Fetal Endangerment

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
So, should a bartender be allowed to call the cops on a pregnant Mom who is drinking?

HAMPSTEAD, N.H. -- Police are charging a 22-year-old Hampstead woman with endangering the life of her unborn child for allegedly injecting heroin while 20 weeks pregnant.

If convicted, Nina Doane faces up to a year in jail with court-ordered counseling and up to a $2,000 fine.

Albert Frost, 28, who lives at the same address, is charged with the same crime for allegedly injecting Doane.

Police are not releasing any details.

County Attorney James Reams said the case could be a first for Rockingham County. Reams said similar prosecutions are becoming more common around the country.

YES by all means

and her children should be given to husband or the state

and she should be jailed

So, should a bartender be allowed to call the cops on a pregnant Mom who is drinking?

Why is he serving her anything to begin with? If he knows she is pregnant

then why is he giving her alcohol? I do think though that you can have a

drink or two when you are with child without harming the unborn fetus but

I'm not certain of exactly how much a woman can have without endangering

the fetus. I'd say just not serve the woman .

If you're going to be consistent, yes. But our society has a rather distorted view of alcohol vs. other drugs. Alcohol will cause more damage to a fetus than heroin. The biggest problem with the latter is that the child can become addicted in the womb and have to go through withdrawl--I'm sure it's a very painful experience for the child but doesn't have anything like the lasting effects of fetal alcohol syndrome.

The year in jail and fine seem to be an absurd penalty. If anything, the woman needs court-ordered treatment that will help her get sober long enough to have the child. Oddly enough though the most common treatments for heroin, methadone or buprinorphine maintenance, will cause the same withdrawl effect for the child once it's born that heroin will. But if she's on them she won't run the risk of OD or using drugs that contain contaminents.

Why is he serving her anything to begin with? If he knows she is pregnant then why is he giving her alcohol? I do think though that you can have a drink or two when you are with child without harming the unborn fetus but I'm not certain of exactly how much a woman can have without endangering the fetus. I'd say just not serve the woman .

Because the waitress takes her order, the bartender makes the drink. No one notices she's pregnant til she gets up to go to the bathroom.
Does he then call?

So if the bartender calls, can they arrest her? Drinking isn't illegal, but heroin is.

Back