Evidence for Lamarckism

darryl

Banned
Banned
Every year there is always a study in plants, invertebrates etc that is claimed to be evidence for Lamarckism ie evidence for inheritance of acquired characteristics however these studies never make it to the mainstream journals and most folk never hear about them, they are mostly considered fringe science.

As this is a science forum, it would be interesting to see if any users have any of these papers/research etc etc or studies in Lamarckism that I have not heard about. Please list any modern research and or old that may be evidence for any Lamarckian mechanism. I would like to weigh this evidence and see if some kind of case can be made, I personally believe that Lamarckism has not be discredited. Thanks.

How would we know which reports you have not heard about?
Most descriptions of inheritance of acquired characteristics require wholly implausible communication schemes passing of descriptions of acquired characteristics from adult non-reproductive tissues to gonads to gametes to zygote to developed juvenile individual in the absence of population selection pressure. Lamarckism is therefore an extraordinary claim and requires extraordinary evidence to overcome centuries of observation.

Where we have specific biochemical mechanism, some non-Mendelian inheritence may be seen. For example, in single-cell organisms there is a large contamination of the daugher cells of possible state-affecting proteins and RNA from the parent. In plants and animals, hormones in non-reproductive tissue may induce RNA or protein changes in the gametes in a way that affects embryo development. But nothing as grand as Lamarck's statement of belief in forces of "complexification" and "adaption."

How would we know which reports you have not heard about?

Good question if anyone knows of any studies then just paste them in. I am currently researching this topic so I am sure that I have not found all the papers out there, I am very interested in seeing any experiments/studies etc in this area.

According to the science journalist Arthur Koestler there is a kind of supression by advocates of the neo-Darwinian synthesis to ignore or neglect evidence for Lamarckian. I am not going to turn this thread into any conspiracy but my comment would be that I think Lamarckism is still worth looking into.

Theres lots of evidence for Lamarckism, but it rarely makes a mention in any modern textbook on biology.

Lamarckism is therefore an extraordinary claim and requires extraordinary evidence to overcome centuries of observation.

Consider this case:

Planaria is a flatworm with a network of nerves and just the beginnings of the brain. Professor James V. McConnell of the University of Michigan as well as other scientists have carried out interesting experiments with these worms.

This rather is a set of cruel experiments sadly but the results are interesting to study. The worms were subjected to electric shocks which they did not like and wriggled every time the current passed through them. Then shortly before the shocks the experimenters warned the planarian worms of what was coming by a flash of a light bulb. Soon the worms “got wise” that every time the lamp flashed they could expect a nasty shock, and they started wriggling. Obviously the worms learned to associate light flashes with electrical impulses. But that is not all. The scientists made a stew of these educated planarians and fed it to other new worms. When this second different group of worms was experimented with, they learned the lesson of linking the flash of the light bulb to the shocks in half the length of time it had taken the eaten group. How is this possible? It appears the knowledge gained by the stewed worm victims was transferred to the new worms through the digestive tract instead of genes.

Evidence for Lamarckism?

There are a few mechanisms that have a some resemblance to the so called "lamarckian inheritance"*, but this is considerably limited, not something that is anywhere near to dethrone mendelian genetics. And these things are not exactly some sort of underground truth silenced by the mainstream. What happens most of the time is that it's just a totally normal field of research with a little bit of eventual hype from the "media" and perhaps one researcher or another, even though perhaps it could indeed sometimes be excessively underestimated as well.

Search on google scholar for "epigenetics" and you will find tons of papers on mainstream journals.

* "So called" because it's a bit of a misnomer. It was not originally conceived by Lamarck, nor was they key distinction from early Darwinism, which was lamarckian in regard to the theoretical hereditary mechanism. The key distinction is natural selection, some hereditary variations reproducing more or dying more than others, versus exclusive reliance on an "inner drive" towards progress.

Consider this case:

Planaria is a flatworm with a network of nerves and just the beginnings of the brain. Professor James V. McConnell of the University of Michigan as well as other scientists have carried out interesting experiments with these worms.

This rather is a set of cruel experiments sadly but the results are interesting to study. The worms were subjected to electric shocks which they did not like and wriggled every time the current passed through them. Then shortly before the shocks the experimenters warned the planarian worms of what was coming by a flash of a light bulb. Soon the worms “got wise” that every time the lamp flashed they could expect a nasty shock, and they started wriggling. Obviously the worms learned to associate light flashes with electrical impulses. But that is not all. The scientists made a stew of these educated planarians and fed it to other new worms. When this second different group of worms was experimented with, they learned the lesson of linking the flash of the light bulb to the shocks in half the length of time it had taken the eaten group. How is this possible? It appears the knowledge gained by the stewed worm victims was transferred to the new worms through the digestive tract instead of genes.

Evidence for Lamarckism?

Not taking into account the possibility of exaggeration/faulty experiment design/observation, this is an evidence for what it is described, the events, not for an underlying mechanism, which at this point is just a guess. "Lamarckism" is a bit broader and even if such experiments were impeccable and outstanding in its results, it may still be quite specific to these conditions rather than a more general phenomenon.

For example, perhaps those worms, as they pass through the experience, produce some chemistry that has the sole effect of improving their general ability to learn, and this product either remain intact through digestion, or to the degree that it's decomposed it's still more ready to be reconstructed. Or yet, perhaps morel likely, as the worms pass through such situation, they do not simply learn it "for themselves", but they may also release some environmental pheromone which then affects the next generation of worms. So the next generation is not inheriting the "knowledge" from the previous one, but rather some chemistry that signals that they're in an environment with some form of danger, where learning is more crucial.

It could even be something a bit more specific than a "general ability to learn" that is passed on pheromonally or otherwise, like some nearly-specific "fear of light" neurotransmitter. The odds are that this is something that cannot be generalized to something like that it's possible to become smarter/more intelligent/knowledgeable by cannibalizing brains (no caricature intended). Oddly enough, I think that somewhat similar and even more grotesque experiments where animals are induced to cannibalize brains are somewhat likely to yield results that also bring some resemblance to lamarckism -- things that could be interpreted as the animals behaving somewhat more intelligently in general -- but then it would be only because brains are specially nutritious (not only for zombies), and that could be an advantage over the previous generation. It didn't occur to me initially, but it's another possibility for the experiment with the worms, perhaps cannibalism is just specially nutritious and produces worms that are able to learn at a faster pace.

With these attempts to explain it with other things than "knowledge inherited through ingestion" I do not intend to deny that there are instances of lamarckian-like inheritance (like epigenetics, thrift genotype and other cool stuff), but rather to find more parsimonious, mundane alternatives. There's a fringe biologist who I guess would be happy to suggest that this experiment could be explained by telepathy. I think it's more prolific to try to explain things with ordinary phenomena we know to be true rather than coming up with new, extraordinary phenomena. "Eating knowledge" may not be as far-fetched as telepathy, but I think we can come up with considerably more trivial explanations.

Last edited:
First: Neither in my teens nor now do I accept the views of Lemarck & Lysenko, but the following might be interesting.

Lamarck's theories were investigated by Lysenko circa 1925-1940, primarily due to the theories being considered consistent with USSR political views.

When I was in grades 9-12 (circa 1945), my biology teachers repudiated Lysenko’s work, but did so in a manner which indicated obvious bias on their part. An example of their nonsense.
Suppose you cut off the tails of an animal at birth or at some later time in their life span. Would you expect their offspring to be born without tails?​
The above is a ridiculous argument. If natural selection has any merit (& I accepted it at that time), it would prevent any mechanism which resulted in passing on acquired traits which were detrimental. What could be more detrimental to survival than allowing the loss of a limb (or an eye) to be passed on genetically to one’s off spring?

Their attitude resulted in my doing some research on the basis for Lysenko’s POV. I discovered that he worked more with plants than with animals. One example of his research which I remember is the following.
Wild asparagus & wild artichokes are not recognizable to an untrained botanist.

After several generations without cultivation, asparagus & artichokes revert to their wild state. After several generations of cultivation, they regain their familiar form. This is certainly suggestive of acquired traits being passed on genetically

My biology teachers had no explanation for such phenomena & resorted to saying that Lysenko & Lemarck had been discredited. Perhaps more knowledgeable biologists of that era had explanations supporting Darwin. I am guessing that modern epigenetics (? spelling) provides cogent explanations.

I have a vague memory that some of my research suggested that Lysenko was not playing with a full deck.​
While I basically believe in natural selection & also believe that Lysenko was a crackpot, it amuses me that circa 1945 I could find no explanation of why his views were not acceptable other than the claim that they were contrary to Darwinian natural selection.

Refer to Post #6

BTW: I wonder if the modern concept of epigenetics (?spelling?) might have been discovered sooner if mainstream biologists had tried to come up with explanations for some of Lysenko's evidence.

Epigenetics seems like it might be an explanation.

My knowledge of biology & botany is sketchy. Perhaps some one more knowledgeable might have an opinion relating to this & my Post 6

Back