Evolution, humanity and enlightenment

thefountainhed

Fully Realized
Valued Senior Member
Maybe this will be simple for those well-versed in eastern thoughts, but a single thought in the form of a question(s) keeps going through my head.

[simplistically]: Eastern 'religious' thought takes the stance that one's true 'nature' is divine; that although humanity is fundamentally divine, most are unaware of this state through ignorance. To therefore transcend this unaware state and realize one's true self, one needs enlightenment or wisdom. My question is whether any revisionism is being done to reconcile current knowledge of evolution with the idea of enlightenment. In essence, if humans evolved from 'beasts' at what stage in this evolutionary process did we become truly divine (human)? Or is our past history as a species irrelevant?

Originally posted by thefountainhed
Maybe this will be simple for those well-versed in eastern thoughts, but a single thought in the form of a question(s) keeps going through my head.

[simplistically]: Eastern 'religious' thought takes the stance that one's true 'nature' is divine; that although humanity is fundamentally divine, most are unaware of this state through ignorance. To therefore transcend this unaware state and realize one's true self, one needs enlightenment or wisdom. My question is whether any revisionism is being done to reconcile current knowledge of evolution with the idea of enlightenment. In essence, if humans evolved from 'beasts' at what stage in this evolutionary process did we become truly divine (human)? Or is our past history as a species irrelevant?
----------
M*W: Excellent question, hed! With the census of xianity dropping, I would think more people are becoming enlightened than becoming disillusioned. I believe a spiritual "revision" is taking place. Our humaness is divine. We have been divine the whole time we've been evolving. Technically, I guess you could say that we are in the last days of "creation." We're not finished yet. Our divinity was established even before we were created and will continue beyond our present state as we evolve forward to the future toward Homo spiritus (I don't give a rat's ass what okinrus says). The human race is the face of God on Earth. Thanks for your question!

[simplistically]: Eastern 'religious' thought takes the stance that one's true 'nature' is divine; that although humanity is fundamentally divine, most are unaware of this state through ignorance. To therefore transcend this unaware state and realize one's true self, one needs enlightenment or wisdom. My question is whether any revisionism is being done to reconcile current knowledge of evolution with the idea of enlightenment.
I find the term divine to be something of a misnomer in this context but eastern religion seems to have far less trouble with the concept of evolution than Abrahamic religions. Animals are included in the karmic cycle and regarded as sentient beings, generally considered to be further 'behind' humans but on the same path towards enlightenment as humans. Additionally, philosophies such as Buddhism are far less doctrinal than their western counterparts. The central axioms are rather flexible and allow for an easier adaptation to changes such as scientific discovery.

~Raithere

In essence, if humans evolved from 'beasts' at what stage in this evolutionary process did we become truly divine (human)? Or is our past history as a species irrelevant?

Eastern religion has its basis in Vedic knowledge, in fact i would say the Abrahamic religions are all based on the Vedas, but that is another argument.

The vedic evolutionary process differs from the Darwinian in that the common ancestor is a super intellignt humanoid, not a single-celled bacterium. In addition, all species of life evolve from a complex form to the simple structure, not the other way round as Darwin suggested. Genes of a complex species contain all the necessary genetic information to build genes of simpler species, not vice-versa.
In addition to the evolution of physical forms, the Vedic literature describes another type of evolutionary process, that of consciousness. The units of consciousness within the body of all species are indestructible. These individual units of cnosciouisness are qualitatively identical with each other, yet they display a cerain range of powers and abilities based upon the particular characteristics of the physical forms they inhabit. The Vedas explain that the conscious units are evolving from lower slpecies to higher. So during the evolutionary process the imperishable conscious units transmigrate from lower to higher e.g. from ape to man. So it is in agreement with Darwin that that man came from ape, but not through physical transformation.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Re: Re: Evolution, humanity and enlightenment

<b>M*W:</b>

<i>We have been divine the whole time we've been evolving.</i>

Is it only the particular branch of the evolutionary tree that humans sprang from, or does it include all our common ancestors too? Are worms divine too? What about mice? We share around 50% of our DNA with them. What about Chimpanzees? We're 98% the same as them genetically - surely they must be divine?

<b>Jan:</b>

<i>The vedic evolutionary process differs from the Darwinian in that the common ancestor is a super intellignt humanoid, not a single-celled bacterium.</i>

Where did the super-intelligent humanoid come from?

<i>In addition, all species of life evolve from a complex form to the simple structure, not the other way round as Darwin suggested.</i>

Why don't we see that happening in nature?

<i>Genes of a complex species contain all the necessary genetic information to build genes of simpler species, not vice-versa.</i>

That's obviously wrong.

You don't contain all the genes necessary to produce a worm, for example.

<i>The Vedas explain that the conscious units are evolving from lower slpecies to higher. So during the evolutionary process the imperishable conscious units transmigrate from lower to higher e.g. from ape to man.</i>

In Darwinian evolution, there are no "lower" and "higher" species.

And why is it that humans are always the highest, for those who care to rank species in this simplistic way? Coincidence, or arrogance?

Re: Re: Re: Evolution, humanity and enlightenment

Originally posted by James R
Where did the super-intelligent humanoid come from?

From the navel of Garbhodakashayi Vishnu, the stem of a lotus flower grows, and on that lotus flower the first creature, Brahma, is born.

Why don't we see that happening in nature?

What do you mean exactly?

That's obviously wrong.

Why?

You don't contain all the genes necessary to produce a worm, for example.

Brahma, the first being has the capacity to generate living beings from his own body without sexual intercourse. The Vedas informs that there are 8,400,000 species of life, and his body has the genetic information of all species.
In the second stage of evolution, the living entities who were generated from Brahma start procreating by sexual intercours. Some of them are called "progeniters" (praja-patis); there bodies are specially designed to populate the entire universe, they also have the capacity to to generate different species of life.

Just a side note; on this planet there have been experiances of children being born with organs of the lowere species of life, which would indicate that human genes contain genetic information of other life forms.

And why is it that humans are always the highest, for those who care to rank species in this simplistic way? Coincidence, or arrogance?

Living beings are graded by the level of consciousness. The human consciousness is higher than animals because we have the ability to understand ourselves.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Evolution, humanity and enlightenment

Jan:

Sorry. For a minute there I thought we were talking biology. It seems we're talking mythology.

My mistake.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Evolution, humanity and enlightenment

Originally posted by James R
Jan:

Sorry. For a minute there I thought we were talking biology. It seems we're talking mythology.

My mistake.

No need for an apology, it is my fault. I wasn't aware that you knew so much about eastern religion/philosophy, life and its origins, as to totally discard what you call mythology.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Re: Re: Evolution, humanity and enlightenment

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
The vedic evolutionary process differs from the Darwinian in that the common ancestor is a super intellignt humanoid, not a single-celled bacterium. In addition, all species of life evolve from a complex form to the simple structure, not the other way round as Darwin suggested.
What I'm wondering is what these super-beings subsisted on before they devolved into the lower life-forms that we now use as food.

Maybe they ate each other?

~Raithere

(edited to correct a grammatical mistake)

Jan,

From Webster –

Mythology:

1: an allegorical narrative.

2: a body of myths: as a: the myths dealing with the gods, demigods, and legendary heroes of a particular people.

3: a branch of knowledge that deals with myth.

4: a popular belief or assumption that has grown up around someone or something.

Allegory:

1: the expression by means of symbolic fictional figures and actions of truths or generalizations about human existence.

2: a symbolic representation.

The term ‘mythology’ appears to be an accurate description of your primary message. This doesn’t state the message is fictional, but fictional symbolism usually plays a major role, as opposed to literal or factual.

Cris,

The term ‘mythology’ appears to be an accurate description of your primary message. This doesn’t state the message is fictional, but fictional symbolism usually plays a major role, as opposed to literal or factual.

It appears to me that the term 'mythology' is relevant to each individual, not that it really matters in this thread as my response to 'Hed' is to clarify what the Vedic philosophy (a very basic description) regards as evolution.

Raithere,

What I'm wondering is what these super-beings subsisted on before they devolved into the lower life-forms that we now use as food.

Why wonder about that, why not wonder about the super-beings if you must wonder. Maybe you will learn how it works.

Maybe they ate each other?

Who knows eh!!!:rolleyes:

the fountainhed,

Hope we aren't straying too far from the point of this thread.

Love

Jan Ardena.

All:
thanks.

Raithere:
The central axioms are rather flexible and allow for an easier adaptation to changes such as scientific discovery.
Well, is there any move to reconcile religious 'doctrine' with science in this instance, or is the general understanding that none is needed?

Jan:
Thanks for the info...

So it is in agreement with Darwin that that man came from ape, but not through physical transformation.
Is the physical transformation not more important? Either way, so we are divine simply because we are fundamentally divine-- by virtue of stemming from a divine being, as are other beings on earth. Hmm.

Hope we aren't straying too far from the point of this thread.
No, not really...:)

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
Why wonder about that, why not wonder about the super-beings if you must wonder. Maybe you will learn how it works.
Because aside from the fact that there is no supporting evidence at all for this hypothesis of devolution (indeed it contradicts observed facts) it's an obvious flaw in the hypothesis itself.

~Raithere

Well, is there any move to reconcile religious 'doctrine' with science in this instance, or is the general understanding that none is needed?
In regards to my understanding of Buddhism and Taoism, there is nothing that needs to be reconciled.

The primary assertion is that all of existence is transient and that all suffering derives from our desire for that which by its nature is impermanent.

~Raithere

Originally posted by Raithere
but eastern religion seems to have far less trouble with the concept of evolution than Abrahamic religions. ~Raithere

Abrahamic religions??? You must have misunderstood the poor Abraham....He must be tossing and turning in his grave on the thought that anything is being called Abrahamic.

Eastern?? Again, bias and bad geography. Are you sure that you are not effectively contributing to the doctrination equation yourself.

And here's where the problem lies:
You said

What a horrible biased assumption. I would love to see you use that assumption to support the big bang theory. For example, How did the very very hot small object sustain itself before it exploded into our universe.

Seriously now, do you view our universe as a predator feeding frenzy machine? It doesn't take but one look at our environment to realize that our universe is an efficient system of sustenance that relies on transformation, sorting, and balance....Nothing is lost and nothing is destroyed. And what does christianity, Islam, and Judiasm say.....pehaps that the creator is efficient and sustainer who is just in sorting and transforming with balance the creations. How is the so called Abrahamic message so different from Eastern philosophies....Same mirror, just different people looking into it.

The primary assertion is that all of existence is transient and that all suffering derives from our desire for that which by its nature is impermanent.
No, not a reconciliation with the fundamental 'doctrine' itself-- this is unnecessary... I mean with the notion of divinity inherited from a first divine 'human'. I suppose there won't be one needed if people place more value on the 'evolution of consciousness notion presented by Jan, than on physical evolution (Darwinian)....

the fountainhed,

Is the physical transformation not more important?

What do you mean by physical transformation?
As in the 'theory of evolution'?

Either way, so we are divine simply because we are fundamentally divine-- by virtue of stemming from a divine being, as are other beings on earth. Hmm.

I'm not sure whether 'divine' is the right description although i see what you're getting at. But we are 'pure' in our original, fundamental state, which includes all living beings, everywhere.

Raithere,

Because aside from the fact that there is no supporting evidence at all for this hypothesis of devolution (indeed it contradicts observed facts) it's an obvious flaw in the hypothesis itself.

Firstly there is no supporting evidence regarding the nature of 'consciousness' that gives any real clarity as to what it is.
Secondly there is no supporting evidence for the idea of 'evolution of the species', so i fail to see how it contradicts observed facts. :rolleyes:

Love

Jan Ardena.

What do you mean by physical transformation?
As in the 'theory of evolution'?
Yes. Considering the number of people who currently accept/believe in its validity, and also future growth.....

I'm not sure whether 'divine' is the right description although i see what you're getting at. But we are 'pure' in our original, fundamental state, which includes all living beings, everywhere.
What then would best/correct descriptor be, and also can you expand on its meaning?

Originally posted by Flores
Abrahamic religions??? You must have misunderstood the poor Abraham....He must be tossing and turning in his grave on the thought that anything is being called Abrahamic.

Eastern?? Again, bias and bad geography. Are you sure that you are not effectively contributing to the doctrination equation yourself.
I'm simply working within the terminology provided in the post. Although I agree that it is probably not the best way to categorize these religions it sufficed for a simple answer. Generally speaking, the religions that have the most difficulties with scientific discovery are those which rely primarily upon literal interpretations. The more philosophical, mystical, and gnostic expressions do not run into the same doctrinal conflicts and do not typically need to resort to denial or reinterpretation in light of discovery be they Eastern or Western.

What a horrible biased assumption. I would love to see you use that assumption to support the big bang theory.
By sustenance I was referring to food or nourishment not that which (if anything) sustains existence. I don't see where asking that question demonstrates a horribly biased assumption. There are many possible explanations. Perhaps perfect beings require no sustenance. Or perhaps their skin cells contain chlorophyll. Or maybe God rained manna down upon their heads daily. I was simply asking because it seems to be a problem in the hypothesis. Of course, the larger problem is that our observations run contrary to the hypothesis.

Seriously now, do you view our universe as a predator feeding frenzy machine?
No, I was making a simple observation that humanoids tend to need sustenance and satisfy this need by consuming other life forms. The model Jan provided did not offer any alternatives so I asked.

It doesn't take but one look at our environment to realize that our universe is an efficient system of sustenance that relies on transformation, sorting, and balance....Nothing is lost and nothing is destroyed.
Are you addressing the part or the whole? You appear to be mixing the two arenas here. While I might argue that efficiency is a relative assessment the observations you have made here really only apply completely to matter and energy from a Universal perspective. Certainly particular forms can be made and destroyed. And while nature strives towards efficiency certainly all courses are not equally or optimally efficient.

How is the so called Abrahamic message so different from Eastern philosophies.
It depends upon what you interpret the message as being. Primarily, I would say that the 'Western' philosophies have a strong tendency towards doctrinal assertion and literal interpretation. They also tend to rely upon the authority of specific revelations. Certainly there are exceptions but these are rather prevalent in 'Western' traditions while being almost absent in 'Eastern' traditions.

We might take a look at the following, which is attributed to Buddha, and ask ourselves how well this statement might fit into Christianity or Islam:

"Do not believe on the strength of traditions even if they have been held in honor for many generations and in many places; do not believe anything because many people speak of it; do not believe on the strength of sagas of old times; do not believe that which you have yourself imagined, thinking a god has inspired you. Believe nothing which depends only on the authority of your masters or of priests. After investigation, believe that which you yourself have tested and found reasonable, and which is for your good and that of others."

~Raithere

I mean with the notion of divinity inherited from a first divine 'human'.
There isn't one as far as Buddhism or Taoism is concerned.

~Raithere

Back