Fat people and their chins

alexb123

The Amish web page is fast!
Valued Senior Member
If a bearded normal size man has a beard and then puts on 10 stone and acquires a double chin, is the beard still made up of the same amount of hairs?

(this is not 99% sure)

I believe so. hair follicle are created during early development of an organism in precise patterns and with precise identity and that is it. However, I have never looked into the matter of beard hair follicles.

Let me have a quick look on Pubmed...

Yes, it seems so:

Androgens are the main regulator of normal human hair growth. After puberty, they promote transformation of vellus follicles, producing tiny, unpigmented hairs, to terminal ones, forming larger pigmented hairs, in many areas, e.g. the axilla.

So existing hair follicles seem to be transformed under the influence of hormonal changes into a new state. In this case beard follicles.

Still not 99% sure though.

And balding is the opposite effect under the same hormonal stimuli:

In genetically predisposed individuals, androgens also cause the reverse transformation of terminal scalp follicles into vellus ones, causing balding.

Excellent question. Rare I cannot find the asnwer to something on google but this had me stumped. As a hairy fat b*stard I want 100% certainty please spurious ;)

This is not Science but the question came from seeing a man with a triple chin and the most spread out beard I have ever seen in my life. Therefore, I would say ‘same amount of beard, bigger chin coverage’. But who knows if this would be the same for everyone..........

Back