Evolution of Urine excretion systems

Fafnir665

You just got served.
Registered Senior Member
why don't women have a penis for urination? Wouldn't evolution dictate that the penis is superior for urination, and despite having internal genitalia, give women one because it's inherently safer to stand, then to sit, while relieving ones self? And if this would happen to be the case, why do we shit sitting down? Why can't there be an apparatus similar to the penis that allows us to crap standing up? *confused look* we humans aren't really that evolved if you ask me

Questions that i really want answered/discussed :

What would you call the feces carrying equivalent of a penis?

The main reason for a male to have a penis is for the delivery of sperm, so why have it also carry urine, why not a seperate system, such as in a woman?

Why didn't women develope a penis equivalent not used in the reproductive cycle? Doesn't having just a hole feel like god is punishing you?

Anymore you guys can think up would be cool

fafnir, this is kinda off topic, but i saw that you were from cape cod. hah, that's pretty cool, i go to UMASS dartmouth.

Aren't the genitalia of male and female hyenas indistinguishable? They would then in fact have a penis if this is correct.

edit: here is a link. Their clitoris resembles a penis due to excessive male hormones.

I remember a NG channel wild life show that showed hyenas female raping a hyena male... I just laughed and laughed! A penis is not of any real used besides @#$%ing. So you can stand up while peeing woop-tee-do

i thought this was going to be about different excretion sytems, like in birds and fish. i resisted the urge to call this topic stupid and will presently give my two cents.

first off, in both men and women, the excretion organs are separate from reproductive organs. they just happen to both reside in an out of the way place. the urethra in females opens out from the body as a separate hole from the vagina. they're right next to each other as is the anus but not the same. juvenile boys often think urine is excreted through the vagina but it never enters it. in males, they are separate too but much closer together. the systems are alike but a penis is that same area of flesh pushed out slightly from the body. being able to stand while peeing is nothing more than a bonus. "civilized" humans invented toilets for sitting but we are designed to best eliminate our waste while squatting, both males and females. therefore sitting/standing is irrelevant. women have not developed a "penis" because they don't need one. hyenas have enlarged clitori but that is partially functional in reproduction so that doesn't answer the question. you also didn't ask about other species.

"Doesn't having just a hole feel like god is punishing you?"
this sounds like more of an opinion question than scientific. my answer: heeeeeeell no. women's genitalia is streamlined and more logical. there is no peice of useless flesh flopping around getting in the way. all the sexual nerves are collected very neatly in a tiny area and the reproductive organs are housed within the body where they are protected. there is also the myth that the vagina is a gaping hole. it's not wide open when not in use guys!

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
Aren't the genitalia of male and female hyenas indistinguishable? They would then in fact have a penis if this is correct.

edit: here is a link. Their clitoris resembles a penis due to excessive male hormones.
A picture would be nice :D

Back