EXAMINATION: examination!

Dreamsa

Dare to Dream!
Registered Senior Member
Hi!
I got a problem like this:
Are examinations essential for education?
Can anyone tell me about the education system at their place, whether they need examinations?
Feel free to talk about your feeling of examinations?
Do you think they are needed?
I just want to know!
Merry X'mas!!!
:) :) :)
May the Lord bless us and keep us!

Exams are a good incentive to actually do some work. I find that students become quite focussed close to exam time. :)

Hi!

In my place, people are always suggesting that exams give students too much pressure, do you think so?
:)

Hi!

The examination I am talking about:
An examination given at the end of the term for a student to finish it in a certain period of time(2or3hrs).Questions are asked in the exam and students need to give their answers on the answer book.
The purpose is to test how much the students learnt from the course materials.

Dreamsa ...

I think I would state it a bit differently.

The purpose of 'most' tests appears to be checking how much information the
student retains at the end of the course.

I personally feel that the 'learning' comes later, when the information is related
to other information and original thought occurs (something that, admittedly, may
never happen).

Take care ;)

Dreamsa,

I’ve had the advantage of observing the teaching systems in both the UK and the USA, and I still have daughters in both systems.

The two systems are extremely different. In the USA there is very little emphasis on exams compared to the UK. But there is continuous assessment throughout the learning period, e.g. semester, quarter, course. Here they talk about GPA (Grade Point Average), that ranges from 0 to 4, although it is possible to go above 4. But a 4 is typically someone who has achieved straight A’s for pretty much every piece of work. A 3 is considered pretty good for most people and I like the fact that auto insurance companies quote lower premiums for students with GPA of 3 or above.

The pressure for students here is continuous since virtually every piece of work is assessed. There is also usually an exam at the end of a course but they tend to be shorter than in the UK and represent a smaller proportion of the final course grade. Pressure for exams is not very high.

When I was at school in the UK (1956 thru 1971) none of my coursework was assessed and everything rested on one or two 3 hour final exams at the end of two years of study. These were the GCEs (General Certificates of Education), O (ordinary) and A (advanced) levels. The pressure for these exams was extreme and I hated the whole system.

The UK has now changed to the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) system where some coursework is taken into account, but it is nowhere as comprehensive as the USA system. This is now a pretty good system.

But the downside with the USA system is that if you have a lot of illness or other absences then you will have difficulty keeping up with the coursework. There are no excuses for not doing the work. As a parent I was given GPA updates on my kids about every 6 weeks, so I knew exactly their progress. For many kids at HS this was a real pain because if they weren’t doing so well then their parent applied tremendous pressure for them to raise their grades.

In the UK each course has its own certificate and grade. In the USA students hope to graduate from HS and obtain an HS graduation certificate and a GPA value that represents a composite of all courses taken throughout the HS experience. High School graduation in the USA is a big deal, with costumes and ceremonies, and parties, etc. There is no equivalent in the UK.

As for the learning experience then I don’t think exams are really worthwhile. They are really a test of memory in most cases. Observing my daughters and remembering my own experiences, it is a matter of cramming as much as possible as near to the exam as possible, taking the exam, and then forgetting as much about the subject as soon as possible.

I think there is little point in learning something unless you are going to use that knowledge in some useful manner. It is well established that 80% of the information that is sprayed at students is forgotten within a frighteningly short timeframe. That means 80% of the time you spend in the school system is a waste of time.

I.e. Most education systems in the world are a real mess.

This is probably more than you wanted, sorry.

Cris

Exams are both a motivational tool and a goal-oriented milestone measure.

Exams are a means of forcing you to do something measurable with all the intangibles to which you've been exposed with the understanding that it really is up to you, the person, to convert them into tangible assets for your direct benefit.

those I believe are necessary for one they help with remembering all the curriculum that has been given to them

I have only one thing say
"the only pressured student is the one who did not study for the exam"

unless of course the student has anxiety problems

Hi!

Cris,
Maybe the science subjects need more thinking?
Without exams, can we just find out how much a students 'learnt'?
At least before the exam , students will look at the books and may learn something.

But there are also problems invoving assessment of assignments and classrom performance.
Assess the assignments is a good method but if students discuss about the assignments and do them together, then it can't assess what the student really know.
If we assess performance in classroom, this is a disadvantage to people who do not like to talk.
Therefore I think all these are taken into account is better and exams are still needed.

Any opinions?:)

Last edited:
Examinations and the curriculum itself are in sad need of major overhaul. Paul Simon summed it up with "When I think of all the crap I learned in highschool..." I think real education begins after highschool and, in some cases, after university. In the real world. Exams are torturous nonsense in which the boy/girl with good memory excels and is subsequently rewarded. Retention of data, however, is a poor gauge of intelligence. Education is related to problem-solving and it's very unfortunate that the workplace is full of graduates who can't read and are incapable of original thought. Examinations are partially to blame.

Exams, in the way they are configured are really a waste of time, as many of the posters of this thread have already pointed out. What you actually "get" from school and take to the workforce and life should be the ability to read, write, comprehend, and think using the given material.

Education is merely a broad swath of general education to allow you tools to tune to life as you need to apply them. Almost no course actually gives you the tools to go to work immediately for your employer and do what is needed other than in a general sense, if at all. There is always the learning curve that begins after you are hired until you can be turned loose unassisted to do the job. In a large amount of cases you are faced with yet more school, in some form or other, to come up to speed with what you are expected to do.

In general school, most exams are what the teacher of the course thinks is important. How important it actually is depends solely on that teacher and how close to real life they see things. Sadly, in most cases, this is not what is on the teachers mind as they prepare the exam. More in mind is how to arrange the test for easy grading, what particular subject within the course is of interest to the teacher, and how the last years test was arranged so as to try and foil any who had access to it.

State standardized tests are even worse. As they do not try to take into account what might have been a major learning experience within the classroom. Rather, they look at the subject and say you should have been exposed to this info and therefore should be able to do this. Applicable or not. So teachers are forced to remain within a rigid framework to cover the ground that prepares the student for the next step towards that goal.

Those with good memory do well. those with poor memory or attention span do not do as good. In most cases it is not what you learned but what you can regurgitate on command. Short term memory is all that is engaged and so the learning curve becomes a cliff at the end of the exam.

It is obvious that our schooling system needs major overhaul. But how to fix it? When government gets involved it usually leaves a tangled mess, such as the system now in place. Parents move to locations that qualifiy their children to go to a school that the parents see as benefical to their childrens' learning in some cases. This hardly smacks of education for all. Certainly not quality education, which should be the goal for all who can obtain such and make use of it. Public schools, in some cases, are in such a sad state of affairs that parents will pay for private schooling. Further, public schools constantly face budget cuts, which hinder the student, by lack of learning materials, while the schooling adminstration absorbs a goodly portion of the funds for their salaries. All of this at the determient of the students education. In the end this is reflected by the quality of education and then the quality of the testing and what the testing subjects are to be. Though I do not have the answers to relieve the situtation, I can percieve where there are huge holes within the education process. These holes result in poor education. Where there is poor education, so are the tests that grade a student on how well they have been able to make use of what they have been exposed to.

Yet another problem is that our knowledge is doubling faster than a student or teacher can keep up with. What is being taught in school is now outdated when the student recieves that info. As such only the basics can be given in hopes that a general base is given for which the student can build upon to actually make use of when it comes time to use such knowledge.

Comments on American education ...

"...you'll learn all the wrong things and learn them all in the wrong way.
You'll learn to be a liar and a bully and a braggart and a coward and a sneak.
You'll learn to fear the sunlight and to hate beauty."

"They'll tell you the truth about a great many things you don't give a damn about,
and tell you lies about all the things you ought to know - and about all the things
you want to know, they'll tell you nothing at all."

from "The Adding Machine" by Elmer Rice (written in 1922)

Just so you'all don't think this is anything new.

Take care. ;)

Every non-performing student is a victim. :rolleyes:

You have it, or you don't. The System is secondary.

As a parent, I've always felt responsible for my children's education. Both son and daughter were able to read at age 3. I've helped them in every possible way, with humour, to keep the whole school thing in perspective (including exams). Both were straight A students from kindergarten through Grade 13, and now in university and post-grad studies. My daughter is a hard worker, focused and self-motivated, leading her class in a Master's program. My son is naturally brilliant, kinda lazy, but well-adjusted and fun to be with. At 19, he's already taught me a helluva more than I've taught him. I am a very lucky dad.

"The System is secondary."

Have difficulty with that statement ... Unless you mean that the bright students
will go outside the system?

Curious.

Expanding a little on Mr G.'s point, it is easy to blame "the system" for one's own failings. Students who do not study adequately for exams can always say the process is "stupid" or "useless" or "a waste of time". That avoids having to face up to failing to measure up to set standards. It is an easy option.

For all that, the "system" is not perfect. Some examiners put a lot of thought into exams. They look at the core concepts of the subject they are examining and try to test understanding of those concepts (as opposed to rote memorisation). Other examiners are less skilled at setting exams. Some just want something which is easy to mark. There are good exams and bad exams, defined simply by whether the exam result reflects understanding of the material.

Some people in this thread seem to be confusing curricula with exams. The argument about whether schools or higher education institutions are teaching the right things or not has nothing to do with whether exams are a good form of assessment.

But if you want to talk about curricula, it comes down to a question of the aims of the education. In a technical course, the aim is to learn specific techniques and information which will be useful in a certain profession. In a general university course the aim is not so much to impart particular information as it is to impart a method of problem solving and critical thinking about the subject being taught. People who think university is about rote memorisation are completely missing the point. (Of course, some exams can miss the point, too.)

A few comments on wet1's post, which also apply to some of the other posts here:

<i>In general school, most exams are what the teacher of the course thinks is important.</i>

Surely the teacher is in a better position to judge what is important than the student? Then there are education boards, who set curricula according to perceived importance. They have thought about what should be taught to give a well-rounded education.

<i>How important it actually is depends solely on that teacher and how close to real life they see things.</i>

This kind of thinking is symptomatic of the generally declining public perception of "pure" scholarship. What use is history in everyday life, they ask. What use is philosophy? What use is Ancient Greek? What about Feminist Theory? Fundamental Physics? When you're shopping at the supermarket, none of these things is particularly useful. But in the wider scheme of things each one has unexpected spinoffs, capable of affecting our whole society.

<i>Those with good memory do well. those with poor memory or attention span do not do as good. In most cases it is not what you learned but what you can regurgitate on command.</i>

That is a sign of a bad exam.

<i>It is obvious that our schooling system needs major overhaul.</i>

Is it?

<i>Yet another problem is that our knowledge is doubling faster than a student or teacher can keep up with. What is being taught in school is now outdated when the student recieves that info.</i>

You have to learn to walk before you can run.

In strict response to the question on exams I would say that they are crucial to assessing a students mastery of the material including their ability to independently solve problems and think critically.

Regardless of how well a student can complete work given ample time, the ability to get help, and access to reference materials, it is very important to assess their ability under more controlled circumstances to be able to differentiate the range of ability of those within a class. If memorization isn't important have an open book test or supply a certain amount of common information. In my experience open book tests are generally the most challenging as they require a lot of thought and ability to work through more difficult problems.

Unfortunately I think the US education system has become a bit dominated by its role in juding ability relative to that of supplying a strong general education. A scary situation when you at least theoretically have rule by the general populace.

Issues with poor teachers, bad curricula, and shoddy tests get more at the real problem with most education these days. It is mainly a system for judging ability which is the more important role in the economy as it relates to people. The world thinks too much in economic terms and somehow undervalues education because it isn't really necessary to make money. Or at least not a broad education. Hell a lot of school is to just get people used to social hierarchy and doing work when they're told to. Another role more important for a persons socio-economic role. I think I'll stop here before I start ranting and rambling ...

Hi!

I think that exam is an essential part in assessing the knowledge of a student.
As james R has said, good exams can test the knowledge of a student.
Without exam, are we just letting students out of schools and can we know how much they know?
In exams, we can also test a student ability to handle pressure and can they still perform their best in a state of pressure.

What we learn in school may not be directly related to the real world but we are learning to analyse and to think in school. We are learning the basic skills which we can use after school.
e.g. in science, we learn about analysis and thinking method

Also I think in certain professional fields, memorization is needed!;)e.g. A doctor at least needs to remember the symptoms related to some common diseases or else how can they identify the diseases?:rolleyes:

Back