First baby with fully sequenced genome is born

Challenger78

Valued Senior Member
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/527936/for-one-baby-life-begins-with-genome-revealed/
An infant delivered last week in California appears to be the first healthy person ever born in the U.S. with his entire genetic makeup deciphered in advance.

First off, boilerplate disclaimer; I'm no expert in biology or science. This also may be suited in the ethics forum.
But what does the ability to completely map the genome mean?

Can a parent now be aware of all the possibilities inherent in their child's DNA before they are born ?
Will this be allowed to influence the decision regarding whether to abort the child?

Gathering such information on fetuses in utero is even more controversial. That is because discovery of a bad mutation could lead parents to an “irrevocable action” such as an abortion, says Bianchi. Yet DNA isn’t always destiny—sometimes a person has a genetic defect but no symptoms.

And the alarmist in me is wary of a Gattaca esque future where even minor genetic anomalies are corrected before birth. I think most people would prefer to be able to correct life-crippling disabilities before they manifest, but equally, there may be a small subset of people looking to screen for desirable traits according to their own standards.

If the ability to sequence and correct genomes is available, and opened to market forces, would that not reinforce existing inequities in terms of physical health and economic situations?

Those with allot of money will be the only ones to get this type of procedure leaving the rest of humanity behind.

Back