Exorcism-only for atheists,agnostics and open minded people...

Gravage

Registered Senior Member
Belief in the possibility of demonic possession has waned since the advent of sophisticated medical knowledge. What had previously been considered to be examples of control of an individual by a spirit or devil are now commonly accepted as numerous forms of mental illness, easily explained by nervous system activity. If all types of behavior (including emotional states and cognitive states) are produced and mediated solely by the brain, there leaves no potential for such a phenomenon as demonic possession to exist and such cases would clearly be instances of various illnesses. However, neuroscience has not yet been able to explain all of the characteristics common to purported cases of demonic possession ((1)....

http://www.fortea.us/english/psiquiatria/demonic.htm

So,what do you think,will science be able to prove and explain entirely these demonic possessions,levitation, wounds appearing upon the victim that have not been inflicted by the self or another concrete source, knowledge of languages never before studied, sometimes never even heard, and psychic abilities such as knowing facts about other individuals that have never been met and etc...?
What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
science is a marvelous tool and method, but it's users are far less perfect. Science explains nothing, the interpretation of the scientific data does. of course it also depends on the quality (if any) of data acquired.
with proper base knowledge, input data and tools a lot of things _can_ be explained, but the ability to explain usually lacks behind. and because humans hate not to be able to explain something, they invent explanations (myths, religions, ufo's, etc). They speak of supernatural, but I say that everything is natural.
When humankind will be smarter and more intelligent - I don't see the limitations why science won't be able to explain anything. Give science and humankind time - it is we who went from the first flight to the first human in orbit in less than 60 years.

Other than movies, heh, I don't know of any real exorcism cases. If you have any links to some, that'd be great. Because I haven't read any cases about them, I figure exorcisms are just something that were previously unknown (not spiritually but physically) such as what was originally quoted in the first post. Usually when something is unexplainable, it's tossed up to being spiritual in nature just because that's something we'll never have proof of.

- N

science is a marvelous tool and method, but it's users are far less perfect. Science explains nothing, the interpretation of the scientific data does. of course it also depends on the quality (if any) of data acquired.
with proper base knowledge, input data and tools a lot of things _can_ be explained, but the ability to explain usually lacks behind. and because humans hate not to be able to explain something, they invent explanations (myths, religions, ufo's, etc). They speak of supernatural, but I say that everything is natural.
When humankind will be smarter and more intelligent - I don't see the limitations why science won't be able to explain anything. Give science and humankind time - it is we who went from the first flight to the first human in orbit in less than 60 years.

I completely agree with you here with everything you said,and yes I do believe like you that science would be able to explain and irrefutably prove everything.We just need time.And I also agree with you that everything is really natural,although more than 90% don't believe so.

Back