???faith???

b0urgeoisie

I am the Bourgeois
Registered Senior Member
What is faith to you?
Is faith important?
Please if you quote scripture then explain what it means.
Please describe faith and not faith in someone or something.
(ie. faith is not faith in god.)

b0urgeoisie said:
What is faith to you?
Is faith important?
Please if you quote scripture then explain what it means.
Please describe faith and not faith in someone or something.
(ie. faith is not faith in god.)
In Sweden faith and belief use the same word - which is TRO. If "tro" is used in one situation it is translated into "belief" (for example - I believe blahablaha is nonsense) and in another situation it is translated into "faith" (for example - I have faith in you).

Trust is almost the same as faith. But faith is a higher trust. Also is a higher "belief", though it is from the same "tree".

To have faith in God is to my view, to let Him in your life and don't try to stop what He is trying to reveal to you. To trust that God knows best, and to trust that it will be allright in the end.

Faith, I believe, is very important.

Thank you. I also believe faith is closer to belief than other actions like trust or thought or love. I think what sets faith apart from those and especially from belief is it requires more action. Faith, I believe is measured in action. The process of faith seems to be I am doing blah blah blah because I have faith that blah blah blah. In other words I am doing - because I believe that xxx is so I trust that my actions will result in yyy and I care about or love xxx and/or yyy enough to desire the result of my actions.

"faith is not faith in God"

What kind of statement is that? :rolleyes:

You ask for my opinion and then tell me what I can't think..

------------

Romans 4

20He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness."

That is the definition of faith. The man being described in these verses is Abraham, he is called "the father of all those who believe". Therefore we have a bit to learn from him.

§outh§tar said:
"faith is not faith in God"

What kind of statement is that? :rolleyes:

You ask for my opinion and then tell me what I can't think..

------------

Romans 4

20He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22And therefore "it was accounted to him for righteousness."

That is the definition of faith. The man being described in these verses is Abraham, he is called "the father of all those who believe". Therefore we have a bit to learn from him.

In respoonse to your concern-
You can type whatever you want. But, to answer my question you cannot do what you have done. You cannot define a word using the same word. Also, you used a scripture to explain what faith means to you and did not expound to establish the meaning of faith for you. I can read that same passage and may or may not get the same understanding you have. I am trying to gain an understanding of what people think of faith. To help filter out nonsense I gave some instruction on the form you should use in providing your answer.
In response to your attitude-
Your answer to my question was in essence - I'm a little kid and you can't tell me what to do. I wanna talk with the grown-ups so I will type something but I lack the ability to act like a grown-up so to hell with you and your POLITE request.
Or perhaps it was more like a dog pissing on the corner just to remind everyone he is there.

If you would like southy you may read the response cyperium gave and model yours like that one. That person gave a mature, insightful, extensive, personal and appropriate response.

The problem with saying faith is faith in god is that is like saying reading is reading a book. I can read a magazine or directions or a number of things. Whether you feel it is right or wrong persons can have faith in things other than God. So saying faith is faith in God is narrow and mostly incorrect.

What is faith to you?
Trust. Faith does not necessarily have to be in God but does involve personification. Faith that is not within God will be filled with something not of God.

Is faith important?
Yes. Do you believe the expression that if you do not trust completely, you do not love completely?

okinrus said:
Faith that is not within God will be filled with something not of God.

How can there be something that is not of God? Doesn't God encompass everything? Isn't God everywhere?

Faith is believing something that cannot be proven. It is important, since there is no absolute way to prove there is God, or reality even, so you either have faith in these things, or doubt your entire life away

How can there be something that is not of God? Doesn't God encompass everything? Isn't God everywhere?
Physically, yes.

Faith is believing something that cannot be proven. It is important, since there is no absolute way to prove there is God, or reality even, so you either have faith in these things, or doubt your entire life away
DJ Erock, this is not how most believers define faith.

My faith belongs in me. I believe that faith should come from the self. That when you have faith in yourself, you then have the ability to have faith in others. Faith for me is like confidence, to believe in yourself, and your abilities. That you are confident in who you are and what you can do. If you do have that confidence then you no longer have faith.

Now what I said there can apply to other faiths, for sure. Like having confidence in god, and your faith in god. If you don't have confidence in your own faith then you truly don't believe in your faith. I'm not trying to encourage being blind with your faith, but more to having an understanding of what you believe.

I'm kinda tired I hope that wasn't confusing. Piece

What is faith to you?

To me, faith is as inherent to a living human as inherent as life itself is. I presume everyone who is alive also has faith.

However, how this faith is conceptualized and verbalized -- this is a whole different matter, and this is where people greatly differ.
Some conceptualize it as religious faith, some as scientific faith, ...; some can give clear verbal answers if asked after their faith, some other stammer, someone may even draw a picture instead of using words.

Since there are so many different conceptualizations and verbalizations of faith, it is easy to happen that people don't see or don't understand eachother's faith, even end up thinking the other person doesn't have faith, or, in comparison with them, one may end up thinking one doesn't have faith oneself.

But, as long as one is alive, one has at least some faith, regardless whether one is aware of that faith or not. One's life is something to work on -- and what needs to be done is easily to be seen by that very person when they look into the mirror. What they do afterwards, is an action of faith.

Is faith important?

Yes. I think what I said above shows enough anchoring points as to why faith is important.

@ b0urgeoisie

Hebrews 11
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

It is unfortunate that your reply, you ignored my post in order to make ad hominem remarks. I invite you to reread v21; the keywords being "fully convinced". I am sure you will be able to understand this definition of faith given from Scripture without my input lest my comments again fail to meet your standards.

Faith is something that Paul dreamed up. As you know, I believe Paul was the Antichrist, and so there must be something evil concerning the whole idea of Faith. Lets look.

Many New Age movements exploit the idea of Faith, for instance, if you have Total Faith that you will Win the Lottery, then you will win the lottery. They sell books and tapes on how to develop such Total Faith. But, somehow, it is never the Teacher's fault that no student ever sucks it up and actually demonstrates such Faith. Indeed, the students were silly in the beginning that they never asked for proof.

But that is the Catch 22 of Faith. When paul hijacked Christianity and all of the Demonstrative Fruits of the Holy Spirit of the Genuine Church subsequently dried up, his congregations demanded an Explanation -- "Where did all the Miracles of Christ go?" Paul's shrewd answer was that the People had lost their Faith. It wasn't that the Teaching had gone off track and got lost into fruitless Error, it was that his Congregations were not believing hard enough.

Christ did not ask anybody to have Faith.

He wanted people to 'seek, knock and find'.

Any legitimate Yoga Teacher nowadays be would drummed out of The Movement if they were to resort to demanding that excuse for Shams -- Faith.

That Wishing can make dreams come true is a destructive fable taught to children.

Through their Effort, Students in Spirituality attain to ever greater knowledge and Power. Faith has nothing to do with it.

okinrus said:
Trust. Faith does not necessarily have to be in God but does involve personification. Faith that is not within God will be filled with something not of God.

Yes. Do you believe the expression that if you do not trust completely, you do not love completely?

Thank you. Trust is key to faith. I am not familiar with your expression but it makes good sense.

Circe said:
How about child abuse?
How about rape?
What about murder?
Is god present there? Are those things of God? Unless you have a very rogue perception of what God is He cannot be. (If the masculine offends you it is not meant to.) I ask you these things to help point out that it is not blasphemous to examine life seperate from God. Most people believe that if there is a God then you are going to have to get to him on your own. The easiest religion I know of (Born again Christian/Independant Baptist) only requires you acknowledge Christ and accept him into your heart. Even if it is that easy you still must do at least that.
That is why I am asking for YOUR understanding of faith. Not your favorite scripture.(Southy) Your definition of faith should be applicable to things outside of pure religion.

DJ Erock said:
Yes existentialism is nice and sexy. Your first sentence is a good response. It is similar to some that have become very cliché but it appears original and appropriate. Your understanding of faith is centered on belief. I am curious to know if you think faith requires action or just leads to action.

soulmind666 said:
My faith belongs in me. I believe that faith should come from the self. That when you have faith in yourself, you then have the ability to have faith in others. Faith for me is like confidence, to believe in yourself, and your abilities. That you are confident in who you are and what you can do. If you do have that confidence then you no longer have faith.

Now what I said there can apply to other faiths, for sure. Like having confidence in god, and your faith in god. If you don't have confidence in your own faith then you truly don't believe in your faith. I'm not trying to encourage being blind with your faith, but more to having an understanding of what you believe.

I'm kinda tired I hope that wasn't confusing. Piece
Confusing? Well, a little. It looks like you are contradicting yourself. I wonder if you are saying faith leads to confidence. Then when confidence is achieved you have no need for faith. I am not sure that I understand.

RosaMagika said:
To me, faith is as inherent to a living human as inherent as life itself is. I presume everyone who is alive also has faith.
All people have faith? Interesting.

RosaMagika said:
However, how this faith is conceptualized and verbalized -- this is a whole different matter, and this is where people greatly differ.
Some conceptualize it as religious faith, some as scientific faith, ...;
It don't think good science allows for faith. That does not say a scientist cannot be religious. He just can't use terms like faith or hope when he is developing his art.
Can you imagine lying on a table when the Doctor tells you I hope this works as he puts you under. They would have to change the bedsheets if it was me.
RosaMagika said:
some can give clear verbal answers if asked after their faith, some other stammer, someone may even draw a picture instead of using words.
Yes an understanding of communication skills should help any discussion.
RosaMagika said:
Since there are so many different conceptualizations and verbalizations of faith, it is easy to happen that people don't see or don't understand each other's faith, even end up thinking the other person doesn't have faith, or, in comparison with them, one may end up thinking one doesn't have faith oneself.
Yes it is true. Even from the few responses on this thread it is clear people have different ideas. However, I am curious to know what you think faith is. You have made a good argument for why an understanding of faith is important. You established, for the sake of your argument that faith is in everybody. So if you are correct than I must know it to know myself. Please tell me what this faith is that, you claim, is in me.

Back