Extremophilic DNA/RNA?

draqon

Banned
Banned
A while ago if I remember correctly I heard about some sort of extremophiles that lived underneath the ocean in the volcanic vents, and supposevly they have some different RNA (or was it DNA) from all the living organisms of Earth.

but I cannot find any links at all...can someone help me please.

Studying redesigned genetics is a interest of mine: Peptide nucleic acids could hypothetical work at much higher temperatures then DNA/RNA, without the repulsion of the negatively charged phosphate groups it forms much stronger helix but at the price that it can dissociate/denature easily for replication purposes... unless the temperature was higher. As far as known PNA is a synthetic construct and has no natural existence in terrestrial biology.

Thats the group that is doing the research on the extremophiles they found in South Africa. You have to wait for the animation to get over and access the links to the info.

Thats the group that is doing the research on the extremophiles they found in South Africa. You have to wait for the animation to get over and access the links to the info.

I did already, draqon wants specifics on novel genetic mechanism found in extremophiles, can you link that specifically and not the the research news server in general that might have such information.

for example if you wanted a specific article on a UFO spotted at the burial of Princesses Dania I'm not going to be able to get away with just linking to the BBC's front page.

I don't think they have reached that stage yet. From the page I linked:

Sulfate reducing bacteria appear to dominate this ecosystem; other indigenous microbial species can be detected, but their pathways of electron transfer are not fully characterized. We are interested in the identification of specific genes that are critical to the survival of microbes in a wide range of subsurface environments.

http://www.indiana.edu/~deeplife/homepg.html

They also have a podcast page here:

http://podcast.iu.edu/portal/PodcastPage.aspx?podid=d6875a3d-cbe4-4b94-aca2-5874954ec2f8

edit: I found some more info:

Since many reactions are thermodynamically more favorable at high temperatures, it has been suggested that hydrothermal environments were the cradle of this “metabolic life.” But Lazcano argued that conversion of this kind of “life” to living organisms required the emergence of a genetic system, raising the problem of nucleic acid stability. Dealing with the latter issue, T. Oshima (Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science) presented data showing that unusual polyamines typical of hyperthermophiles protect both DNA and RNA from denaturation and chemical damage, raising the possibility that these molecules had an essential role in an RNA world.

Another player suggested to have a crucial role in the adaptation of life to very high temperatures, and possibly in the origin of hyperthermophiles, is reverse gyrase, an enzyme inducing positive supercoiling into DNA. P. Forterre (Université Paris-Sud) searched all available genomes for proteins present in all hyperthermophiles and absent in all other organisms. Surprisingly, the only hyperthermophile-specific protein he retrieved is reverse gyrase (8).

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=161588

Glad to oblige. I don't know much about it, except what I read here and there in the news. I just remembered that IU had found them in South Africa.

Two easy things: different GC content (depend on temperature) as well as connected different codon biases.

Back