gave me any trouble- until recently. It's been chipped for a very long time. Just last week it became extremely sensitive(I'm getting it removed today).

I believe that the removal of fluoride from my body is what caused the sudden sensitivity. I understand the mainstream position- that the fluoride bonds with the teeth which increases the protective layer, thereby decreasing sensitivity. But I also hear the alternative position- fluoride is a very bio-reactive toxic chemical which reeks havoc to your organ function and nervous system.

So I was wondering, is it possible that my previous constant fluoride exposure was deadening the nerves in my mouth and leaving me ignorant of the effects of grinding my teeth? Is the stifling effect of fluoride on the mouth nerves what really decreases dental sensitivity?

Is the stifling effect of fluoride on the mouth nerves what really decreases dental sensitivity?

The fluroide doesn't work on the nerve but does work on the tooth enamal to prevent decay. That means you shouldn't have any problems with the sensitivity at all.

From WIKI:

Fluoridated water operates on tooth surfaces: in the mouth it creates low levels of fluoride in saliva, which reduces the rate at which tooth enamel demineralizes and increases the rate at which it remineralizes in the early stages of cavities

Back