fish with arthropod-like "legs"?

Buckaroo Banzai

Mentat
Registered Senior Member
Does anyone knows a fish that looks like it has arthropod-like legs?

The legs are actually long rays of the pectoral fins, free of membrane between them.

I'm almost certain that I saw on TV once a fish that was like this, and I found some somewhat similar, but not yet quite what I recall seeing.

The similar fishes I found on the internet are:

sea robin/red gurnard(Chelidonichthys spinosus) (click to see a picture)

Which is somewhat like what I have in mind, although with shorter "legs".

But this fish is related to this other one:

Flying gurnard (Dactyloptena orientalis)

Which has a wider "wingspan", also "waks" on the bottom of the water, but the fins with the largest span are not free of membranes.

What I had in mind would have more or less (perhaps a bit less) the ray span of the latter, but free of membrane, like the first one.

It was somewhat shocking when I saw it on TV, looked like a bizarre chimera, a mixture of a scorpion fish and a spider crab, or at least a decorator crab which took a dead scorpion fish as a covering.

However, perhaps it was just the first one in a different angle or close up, and the shock effect plus the time past (I saw it last year or earlier) made me create false memories... but could be that something like it actually exists.... I looked in all scorpioniformes on the wikipedia and searched for more pictures, but found none looking like this "crosbreed" between these two.

(I do not remember in which program I saw it, but I´m pretty sure it wasn't in one of those with fictitious animals)

humm.... definitely not...

i think that it is likely the red gurnard...... or something close, in the way I said....

If my memories are correct and I´m not distorting the animal, but there is not another species that fits exactly what I described, perhaps the movie I saw was taken of an individual within a specific age range, in which it could have longer "legs" due to allometric growth/heterochrony...

Last edited:
Is it the spotted handfish?

%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09large-Spotted-handfish.jpg

samcdkey said:
Is it the spotted handfish?

%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09large-Spotted-handfish.jpg

:eek: wasn't this one, but this is surely as impressive or even more!

One of the other ones you posted is some larval form of a salamander-like animal, and the other is probably a red gurnard or something very closely related.

http://www.dinofish.com/

Virtually unique in the animal kingdom, with a saga steeped in science and popular imagination, the fabulous Coelacanth ("see-la-kanth"), that 400 million year old "living fossil" fish, paddles on. Pre-dating the dinosaurs by millions of years and once thought to have gone extinct with them, 65 million years ago, the Coelacanth with its "missing link" "proto legs" was "discovered" alive and well in 1938! At least three people have perished in the quest for the coelacanth, and possibly several others.

Hypsagonus proboscidalis?
atumori3.jpg

(Lots of weird fish on this page: Scorpaeniformes - maybe there's somehere that weren't on Wikipedia?)

Back