Evolution- Biology- Rate of Change

wingnut666

Registered Member
There are moments throughout time where evolution pushes forward and different species are capable of evolving at a faster rate than usual. However, this accelerated rate of change takes anywhere from 10,000 years to a million years to occur. With the acceleration of technology in the past 50 years it may become impossible for human evolution to keep up with the pace of technology. What do we do when evolution can't keep up with the rate of change in technology that humans are now forced to confront?

This is probably a horrible example, but it's what comes to mind and hopefully it'll be funny.

In the movie Jurassic Park, the scientist's took knowledge they used for granted, and spliced dinosaur DNA. Those scientist's didn't earn the knowledge of bioengineering of genetic scientists before hand, they took something and didn't even realize what they had before they used it. And then everyone was eaten by dinosaurs.

And I suppose that's the glory of science, to take all the research and confirmation learned by other scientists, to use that knowledge and conduct research that pushes science to the edge.

I'm saying that when scientist's try to make breakthrough's in research(fringe Science), that's when our evolution won't be able to keep up with technology. Which will lead to self destruction.

One mistake and ....... suddenly we got a problem that we don't know how to fix, like say Global Warming. All we can do is try to not make it worse.

I would stay away from Jurassic Park, if I were you.

And change the channel if that "Fringe" program comes on.

There are moments throughout time where evolution pushes forward and different species are capable of evolving at a faster rate than usual. However, this accelerated rate of change takes anywhere from 10,000 years to a million years to occur. With the acceleration of technology in the past 50 years it may become impossible for human evolution to keep up with the pace of technology. What do we do when evolution can't keep up with the rate of change in technology that humans are now forced to confront?

?? How so? Are we being attacked by our technology, or is it just absorbing human jobs?

Complete Genomics is advertising a $5K complete genome sequence with a turnaround time of about 2 weeks...as of June 2009. Who knows what it is now. Jobs sure; 'adaptation' not so much. Probably mostly genetic drift in otherwise debilitating or lethal human diseases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe humans need to evolve to run faster, or deflect plasma beams.

Don't be stupid: how would we evolve to deflect arrows and knives? What would we kill each other with when the batteries for our plasma beams fail?

The point was that we couldn't evolve into a better direction. We got our arses kicked. Ok, we didn't have plasma beams, but we had big guns, rockets, computers, sceince and what have you not.

One human even joined their species. Guess because he saw he couldn't win.

Back