Face Transplants

Thor

"Pfft, Rebel scum!"
Valued Senior Member
I know this could go into a few other areas, but this seems too much of an ethical issue

FACE TRANSPLANTS

Face transplants could be available within 18 months, according to surgeons looking into the treatment.

Experts claim that new techniques and improved anti-rejection drugs have made it possible to graft a face on to another person.

Plastic surgeons will be able to transplant full faces for seriously disfigured patients.

A team of clinicians looking into the surgical treatment is understood to have been created at the Royal Free Hospital in north London.

Debate

The method will be debated at the British Association of Plastic Surgeons conference in London.

Plastic surgeon Peter Butler, from the Royal Free Hospital, has argued that the procedure could be around 18 months away.

Mr Butler said there were ethical considerations with the treatment.

Benefits

But, he added: "Those who have suffered severe facial deformities from burns, cancer patients who have had facial surgery, or people who have been disfigured in accidents, could benefit."

During the lengthy operation, eight different blood vessels, four arteries and four veins would have to be removed from the donor.

The recipient would need their facial muscles and skin removed for the operation.

From Skynews
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30700-12180720,00.html

I'm a little on the fence on this. First thing that comes to mind is that it can help disfigured people.
But, the reletives of the person whose face was transplanted might take seeing their loved ones face again, alive and well.

Another thing that is worrying is that "backstreet" operations may be performed and may be used in organised crime or espionage.

Well, anyone who reads this, just go nuts, put down what you feel about the issue.

One word.

FACE/OFF

I agree that it would be more detrimental than beneficial. Well, this came out just in time for Michael Jackson to get a new face. :bugeye:

I don't see much of a problem with this. I think that the possability of "Backstreet" face operations is pretty damn slim, considering the skill needed to even atempt to proform this sort of thing, not to mention that it requires long term treatment so that the new tissue is not rejected.

Also, I don't much care how a doner's family would feel, that's kind of a mute point next to correcting a REAL problem, besides, I'm fairly sure that the loved one in question would have to be dead to begin with (Haha, or the doctors are going to have to pull something really extrodinary out of their asses) so what the hell does it matter? Anyone who would oppose it for that reason is just a anti-progressive superstitional sham of a person who should join the modern world! But that's just my two cents.

Donors

How would you get donors for this prosedure? I assume they would have to be dead, but who would volounteer themselves or departed loved ones as a face donor? And really if somones face looks good enough that somone actualy wants it dosnt that mean the donor died tragicly young and beautiful? Or are we going to have a lot of wrinkly old looking face transplant recipiants.

and how about botox, paralyzing their faces so they wont get wrinkles?! Haha thats almost too good to be true, where do i sign up!

Another word. FACE/OFF.

Sucks to be you if you don't know what the fuck I'm talking about here.

Yes, the donor would have to be dead.

This would cause tremendous pain for the deceaseds family for sure

Or, we could surmount that morality barrier and clone/geneticaly alter humans just for producing new faces...*realizes what he just said* *screams and faints*

...gurgle...

Well, I don't really know how much pain this would cause the family of the diseased. . . I mean for one, what are the chances of them ever actualy seeing the guy who gets their loved one's face? And besides, just as with most organ donations, they themselves would likely have to give consent to have their departed family member's face removed for transplant (unless of course the dead person in question signed up to be a face doner while he was still alive, in which case it's still his own wishes which are being carried out, so maybe the family could at least take some comfort in that this is how poor dead whats his name wanted)

Back