Extra Toes

Bowser

Namaste
Valued Senior Member
So my wife and daughter brought home a puppy several weeks back. A curious thing is that it has an extra toe on each back foot. I'm curious what genetic relic, if any, might be responsible? I know some people have extra toes and fingers, but I don't understand how the genetics happen. Are they an error or a throwback from earlier evolution?

My not infallible memory tells me that there are humans with 6 useful fingers: Actually 5 fingers & an opposing thumb.

I am almost certain I have read reliable sources describing such folks.

I do not remember reading about humans with extra fingers which are not as useful as the regular 4, but assume there are such.

A friend whom I've known for 35 years was born with an extra finger next to his pinkie.

Though perfectly viable, the doctors wanted to remove it for the sake of aesthetics.
Alas, they argued over the issue so long that the cartilage began to partly calcify into bone.
Now he has a nub next to each pinkie knuckle.

No.
The intelligent designer is just working on a new model.
Alex

:) Really? :)

Lets hope he upgrades the waste water and reproductive system on the male

AND

The solid waste management and playground facility on the female

Forget the adding to the digital region :)

:)

Other improvements:

- solid waste outlets shall have their perimeter kept clear of any encroaching foliage

All I know about extra toes is its actually a common congenital malformation or a birth defect. Based on the article that I have read, it is caused by a genetic mutation which is an abnormal condition.

All I know about extra toes is its actually a common congenital malformation or a birth defect. Based on the article that I have read, it is caused by a genetic mutation which is an abnormal condition.
Yes. It's genetic, not a birth defect.

Are we talking about the puppy's toes?

You're going to have a part of its body cut off because it bothers you?
Well, I'm considering. Seems like an unnecessary appendage. They don't serve any purpose and sometimes get caught in the carpet or furniture. And, yeah, they are distracting.

Back