Fight, Or Flight

R1D2

many leagues under the sea.
Valued Senior Member
Besides training. How can you control the fight or flight "effect"?
I know there are medicines you can take. But I mean besides that. Vitamins, meditation. Anything useful?
How is this any good for or to us?

You've got to control the fear of death. I think is part of the reptilian brain or something, but yeah. It's also probably genetic, so there might be nothing you can do about it. Maybe you scare easily?

Training, the only way I know of to control the fight, flight or freeze (it's actually 3 options not 2) is to make the body feel like your in control and your cerebral cortex can control this situation rather than the body going for the panic button

The only other ways are various medications like diazapram or beta blockers, apart from emergency services and millatry you most see this kind of work with suffers of panic disorders because that is what a panic atack is, an uncontrolled fear response (sympathetic activation, fight freeze flee etc)

I don't think I scare easily. But when someone spooks me I swing a fist. I have had anxiety attacks before. And was told it was like sensory overload. And connected with the flight/fight effect. That last part I didn't fully believe.

Ah ok thanks Asguard. I stand corrected. Fight, Flight, or Freeze. Big nasty 3 they will either help you or kill you!

Ah ok thanks Asguard. I stand corrected. Fight, Flight, or Freeze. Big nasty 3 they will either help you or kill you!

I'd say doing some quick thinking before you act is the best policy. Example, the police are coming your way, you don't know why, but you have a warrant. Do you panic and run or do you act unconcerned like any normal non guilty citizen should act?

I know there are medicines you can take. But I mean besides that. Vitamins, meditation. Anything useful?
The fight or flight response is a natural one. Why would you take any medication for it?
By the way, it's also called the "Fight, flight or freeze response". Where does that leave you with your medication?

Hey Enmos,
In the posts above I was informed that there are 3. Freeze, fight, or flee. And if you had anxiety attacks. Which I'm told is like sensory overload and a part of the 3 F's you wonder if you will have another one. If you have them now they could give ya medicine to help control those attacks. That's why you would take medication but you will still have some degree of the 3 F's..

I'd say doing some quick thinking before you act is the best policy. Example, the police are coming your way, you don't know why, but you have a warrant. Do you panic and run or do you act unconcerned like any normal non guilty citizen should act?

Acting smart, and doing some quick thinking. There are still "tell-tales" you did something wrong. And they usually tell you what the warrants for. If you have nothing to fear. Don't. But if you do playing dumb, in a smart way helps a little. Cops seems to always win eventually.

Watch Cesar Millan dog training shows (on tv or Youtube).
Then train yourself on dogs, starting with the small and not so dangerous (albeit aggressive) ones.
The goal is to walk past a barking dog without yelling at the dog, without running away, without getting upset or angry, and without idiot niceness.

Assessing the situation is the first thing that your mind must do. Depending upon many factors that you are surrounded with will determine which of the 3 things you will do. If you are already a 10th degree black belt and are confronted by an unarmed person trying to steal your money I'd think that you'd know what to do. Of course there are millions of things that would make different decisions that you'd make but if your already prepared in some way then you are already ready. My mind works rather slow so whenever I'm confronted with anything out of the ordinary I try to think it through as quick as I can. As an example I've already taken first aid life saving methods and know basic things about saving a life so when that happened to me a few times I used my knowledge to save peoples lives.

I'd say doing some quick thinking before you act is the best policy.
But that's exactly the problem. That part of the brain is completely overridden by the lower, instinctive part. It is not given the opportunity to vote.

This is just an educated guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if martial arts training would make a world of difference. It deals specifically with those fractions of a second in which you have to make a reflex decision, and through repetition it teaches you to modify your reflexes.

Example, the police are coming your way, you don't know why, but you have a warrant. Do you panic and run or do you act unconcerned like any normal non guilty citizen should act?
That's exactly my point. If the concept of panic is anywhere in your conscious brain at this moment, it will overwhelm any other brain activity and you will fight, flee or freeze. You're not given the choice. This is your inner animal speaking!

We aviculturists see the sad results of this phenomenon all the time. If a bird is startled, it doesn't stop to think about what to do. The hindbrain instantly sends a signal to a reflex center in the shoulders, and the wings start flapping automatically. Evolution has decided that the safest thing to do in an emergency is to fly away, and the direction doesn't even matter. A bird that has spent his entire life inside a house or perhaps riding on someone's shoulder at ground level suddenly finds himself two blocks away from his home, with absolutely no idea how he got there or how to get back.

This is why bird owners must do one of two things:
  • 1. Keep your bird's flight feathers trimmed. Leave them a little long on one side only so that if he falls he can use his wing to break the fall and spiral safely to the ground, but he can't fly in a straight line.
  • 2. Take him outside and give him practice flying, so he recognizes his own space from the air.
The fight/fight/freeze instinct is just as powerful in humans, and it can lead to equally horrible disasters. Fortunately with our larger forebrains we have more ability to negotiate with our instincts than birds do.

If you happen to be one of the people whose fight/flight/freeze instinct is more powerful than the average human, then please don't wait for that disaster to occur. Talk to some experts and start fixing it! If not martial arts, then maybe some other sport. Or perhaps ten years of psychotherapy. Or maybe some really good drugs. ;)

If you have a good idea how you will respond in a given situation. You can do some planning to change how you will respond. When I'm watching TV it always amazes me how people will stand frozen with a car bearing down on them, when they do have time to get out of the way. Or what about one person in a group gets shot and everybody else freezes in disbelief giving the shooter a great second or third shot.

In any event I'm real sure I wouldn't respond that way.

Thank you F.R. for your post. Very "insightful". And I think it helps make my point.

I hear ya, mine was sketchy even before I discovered caffeine, lol.

I don't really want to fix it, it's useful for, say, lifting heavy things XD.

Back