First visible sign of human life in the womb?

John99

Banned
Banned
Hello everyone.

What I am looking for here is just what the title says. First visible sign that a human is forming in the womb.

So far I have learned:

23 chromosomes of the father join with 23 chromosomes of the mother to form a unique, 46-chromosomed individual, with a gender, who had previously not existed.

Fine, but what does it look like soon after? How small is it?

Period of Cleavage—1st week

Zygote>1st Cleavage>Morula>Blastocyst>Implantation

Embryonic Stage—2nd week through 8th week

Primary Germ Layers—responsible for forming all body organs

What does 'Period of Cleavage' mean?

Oh yeah, most importantly, can this very first formation be attributed to any other part of the body after it is fully formed? OR is it a representation of the whole form and NOT precursor to any specific body part?

Thanks.

NOTE: This is strictly a biological discussion.

Last edited:
What I am looking for here is just what the title says. First visible sign that a human is forming in the womb. Fine, but what does it look like soon after? How small is it?
Its one single cell, dude! It's only visible under a high-powered microscope and to a layman it wouldn't look any different from any other animal cell, including a one-celled animal, the amoeba.

The human embryo is a powerful illustration of evolution. Starting out as a one-celled organism, it takes the form of many of the lower phyla of animals and eventually the lower classes and orders of vertebrata. I've seen time-lapse photos of embryos, the series should not be hard to find. At one point it looks kind of like a fish, right down to the gills. Then it starts to grow legs the way baby frogs do after hatching. Eventually it becomes recognizably mammalian but clearly has a tail, finally it becomes apelike.

A human baby in the uterus passes through the complete process of the evolution of Homo sapiens, in just nine months.
What does 'Period of Cleavage' mean?
I think that just means the few days during which the zygote (single cell) divides into more than one cell and becomes a fetus.
Oh yeah, most importantly, can this very first formation be attributed to any other part of the body after it is fully formed? OR is it a representation of the whole form and NOT precursor to any specific body part?
It is exactly one human ovum with one very tiny (by comparison) human spermatozoa assimilated into it. The ovum is the part of the body which it resembles precisely! After it splits into multiple cells, they are still undifferentiated. It takes quite a while (I don't know how many days or how many cells) before it starts to specialize into muscle, blood, skin, etc.
NOTE: This is strictly a biological discussion.
Well I don't think anyone would mistake it for math, politics, or art & literature!

Thanks.

Are you sure there is only a single cell?

http://zfin.org/zf_info/zfbook/stages/cleave.html

Blastomere

In humans, blastomere formation begins immediately following fertilization and continues through the first week of embryonic development. About 30 hours after fertilization, the egg divides into two cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blastomere

I put that note there to avoid any suspicion of alterior motives, given the nature of the question. To avoid a flame war.

A human baby in the uterus passes through the complete process of the evolution of Homo sapiens, in just nine months.

oh, too late.:D

At conception:

fovum.gif

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_fetu.htm

Interesting SAM.

Your link states:

It can reproduce itself through twinning at any time up to about 14 days after conception; this is how identical twins are caused.

I didn't know there was a 14 day window of oppertunity\time frame...AMAZING.

Relative to twinning, wonder why IVF cause an unusually high instance of multiple births?

the prevalence of fertility enhancing drugs and invitro fertilization treatments (IVF). In the United States, approximately 56 per cent :eek:of births that result from infertility treatments are multiples.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/infertility_multiples.html

Last edited:

Wrong.
A hoax perpetrated by one Ernst Haeckel. "Ontongeny recapitulates phylogeny" being the relevant phrase if I recall correctly.
Haeckel's fetuses do not actually look like real fetuses. He exaggerates. Badly.

I think it's not plain wrong or right.

Definitely it is not strictly right - such as, the "gills" on the embryos are not functional gills, but only the starting structures from which functional gills on fishes develop. Ontogeny does not recapitulates phylogeny, but often looks somewhat as if it does because lots of the differences between species were determined at a reasonably late stage of development, because of both viability of development and maintenance of adaptation.

But, for instance, butterflies are not closer ancestors of some worm-like, catterpilar-like invertebrate pre-arthropod than any other insect, they just had this developmental stage stretched, which turned out to be both viable and adaptive.

Likewise, out unicellular stage probably has not much to do with ancestry of primitive unicellular organisms, but with the fact that the new organism has to "start" somewhere, and we are not able to start from, say, the detachment of an arm or a piece of flash, like some organisms do (planarias, among others). These organisms are somewhat intermediate between unicellular and us, but we do not reproduce like them. The origin of twins has some resemblance with that, however, but yet much more akin to the physical disruption of a colony of unicellular organisms in two viable colonies.

The development of arteries, limb and tail buds that start to develop only to degenerate later, these are quite impressive evolutionary remains of the past evolutionary history preserved on the development, however.

Haeckel has some detractors and defenders, I'm just not enough informed to take a stand. I think that it can be from plain falsification from some legitimate mistake, somewhat like orthogenetic evolution ideas on the early 20th century, from small samples of fossils, before the evidence for a branching evolution. I have no idea on how hard or easy is or was to draw the embryos and etc.

It's necessary to keep in mind, however, that "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny" is not strictly correct, and this is not a sort of "requirement" for scientific mainstream's (i.e. "darwinian") evolution. Darwin was pointing to embryological evidences already in his 1842's sketch (which already has the essence of common ancestry, natural selection, allopatric speciation and so forth), different from those of Haeckel, without the assumption or implication that ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.

About the topic itself:

That's a somewhat tricky issue. You can have a cell or a group of undifferentiated or even somewhat differentiated cells, with all the 46 chromossomes unique to its own, but which wouldn't ever develop into a human, even though it's all human tissue and genes, even a karyotypic/genetic gender.

Sometimes, the egg starts developing by itself, without fecondation (it will make another copy of its 23 chromosomes, ending with a karyotypically normal human zigote), but the resulting organism is always inviable, in the case of humans and other mammals, as far as scientists know.

It will have many specialized tissues with some degree of organization, even thumbnails and nervous tissue, but not organized enough to continue living. I recall reading that the level organization may increase if the development of one of these occurs simultaneously with the one of a normal zygote, at the point to be possible of be mistakenly identified as a genuine twin in the ultrasound (presumably, at earlier stages anyway). It still won't develop into anything viable, however. The nearest thing would be a chimaera, that is, if it fuses with a normal developing embryo and develop as one, kind of the contrary of what happens with identical twins. There is at least one case of a partial parthenogenic (developed from an unfertilized egg) human chimaera in the medical literature, if I recall.

They've managed to produce a rat or a mice from this sort of reproduction, anyway, without the aid of a normal embryo to create a chimera.

Unique human life, in a certain way, is already present in the gametes, since the gametes are living cells, genetically unique, and humans (in the case of human gametes).

Last edited:
Thank you Nexus!!! Additionally, that claim is no longer made in most biology classes because it is inconclusive

Clevage refers to cell division. The fertilized egg divdes after aprox. 24hours, but remains the same size as the original egg for quite some time. An egg cell, the lagest human cell is about the size of a period or the dot of an "i". The cell continues to clone itself until there are thousands or millions of cell. At this point they begin to differentiate- some become heart cells others brain cells, etc. But it is important to remember that all the cells contain the same information (barring mutation)- that is all cells have the same DNA, but they don't all have the same genes activated. We still don't know how cells know "what to be", or were to go, but somehow they do. If you can get your hands on it, there's a cool movie (PBS/Nova) called "Miracle of Life". It shows everything (literally) and explains it.

Interesting SAM.

Relative to twinning, wonder why IVF cause an unusually high instance of multiple births?

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/infertility_multiples.html

That's because it's also prone to result in a large number of abortions. What they do, in order to guarantee at least one baby, is go for high numbers, they create a bunch of embryos and put a few ones at a time, and luckily at least one of them will survive and develop. More often than in normal pregnancies, more than one does.

If it also counts for identical twins, which I don't know, perhaps the manipulation accidentaly make the embryos more prone to divide, as if the manipulation caused somewhat of a tiny crack on them, I don't know.

We still don't know how cells know "what to be", or were to go, but somehow they do.

Developmental biologists studies that. It's not that unknown. Basically, a cell has its non-genetic products. Then eventually the cell reproduces, and the "daughter" cell inherits some of the products of the "mother" cell, giving it a different "start point" than its mother cell. These products signal different levels of genetic activation, making the daughter cell produce other things than its mother, and so on.

Sometimes it happens at a level of tissues or groups of cells, since they communicate, exchange chemicals between each other. As the products are finite, they reach only to a certain range, thus the genetic expression of these cells is different from those of the "center" or outer areas, areas out of the range of these products. And with variations of this scheme, complex differentiation arises.

but that is after the "mother" cell has already been determined as a specific cell type. I'm thinking more along the lines of 'this end is the head, so I must be a neuron'.-directionality and function.

Back