Female dogs growling

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
I have noticed an interesting thing while walking the dog. When 2 dogs are playing with each other, it is almost always the female who growls (playfully) or makes any other kind of noises.

Now my statistical sample is not big enough but it was something like 5 to 1 for the females.

Let's suppose it is a valid observation, how come?

I have noticed an interesting thing while walking the dog. When 2 dogs are playing with each other, it is almost always the female who growls (playfully) or makes any other kind of noises.

Now my statistical sample is not big enough but it was something like 5 to 1 for the females.

M*W: I understand what you are saying. I had two female Retrievers. They got along great. They were the greatest of friends. One of them got hit by a car and died. My older dog grieved for her. It was very sad. Shortly before she died, however, I got a puppy (or rather inherited it), and he is very hyperactive. I've been noticing that Duke tries to play with Duchess, but she ends up growling loudly and biting him. She's about 7 years old, and he is less than 6 months. I think she just doesn't want to put up with his bs. He ends up screaming and running to me, but he's the culprit! My Duchess is such a tame, polite dog (and four times bigger than Duke). They bark at cats, but they lick everybody that comes to the door! That's real "security!"

They really don't get out. Duchy knows when to come home, but Dukie doesn't understand and follows her out the gate.

He sleeps with me under the covers, and keeps my feet warm. Duchy is about 100 lbs., and has her own room.

Some people don't understand how I feel about my doggies, but I guess that's none of their business.

I think it's interesting that you've noticed the female growling. Duchy does that also. She's the alpha dog in my house, but Dukie hasn't learned that yet. Ironically, they look exactly alike from different generations of random litters. They are short hair blondes with a black snout and cute floppy ears. Duchy is elegant and poised. Dukie is a blonde tornado with sharp teeth.

I'd like to know more about your scientific study.

~ M*W

We breed dogs. We notice that females--even neutered--compete with each other and even with the smaller or less dominant males. A spayed female once sneaked into a kennel and killed two of another female's puppies. My wife shipped one of our females to my out-of-town studio, because she'd been "voted off the island" by all the other dogs. She was constantly jumping on them and it got to the point that only the toughest males would walk into a room if she was there. I have a sweet little male here who is so not an alpha that we call him an epsilon--if you remember "Brave New World." About once every three months she beats him up just to stay in practice. She doesn't actually hurt him so he thinks it's all just a family ritual: "Oh, here she is pinning me to the floor, gosh is it July already?"

Among the males it's only the ones with the alpha instinct, and/or the intact ones, who compete.

And that's very often ritual combat. We had two males who would stand on opposite sides of a glass door and jump and snarl at it like Siamese fighting fish, making the whole room shake. But if we had to open the door and leave them staring face to face, they'd sit down a little awkwardly and start making small talk about football and the stock market. Then as soon as the door was closed they'd spring back into action, yelling, "If it weren't for this damn glass, I'd rip your throat out!"

Humans have been interfering with the natural breeding of dogs for more than ten thousand years. We breed dogs who have a natural herding instinct, or the ability to exterminate vermin, or catch frisbees or just cuddle up on our pillows. The alpha instinct is not at all valued by humans because we want these dogs to be unquestioningly subservient to us. As a result I think the alpha behaviors have been diluted over time and show up in odd and mild ways.

Our Lhasa Apsos are a rare exception. They were bred to be temple watch dogs, just sit around on their own recognizance, without a lot of supervision, and actually challenge human intruders. As a result they have a high incidence of alpha behavior, as ours do. They are generally solitude-tolerant (the pack leader don't need no damn companions to feel at ease), don't even really form a pack at most times because nobody wants to follow anybody else, respect human authority only grudgingly, and have no reluctance to show hostility to a human they don't trust. We've learned over the years to trust their judgment, even if it's a relative.

What part was hard to understand? If I understand what you don't understand,I can go S L O W again....

It is real in our dogpark. But the stat sample is too small, so if you have experience with dogs,you can put your input in. That's why I posted because I was curious if others had the same experience...

I worked in a Humane Society once and the dogs there were all barking at each other. That's why I stated what I did because I know that most dogs bark to let out frustration and other stuff.

It is real in our dogpark. But the stat sample is too small, so if you have experience with dogs,you can put your input in. That's why I posted because I was curious if others had the same experience...

Its pack hierarchy. There can be multiple females within a pack fighting for dominance, but the loser of such battles is not usually driven from the pack.

With males there is a top dog and losers of such challenges face expulsion. So the lack of growling on the male dogs part is a reflection of their not being willing to challenge the hierarchy, or their acceptance of the human dominate in their idea of the dog park pack.

I worked in a Humane Society once and the dogs there were all barking at each other. That's why I stated what I did because I know that most dogs bark to let out frustration and other stuff.
Dogs also bark simply to communicate and establish pack relations. By human standards they'd have bad eyesight at best (poodles) and at worst they'd be legally blind (Lhasa Apsos). They're very sound-oriented. If they're in an institutional setting where they can't see each other, they're very likely to talk. Dogs have a very strong pack instinct and when you throw a bunch of strangers together they have to work at forming a pack. The ones with the strongest alpha traits, in particular, will vie for leadership. If they're prohibited from doing that in the normal ways of physical competition and intimidation, they have to do it "verbally."

We have two intact males, and a neutered bitch, and she's definitely top dog. Between the two males, who we had for five years before introducing the bitch, there was no obvious dominance, but they are brothers from the same litter, and have always been treated as if I was alpha.

Then we got the bitch. If I take her out alone, she's nice and obedient, I guess recgonising me as alpha, but all together, she asserts herself on one of the males in particular. She's not top dog over me, but she sure thinks she isn't bottom of the pack, and yes, she does make more nose than the males.

What sex were they playing with? Our bitches would growl when a dog got too amorous in his advances, but otherwise only growled when threatened, or when defending the house or when playing with each other. But I am sure I have also seen male dogs growling.

Dogs can bark at each other for reasons other than agression. My female Boxer, Marley, will run up and down along the side fence with my next door neighbor's female dog, Shaka, both barking at each other the whole way. It looks mean but it isn't. Marley has sneaked over next door under the fence before. I've caught her over there and her and Shaka are just running around having the best of time.
There are innumerable things that will make dogs bark and growl.
Even when play fighting they can sound rather serious and nasty.
I can grab Marley and shake and playfully poke at her and she will growl at me. But I also know the difference between her play growl and a serious one.
You can also look at their back...if they're serious the hair on the back of their neck will stand up. Their ears will also be back and the serious, pissed-off look on their face will be unmistakable.
An easy way to curb behavior like that is to 'correct' them as soon as you see them get into that 'mode'. A simple, 'Ehh!!' or 'Hey!' will work. As long as you can break their concentration, you can curb them. It may take several attempts but keep at it.

I watch the show"the dog whisperer" and there all the dogs are barking.

Me too! I credit that show to the reason my dogs are so well behaved.
You can't argue with Cesar standing in the middle of 15 or 20 dogs and they are all just chillin'. There are no camera tricks for that.

What sex were they playing with?

This is a good question. Mostly I noticed it when playing with my male dog, but from now on I will try to see if there is an established pattern.

I watch the show"the dog whisperer" and there all the dogs are barking.

Dude, you have serious problems with reading comprehension. This is the 2nd thread today when I find you not understanding the original post. Not barking, growling. There is a difference....

Back